Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Interesting. Looks like a situation where the university (or the state) has one of those "must post every open role before hiring" deals. So you write up a tailor-made role. I love it. I have to do it often in the private sector as well. Hope it pans out as more than a coinky-dinky.
    Any "cold" applicants should be immediately dismissed for displaying poor judgment, prioritization and time management skills.

The 08-29-2014 closing date indicates the position will be filled for this year's season. Whither the current Associate Head Coaches?
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Interesting that Foley has never been the primary recruiter in any of his other positions, that's always been the other assistant, even if they were comparable ages. Therefore, it is hard to tell from the recruiting at Harvard and Northeastern how effective Foley has been, or his style of players. Big leap, though he has Borek's experience that he can draw upon. Guessing only, Borek doesn't want to, or isn't able to travel as much, and that was not Tortorella's skill set. Just speculating. I hope that everything is all right with those two health wise.

Foley's resignation this late, and the description of "team defense", seems tailored to get Foley the job, as his experience is on Coaching shorthanded defense, and overall team defense.

For the first time in about six years I am excited about the season, not that the team is a juggernaut, but that it has great potential for the next few years.

So.Kelleher Sr.Downing Sr.Willows
      Sr.Thrush Fr.Poteralski Jr.Correale
      Fr.Eiserman Fr.McNicholas Fr.Foegele
      Jr.Gaudreault Jr.Smith Sr.Camper
      So.Bourque Jr.Hill Fr.Salvaggio

Jr. Pesce So.Cleland
      So.Maller Fr.Marks
      Fr.Chanter Fr.Fugele
      Fr.Boyd Jr.Quast
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

I look at this apparent hiring of Foley as inevitable. He has always been Umile's fair haired boy. Named assistant captain as a sophomore and one of the few two year captains I can remember (James Richmond in the 80's comes to mind). After stints at Harvard (where the teams were not so good despite having, on paper, high end talent) and Northeastern (where he apparently got into some sort of dispute with the head coach), Foley will now land on his feet with his dream job at UNH. If what CHC says is true, he will become the lead recruiter although he was not at either Harvard (Albie O'Connell) or NU (Jerry Keefe). I will reiterate that he is fave of Umile (and Scarano) and, as a result, I expect that some day he will be the head coach.

Comment

And, he pulled a 4.0 for his entire UNH career, right?

Comment

I usually see Foley at a game or two every year at the Whitt, sitting up next to the press box in Section 103, one row behind me. I'm not talking about NU games either I do know that UNH had to post the opening for Colin Shank's position last year, per UNH/state policy. He never planned to leave - it was just a formality that the opening had to be posted when his contract ran out and was being renewed. Just postulating that could be the case here with the current Associate Head Coach posting.
            THINK PINK
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
              I usually see Foley at a game or two every year at the Whitt, sitting up next to the press box in Section 103, one row behind me. I'm not talking about NU games either I do know that UNH had to post the opening for Colin Shank's position last year, per UNH/state policy. He never planned to leave - it was just a formality that the opening had to be posted when his contract ran out and was being renewed. Just postulating that could be the case here with the current Associate Head Coach posting.
              This makes the most sense.

Comment

Perhaps they are reorganizing? Or, it wouldn't be the first recent typographical/content error from the U, as much as it pains me to write that. Or, maybe they forgot to post the job in June. (Ouch.)

Did coach T. start later than June because Lassonde resigned unexpectedly? I found an article dated 08/17/2011 announcing Denver hiring Lassonde.

The thing that doesn't sit right with the Foley theory is that Coach Umile does things the right way, with class like a gentleman. I'd like to think he would not poach a coach this late in the summer or put himself in a position where that might become speculation if Foley leaving NU had nothing to do with UNH.

Comment

UNH announces Tortorella moving on.
                  Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Braden View Post
                      Tort's a class act. He coached my son in summer leagues in Augusta for a stint way back when he was on skates. Glad to see him moving on to something other than hockey. Nothing but the best wishes for him. Glad to see him working in Portland.
                      Last edited by all bear; 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM.
                      sure why not

Comment

Oh great and all-knowing hokey, we beseech thee, what does the future hold?
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Best of luck to Coach T.
                          UNH

Comment

Same sentiment...thank you Coach Tortorella!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              What happened to Coach Tortorella?
                              Non-hockey job opportunity in Portland ME overseeing a substance abuse clinic, I believe.

If they don't hire Pat Foley this time around, they never will ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                The thing that doesn't sit right with the Foley theory is that Coach Umile does things the right way, with class like a gentleman. I'd like to think he would not poach a coach this late in the summer or put himself in a position where that might become speculation if Foley leaving NU had nothing to do with UNH.
                                The near simultaneous time lines would be merely coincidental if Foley is hired at UNH. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X