Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

He's not the first UNH dman to leave and go to Quinnipiac
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Chuck, you have to agree that this is a very unique situation. Although Mike didn't delve into this when he talked to Agosta, the impression I got is that he is leaning toward education and eventually a business profession rather than professional hockey. If, in fact, he could have played AHL and turned it down for another year of college hockey, closer to home, while pursuing an advanced degree I don't see where it casts a negative light on UNH. If players were leaving consistently, not to turn pro, but to transfer to another school, I would say that is a real problem.
      I applaud Agosta for opting to further his education, as opposed to going for a quick visit to the AHL and then spending the next few seasons "chasing the dream" in the ECHL or in Europe before getting a late start to the rest of his life. No knock on those who pursue that course, and make it work for their own separate career plans. But there have been more than a few who leave without securing their degrees first. Most eventually finish the work for their degrees afterwards, but some leave it out there unfinished.

But this "closer to home" thing is a thin cover story/excuse. There are dozens of D-1 programs "closer to home" than UNH, and even a couple "closer to home" than Quinnipiac. If you're buying that, I have some *deeded wetlands* to sell you here on the back 40 of the WIS Estate.

That's not a criticism of Agosta or his decision. It's just a reflection on where the UNH program currently stands.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I applaud Agosta for opting to further his education, as opposed to going for a quick visit to the AHL and then spending the next few seasons "chasing the dream" in the ECHL or in Europe before getting a late start to the rest of his life. No knock on those who pursue that course, and make it work for their own separate career plans. But there have been more than a few who leave without securing their degrees first. Most eventually finish the work for their degrees afterwards, but some leave it out there unfinished.

But this "closer to home" thing is a thin cover story/excuse. There are dozens of D-1 programs "closer to home" than UNH, and even a couple "closer to home" than Quinnipiac. If you're buying that, I have some *deeded wetlands* to sell you here on the back 40 of the WIS Estate.

That's not a criticism of Agosta or his decision. It's just a reflection on where the UNH program currently stands.
        Then again...maybe it's a combination of A) Wanting to play closer to home and B) Wanting to be part of a team that could contend for a national championship next year. Just sayin'......
        UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Then again...maybe it's a combination of A) Wanting to play closer to home and B) Wanting to be part of a team that could contend for a national championship next year. Just sayin'......
          That's exactly my point. Once upon a time, that used to be UNH. Not anymore, at least not now.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Quinnipiac fans are probably pleased to hear your optimism Scott. It's worth noting that QU has 4 returning seniors - one a defenseman - and at least 9 incoming freshmen. Last season, the Q lost in the ECAC semifinal to Colgate, then lost to Providence in the 1st round of the NCAA's. Would be a heck of an accomplish for them to win the NC next season.
            Last edited by C-H-C; 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Quinnipiac fans are probably pleased to hear your optimism Scott. It's worth noting that QU has 4 returning seniors - one a defenseman - and at least 9 incoming freshmen. Last season, the Q lost in the ECAC semifinal to Colgate. Would be a heck of an accomplish for them to win the NC next season.
              Actually only two returning seniors in Matthew Peca and Dan Federico both who arrle now the captains. Bryce Van Brabant would have made 3 but signed with the Calgary Flames. Agosta is now our 3rd senior.
              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
              https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                Would be a heck of an accomplish for them to win the NC next season.
                Maybe so. Don't get me wrong Mike - I really like UNH's incoming freshman class, and like how the team will be shaping up in a couple of years. Next year will be ....interesting. To say the least.
                UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  I agree with the player wanting to get an advanced degree that they don't offer at UNH that will serve him better in the future. I think he still will pursue professional hockey after Quinnipiac but having that advanced degree will serve him better down the line since their is very little guarantee he will have a long professional career.
                  So, please remind me what this advanced degree is that Quinnipiac offers but UNH does not.

I do not see how Quinnipiac can miss winning the NC next year to make three in a row for EZAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    So, please remind me what this advanced degree is that Quinnipiac offers but UNH does not.
                    I'm sure they combed through the two schools' respective curriculums (sp?) very carefully to find the exact right *fit*.

Again - this is not to say the student-athlete does not have the right to explore his options.

To me - it's all about said student-athlete seeing QU as a better competitive prospect than UNH.

Serious question ... when is the last time an established player in another program transferred mid-career to UNH? I'm guessing I may have missed one (seriously - not sarcastically), but excluding the Eddie Caron "hey I'm back again guys" game of extended footsie with Yale about a decade ago ... the last one I can remember goes all the way back to Todd Hall (from BC) almost 20 years ago now. Matile (UMaine?) and Conklin (UAA) both came over in the years that followed, but IIRC neither had suited up to play a Varsity game for their original schools by the time they transferred.

Obviously, back when Coach Umile was building the program towards its peak, keeping an ear to the ground for these possibilities was very much part of his protocol. Nowadays ... apparently not really, at least not for awhile. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Serious question ... when is the last time an established player in another program transferred mid-career to UNH? I'm guessing I may have missed one (seriously - not sarcastically), but excluding the Eddie Caron "hey I'm back again guys" game of extended footsie with Yale about a decade ago ... the last one I can remember goes all the way back to Todd Hall (from BC) almost 20 years ago now. Matile (UMaine?) and Conklin (UAA) both came over in the years that followed, but IIRC neither had suited up to play a Varsity game for their original schools by the time they transferred.
                      If it makes you feel any better, BC doesn't get many more transfers in than UNH does. Greg Lauze (MC) and Cory Bilodeau (RPI) are the only two that come to mind in the last 15 years.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        If it makes you feel any better, BC doesn't get many more transfers in than UNH does. Greg Lauze (MC) and Cory Bilodeau (RPI) are the only two that come to mind in the last 15 years.
                        Exactly. How often to D1 players move from one school to another during their four year (or less) career. I don't consider Agosta as a deserter, I think of him as a guy who just wants to advance a non-hockey career. Of course, the other guy who left was Danny Dries. I didn't hear anybody complain about that desertion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          You are right. BC grabs them before they set foot on campus (Milano, Bracco, etc )

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            You are right. BC grabs them before they set foot on campus (Milano, Bracco, etc )
                            Yes good point BC recruits players before they play a game in college.

Does Harvard bring in all transfers that played elsewhere in college first or just bring in all walk-ons that were already on campus before being recruited to play hockey there?
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Exactly. How often to D1 players move from one school to another during their four year (or less) career. I don't consider Agosta as a deserter, I think of him as a guy who just wants to advance a non-hockey career. Of course, the other guy who left was Danny Dries. I didn't hear anybody complain about that desertion.
                              Wasn't Dries told to leave. Pretty sure he got kicked off the team for his off ice actions.
                              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                                Wasn't Dries told to leave. Pretty sure he got kicked off the team for his off ice actions.
                                Yep
                                http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...PORTS/90417044

Comment

Working...
                                X