This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    The whole coaching staff has changed at unh hockey since 1999 including Borek who was a head coach at Lake State in at least 2002 area and Tortella wasn't there when I graduated in 04
    Tortorella was Umile's assistant coach for the 93-94 seasons. He's recycled goods.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by JB View Post
      It is not the rink. It is the style. How many goals were scored over the weekend either through a screen, at the top the the crease, or off a tip?

I ask because it seems UNH tries to score no goals in these 3 ways. If they do try to score from the point through a screen it is seemingly never a quick wrist short that is hard to block.

Union scored that beautiful tip goal on a set 3 on 2 play. Fantastic! UNH never seems to have a guy drive the net stick on the ice in a 3-2.

It is a style problem, lack of physical play is a style problem, can't win face-offs is a style problem, game has changed and the coaching hasn't. I am resigned that the coaching must change for the team to move forward, but Umile will leave when he wants... so we will wait...
      You guys have obviously been following this team a lot longer than I have; has the UNH "style" stayed the same throughout the years, and, if so, how do you account for the mega success of the Regionals, making it to the FF...? The game has to have changed as well and the parity in the sport has to have something to do with it...among other things! We know the coach is a constant. I will not go there; not my thing. I'm more interested in understanding the teams we have as opposed to lamenting about what we don't but that is just me... I don't think I would consider UNH a crash and bang kind of team; although I do like the Willows hustle and would love to see more of that...next season. Can't win those big games without it, at least, from what I watched over the weekend...And you can't score a lot of goals by throwing pucks to the net without someone there. Watching Union take apart Minny at the crease was just unreal...I'm sure Wilcox (minny goalie) felt the same..We scored some awesome goals this year; thinking of the ND game in particular.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
        Peter Leblanc played his first career NHL game last night
        Good for Peter; glad that his four years of toil in the AHL has paid off.

Mike Sislo is 0-0-0 and -1 in 14 games in the NHL this season.

Phil DeSimone playing in Sweden now, Stevie Moses in Finland, Paul Thompson in Springfield after three years with WB/Scranton, and Bobby Butler now playing in San Antonio.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          You guys have obviously been following this team a lot longer than I have; has the UNH "style" stayed the same throughout the years, and, if so, how do you account for the mega success of the Regionals, making it to the FF...? The game has to have changed as well and the parity in the sport has to have something to do with it...among other things! We know the coach is a constant. I will not go there; not my thing. I'm more interested in understanding the teams we have as opposed to lamenting about what we don't but that is just me... I don't think I would consider UNH a crash and bang kind of team; although I do like the Willows hustle and would love to see more of that...next season. Can't win those big games without it, at least, from what I watched over the weekend...And you can't score a lot of goals by throwing pucks to the net without someone there. Watching Union take apart Minny at the crease was just unreal...I'm sure Wilcox (minny goalie) felt the same..We scored some awesome goals this year; thinking of the ND game in particular.
          The style is Umile's and has not really changed much over the past 2+ decades. Talent level has dropped way off since 2003. Say what you want, but the players we have had at UNH the past decade would not have been good at crashing the net, although sometimes Paul Thompson was able to use his size to post up next to the crease and pick up a few dirty goals. But, I agree, there is no excuse for dinking around with the puck and not getting a single shot on net during a power play. Simply frustrating.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Good for Peter; glad that his four years of toil in the AHL has paid off.

Mike Sislo is 0-0-0 and -1 in 14 games in the NHL this season.

Phil DeSimone playing in Sweden now, Stevie Moses in Finland, Paul Thompson in Springfield after three years with WB/Scranton, and Bobby Butler now playing in San Antonio.
            Watched Sislo yesterday v the Bruins! Also John Henrion and Austin Block played for teams in Finland this year (like Moses).. It's awesome to follow their pro careers!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

They haven't moved on from a regional to the Frozen Four in 11 years. Would not call that mega success on any level. I'm not knowledgable when it comes to coaching but it seems like a new generation of younger guys have taken over. Like every other sport the game of hockey evolves over time.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                They haven't moved on from a regional to the Frozen Four in 11 years. Would not call that mega success on any level. I'm not knowledgable when it comes to coaching but it seems like a new generation of younger guys have taken over. Like every other sport the game of hockey evolves over time.
                I guess what I meant by 'mega success' is the fact that UNH has been a NCAA contender consistently throughout the years. Many teams cannot say that. I am aware that we have missed the NCAA's twice in the last 3 years. That being said, getting to..and winning a National Championship would be nice~ Can't imagine anyone on this board feels any different! I do appreciate the insights.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  I guess what I meant by 'mega success' is the fact that UNH has been a NCAA contender consistently throughout the years. Many teams cannot say that. I am aware that we have missed the NCAA's twice in the last 3 years. That being said, getting to..and winning a National Championship would be nice~ Can't imagine anyone on this board feels any different! I do appreciate the insights.
                  A different trend in past years when compared to 10 years ago has been that UNH has not quite as underperformed in playoffs ( when they make it in). This year, they lost to Lowell in a HE title game they had no business being in. They smacked Denver around last year in the playoffs, and also beat some good teams in the playoffs a few years back including a #1 seed North Dakota. 10 years ago, this team had a habit of folding like a tent and getting a touchdown scored on them, but now it seems they lose by a couple of goals and put up a respectable game.

But it seems like they are stagnant. the recruits, style, and success have settled out at an above average performance. While the games are enjoyable to watch at times, I don't really expect much in the ways of making it far into the playoffs at this point. Who knows...maybe in another 10 years? haha
                  "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Style wise UNH has not changed much since 1998-99.

Pre 98-99 they were a run and gun team, a blast to watch and got repeatedly killed in the NCAAs. The 97-98 team had two 60+ point Jr. forwards (66&60) and two 50+ point Sr. forwards (59&56) on the same team add in a So. D-man with 31 points and that team scored. They faltered badly down the stretch against trapping clubs where the couldn't run and gun, bounced in the1st round in the Hockey East Playoffs but just made the then 12 team NCAAs. Won 2 games in Albany and were pounded in the first trip to the Frozen Four (in Boston) since 1982, 4-0 by a Michigan club that could play D and score.

The next year 98-99 only one of those forwards returned (Krog) and there was a significant style switch to a defensive oriented team. That switch provided consistency that had been missing. We have not experience the ups and downs of the highly offensive pre 98-99 teams since. The gross numbers don't show it but we don't see many 9-1 or 10-1 games any more. Some of that is the competition getting better some is style some is less talent in Durham. Some of these more defensive UNH teams have been more physical than others.

However in general the style hasn't changed since 98-99. The pure goal scoring talent coming in is another question. UNH's offense relies on the individual talent and creativity of the players on the ice. UNH is known to be not physical, not to win face-offs, not to grind out goals, not to be situationally smart and have become very predictable.

Examples:
                    - No plays like that Union tip goal on a set play of a 3 on 2 break
                    - Generally on a 3 on 2 nobody goes to the net - instead more of an umbrella
                    - D-men either hit the guy in front of them or pass to the other point when there is a screen in front of them.
                    - 3 guys cycling down low so nobody out front for a pass
                    - etc.

All these little things win tough playoff games. I am very happy that the tournament performances have become better. UNH rarely was a scary out, last few times in they have been a much tougher team. Less prone to nervous mental errors. The last piece of the puzzle is learning to manufacture goals, means physical play and going to the "hard" areas on the ice.

Then add some talent again and there is a chance.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Watched Sislo yesterday v the Bruins! Also John Henrion and Austin Block played for teams in Finland this year (like Moses).. It's awesome to follow their pro careers!
                      I think that our alums are better suited for Euro pro hockey than the NHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        I think that our alums are better suited for Euro pro hockey than the NHL.
                        Toughness anyone? Euro pro is not as physical...
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Just my thoughts, it used to be stunning for unh to be knocked out of the ncaa tourney back in the early 2000's now they lose to better teams...talent has dropped off a ton and the coaches around 40 have taken over...Bennett, Bazin, Leaman, yale's coach, pecknold, etc
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

at one point in the last decade, UNH had a dozen players on the roster who were drafted by NHL teams. That # has steadily declined to the current # of 2.

NHL guys are not the be all end all of college success (see Union this year), but it's a good place to start. The best teams UNH has had meshed some of that NHL potential (even if it was rarely realized at the NHL level) with a couple older undrafted guys who were great college players and scorers.

Comment

Up until 2004, the NHL Draft included 9 rounds. Since 2005, there have been 7 rounds. Players drafted in either Round 8 or 9 (*) probably would not have been drafted by an NHL team if there had been only 7 rounds.

Here’s a table showing which UNH players were drafted by an NHL team, the round they were drafted in, and how many NHL games they played in. I’ve looked at the teams from the 1997-98 team (the first UNH team to make the Frozen Four in the Whittemore Center Era) up until the present:

1997-98 – Frozen Four
                              Mike Souza - 3rd Round - 0 NHL games
                              Derek Bekar – 8th Round* – 11 NHL games
                              Eric Lind – 9th Round* – 0 NHL games

1998-99 – Frozen Four
                              Darren Haydar – 9th Round* – 23 NHL games

1999-00 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 1st Round
                              Patrick Foley – 6th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Jim Abbott – 7th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Colin Hemingway – 8th Round* – 3 NHL games

2000-01
                              Nathan Martz – 5th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Michael Ayers – 6th Round – 0 NHL games

2001-02 – Frozen Four
                              Ed Caron – 2nd Round – 0 NHL games
                              Justin Aikens – 6th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Tyler Scott – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games
                              Sean Collins - 9th Round* - 0 NHL games

2002-03 – Frozen Four
                              Jeff Pietrasiak – 6th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Sean Collins - 9th Round* - 0 NHL games

2003-04 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 1st Round
                              Ed Caron – 2nd Round – 0 NHL games
                              John Doherty – 2nd Round – 0 NHL games
                              Dan Travis – 5th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Sean Collins – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games
                              Daniel Winnik – 9th Round* - 490 games
                              Michael Hutchins – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games

2004-05 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 2nd Round
                              John Doherty – 2nd Round – 0 NHL games
                              Dan Travis – 5th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Brett Hemingway – 7th Round – 0 NHL games
                              Sean Collins – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games
                              Craig Switzer – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games
                              Kevin Regan – 9th Round* - 0 NHL games

2005-06 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 1st Round
                              Joe Charlebois – 6th Round – 0 NHL games

2006-07 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 1st Round
                              Brian Foster – 5th Round – 1 NHL game
                              Peter LeBlanc – 7th Round – 1 NHL game

2007-08 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 1st Round
                              James van Riemsdyk – 1st Round – 324 NHL games
                              Phil DeSimone – 3rd Round – 0 NHL games

2008-09 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 2nd Round
                              James van Riemsdyk – 1st Round – 324 NHL games
                              Blake Kessel – 6th Round – 0 games

2009-10 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 2nd Round
                              Blake Kessel – 6th Round - 0 NHL games
                              Greg Burke – 6th Round – 0 NHL games

2010-11 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 2nd Round
                              Eric Knodel – 5th Round – Freshman
                              Blake Kessel – 6th Round - 0 NHL games

2011-12
                              Eric Knodel – 5th Round – Sophomore

2012-13 - NCAA Tourney, Lost 2nd Round
                              Brett Pesce - 3rd Round - Freshman
                              Eric Knodel – 5th Round – Junior

2013-14
                              Brett Pesce - 3rd Round - Sophomore
                              Eric Knodel – 5th Round – Senior

2014-15 Projected
                              Brett Pesce - 3rd Round - Junior
                              Shane Eiserman – NHL CSS Final Rank #45 Among North Americans
                              Warren Foegele - NHL CSS Final Rank #66 Among North Americans
                              Dylan Chanter - NHL CSS Final Rank #164 Among North Americans
                              Last edited by C-H-C; 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                Up until 2004, the NHL Draft included 9 rounds. Since 2005, there have been 7 rounds. Players drafted in either Round 8 or 9 (*) probably would not have been drafted by an NHL team if there had been only 7 rounds.

Here’s a table showing which UNH players were drafted by an NHL team, the round they were drafted in, and how many NHL games they played in. I’ve looked at the teams from the 1997-98 team (the first UNH team to make the Frozen Four in the Whittemore Center Era) up until the present:
                                Fair point about the draft rounds, but it's still a pretty substantial dropoff in terms of the type of players we are recruiting

Comment

Working...
                                X