Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
    My money is on Glenn Stewart!
    My money is on Lassonde. Not because that's who I'd prefer, but because that's how things seem to work at UNH.

Comment

• Originally posted by claw View Post
      My money is on Lassonde. Not because that's who I'd prefer, but because that's how things seem to work at UNH.
      I thought of him myself but doubted he would leave Dartmouth at such short notice but look what just happened to us...also really didn't know how he left UNH so....hmmm could this be the surprise CHC alludes to?
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        Recent developments have peaked my interest New quality recruits coming in and now a new coach. Hope springs eternal. C-H-C has the inside scoop. Love it!

Looking forward to the upcoming football and hockey seasons😅
        Hey there ecat wondered when we'd see ya here!
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I thought of him myself but doubted he would leave Dartmouth at such short notice but look what just happened to us...also really didn't know how he left UNH so....hmmm could this be the surprise CHC alludes to?
          Bringing back Coach Lassonde would be right out of the Coach Umile playbook, don't forget that he brought back Coach McCloskey after the latter left the program for a couple of years at one point. He also "fits" the well-established age/follical criterias.

I'd love to see a UNH coaching staff in 5-10 years time (just trying to be realistic here - Coach Umile isn't going anywhere of his own volition anytime soon) consisting of Foley/Ayers/White. With ambitions being what they are amongst that group, I'd guess it would be tough to keep that together long-term, since the non-head coaches would probably move on eventually.

I'm still sticking with Foley getting the nod, after due diligence and some courtesy interviews (including the likes of Ciocco, White, Ayers and of course yours truly ). If for no other reason than I can't handle the idea of Lassonde being brought back (nothing against him), resulting in 'watcher and/or sonar committing ritual hari-kari in the aftermath.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I'd love to see a UNH coaching staff in 5-10 years time (just trying to be realistic here - Coach Umile isn't going anywhere of his own volition anytime soon)
            Dick Umile is going to be 66 years old this season. Do you truly expect him to hang around until he's in his mid-70's? Holy f@#%ing s***! No wonder you UNH people are always so depressed.

What exactly has the man done to earn lifetime employment?
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              What exactly has the man done to earn lifetime employment?
              Duh, haven't you seen all those RS trophies in the UNH trophy case!?!!!?!!!?!?!?!

Gotta be honest, I like Umile and don't like ragging on him (but sometimes it has to be done). If he could just win the big one soon, this will all go away and we can throw this trash into the bin faster than a fanboy 1949 chant (RIP, sorry mookie). I find it depressing that the big schools all conspired to take two years off and let schmuck programs win it all and UNH couldn't have been one of the two schools to take advantage.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Duh, haven't you seen all those RS trophies in the UNH trophy case!?!!!?!!!?!?!?!

Gotta be honest, I like Umile and don't like ragging on him (but sometimes it has to be done). If he could just win the big one soon, this will all go away and we can throw this trash into the bin faster than a fanboy 1949 chant (RIP, sorry mookie). I find it depressing that the big schools all conspired to take two years off and let schmuck programs win it all and UNH couldn't have been one of the two schools to take advantage.
                Haven't made it up to Lake Whitt yet for some reason....

My problem isn't with Umile personally, but I hate it when ancient coaches seem to think they have the right to fossilize behind the bench to the obvious detriment of the program. Its really arrogant and basically giving the fans a great big F U. If he's merely clueless, that's no better of a defense. Get rid of the freakin' guy already, not 10 years from now when he's pushing 76 but now. Doesn't anybody in the university have the balls to politely tell him this is his last season?

Mind you, I'm not advocating campus police drag him out of the athletic department while simultaneously whaling on him with their night sticks, but a dignified final lap around the arenas of HE if he wants a public sendoff seems in order here.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                  My nickel is on White [so the poor bastard probably doesn't have a chance in hellll]
                  From Mark Divver who writes for the Providence Journal.
                  Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver
                  I'm hearing that Brown associate head coach Mark White is not in the mix at this time for job at UNH, his alma mater.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Hey there ecat wondered when we'd see ya here!
                    Hey Ref! I can't help myself but I tried and managed to stay off for the better part of the summer😤

I'd go with Foley in heartbeat but C-H-C says we'll be surprised so IDK😕
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      From Mark Divver who writes for the Providence Journal.
                      Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver
                      I'm hearing that Brown associate head coach Mark White is not in the mix at this time for job at UNH, his alma mater.
                      The process of elimination begins.
                      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Haven't made it up to Lake Whitt yet for some reason....

My problem isn't with Umile personally, but I hate it when ancient coaches seem to think they have the right to fossilize behind the bench to the obvious detriment of the program. Its really arrogant and basically giving the fans a great big F U. If he's merely clueless, that's no better of a defense. Get rid of the freakin' guy already, not 10 years from now when he's pushing 76 but now. Doesn't anybody in the university have the balls to politely tell him this is his last season?

Mind you, I'm not advocating campus police drag him out of the athletic department while simultaneously whaling on him with their night sticks, but a dignified final lap around the arenas of HE if he wants a public sendoff seems in order here.
                        Never been to the Whit but seem to have the recipe for our success? I am sure President Huddleston will take your words of wisdom under advisement.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Never been to the Whit but seem to have the recipe for our success? I am sure President Huddleston will take your words of wisdom under advisement.
                          Hey keep losing then. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                            I don't disagree with Chuck's comments on Foley's sales pitch, but ... on-ice results at Harvard not impressive with pretty good paper talent. NU trending in right direction, but defense doesn't impress, particularly from a talent perspective. Who recruited them? Big chunk before Foley, probably ...
                            :
                            To be accurate, NONE of our defensemen was recruited before Foley came on the scene. Manson was the last of the Cronin recruits.

This thread has become a great midday diversion. It's more interesting than the often unreasonable "Fire Umile" posts, because when all is said and done, there will be some action taken.

Perhaps the rumored disagreement between Foley and Madigan was over $. Foley may have wanted/needed more for his newly enlared family. He also may have known or believed that he could get more elsewhere. This is strictly conjecture as I really have no special insight.

You folks have had a consistently solid program since Umile came in and turned things around. I enjoy watching them play, even though they usually find a way to beat my Huskies. Your only complaints, as I see them, relate to always being a "bridesmaid" and your ridiculous, confiscatory, bu like, ticket prices. At least at bu, you can drown your sorrows with a beer and a Nathan's hot dog.

You have a nice program. Whoever the ne AC is shouldn't change that very much. See you at Matthews in November. It wont be long, now.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                              To be accurate, NONE of our defensemen was recruited before Foley came on the scene. Manson was the last of the Cronin recruits.

This thread has become a great midday diversion. It's more interesting than the often unreasonable "Fire Umile" posts, because when all is said and done, there will be some action taken.

Perhaps the rumored disagreement between Foley and Madigan was over $. Foley may have wanted/needed more for his newly enlared family. He also may have known or believed that he could get more elsewhere. This is strictly conjecture as I really have no special insight.

You folks have had a consistently solid program since Umile came in and turned things around. I enjoy watching them play, even though they usually find a way to beat my Huskies. Your only complaints, as I see them, relate to always being a "bridesmaid" and your ridiculous, confiscatory, bu like, ticket prices. At least at bu, you can drown your sorrows with a beer and a Nathan's hot dog.

You have a nice program. Whoever the ne AC is shouldn't change that very much. See you at Matthews in November. It wont be long, now.
                              The issue of money is something none of us have considered. However, given UNH's, shall we say, "conservative" view of compensation, I would think that a lateral move would result in a pay decrease from NU to UNH. Of course, the job description is for the Associate Coach, which probably does increase the pay grade.

BTW, UNH has finally gotten the message regarding ticket prices. Season ticket prices have dropped considerably for most of us and I have to assume it will be the same for single game tickets.

Comment

Not to belabor an old issue too much, but for the benefit of any other outsiders who might be perusing this thread ... many of us UNH diehards are of the long-held belief that back in 2000 when Coach Umile was leveraging his contract negotiations with then-UNH athletics director Judy Ray with an opportunity to take the reins at UMass Amherst, Coach Umile extracted a virtual lifetime contract from his alma mater to stay in Durham. Nothing that's happened since then has shaken me of the belief, which I have heard from multiple credible sources over the years. For some contemporary press coverage at the time of the decision, read the opening two paragraphs of the following USCHO archived article:

http://www.uscho.com/2000/03/29/umil...l-stay-at-unh/

Short of the sort of shennanigans that got Coach Parker bounced out at BU from what was likely a similar arrangement, I'm pretty sure Coach Umile will decide when he's done. I share your general assessment of the situation, but if the program is going to be competitive at even its former level, then I can live with that. My complaint - which my fellow posters are probably nauseated by its repetition - is that all of the evidence over the last decade has been one of a gradual yet steady slide down the competitive pecking order. It's now basically a .500 middle-of-the-pack HE program, and although the trip to the HE Finals last Spring was fun and exciting, the program missed the D-1 tourney.

This coming season, I'd be thrilled if they can play .500 with all of the player losses, and despite what many who know better than I seem to feel is the best incoming recruiting class in about a decade. It will take time to get those players acclimated to the level of play in HE. Coach Umile has a great opportunity to prove he still has something left in the tank this season, and while I do think he'll have his work cut out for him, I do hope he proves me wrong. I wouldn't put it past him. And he's not only surpassed all of the accomplishments of his legendary predecessor/mentor Charlie Holt, but avoided the precipitous drop-off of the program at the end of Holt's career (so far anyway). On a bad day, that's what I worry will happen here.

------------------

Today's Useless WIS Trivia: Once upon a time in the pre-Walshy era, former UNH assistant coach Jim Tortorella, his well-known brother John Tortorella, and now-(in?)famous supermarket heir Arthur S. Demoulas were teammates on the '78/'79 UMaine Black Bears, under Coach Jack Semler. That's back when UMaine was competing in ECAC Division 2.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...058851979.html

Yes, this thread can be your destination for one-stop preseason shopping here at USCHO.
                                Last edited by Chuck Murray; 08-22-2014, 01:58 PM.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X