Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Looks like Jujhar Khaira is getting some good press and is headed for the AHL this season. Mentions his progress at Tech. Also, check out the sick goal.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/07/0...ess-impressive
    http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/12/oil...training-camp/

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      There was an early season rate of $125 then it went up to $150. This included access to all WCHA games live and on demand at a later date. Not sure when the on demand stopped but it is not accessible any more. I believe I had access in to May still. Also had a PIP option. Only tried two games at once but I think you could have more?

The feed from JMSIA was fantastic; TV quality in my opinion. Some of the other venues weren't as good but all were better than previous years. Well worth the $150 for even just the home games. Made it real easy to stay at home and not venture out in the cold & snow.

I have been logging in to America One over the last month or so and getting the same response. Not sure what the plans are for this year. Tried the link from the WCHA website with the same results. Hope they offer a similar package.

Forgot about the PiP. That was awesome. You can definitely have more than 2 going.

Stay at home? I'd love be in the Keweenaw going to the games... Cold and snow be ****ed!
      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        Stay at home? I'd love be in the Keweenaw going to the games... Cold and snow be ****ed!
        Yeah. Someone isn't doing it right. In fact, it ****es me off that someone is that close and "doesn't want to be bothered to go outside". Thats just simple laziness.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

No surprise, Fillion is transferring.

Fillion flirts with two-sport status
          http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/s...atus-1.1319073

After two seasons patrolling the blueline for the Michigan Tech Huskies and one red-shirt season while he recovered from back surgery, the 24-year-old Fillion has transferred to Marian University in Fond du Lac, Wisc., where he plans to play hockey for the Sabres this fall/winter season, then switch to baseball in the spring.
          "It was just time for a change for me from Tech," said Fillion. "After going through an injury like I did, it was a rough time and I just needed a change."

Comment

I hope that UAH has 1) bought a second camera and 2) found a real broadcast crew. I found AmericaONE to really be worth the money paid for it. I even watched a few Tech games where UAH wasn't involved.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Back in April an MTU press release said that there was a TBD exhibition game with a Canadian team and an intrasquad game in the works to fill the 2 weekends of the schedule right after the opening games at Lake Superior State. Has anyone heard anything about what team that might be and when? Or if it is still in the works at all?

Comment

There was really no room for Fillion if he wanted playing time. With Birks, Roy, and Auk all coming in with sizable expectations, and only two spots to realistically compete for (assuming full health), there was just too much depth at defense for him to hope to see much ice. If he hadn't been injured, it might be a different story. I remember he came in after sitting out the first half of his freshman year and showed promise.

Spent some time at the rink before departing Houghton this morning. No major changes that I could see this year, probably saving money for Mel's extension.

Comment

I'm curious about recruit Trevor Cope. It looks like he's 20 now, put up a point/game last year in the OJHL after being traded from the BCHL. Could he have been the odd man out with Blake and David not leaving early, so no need to bring him in yet?

It looks like he was drafted by the Soo Eagles of the NAHL in the latest draft and attended their camp this month. Anyone know if that's where he'll play this year and be a 21 year old freshmen next year? For people with more hockey knowledge than me, how do the OJHL and NAHL compare?

Comment

Here's the Mining Gazette's article on incoming freshman Mark Auk.

Auk a blast from the past
                    HOUGHTON - Ever been at the rink and thought, "I swear I've heard that name before?

In the case of Mark Auk, your mind is not playing tricks - you might just have.

Auk's getting ready to start his first season as a Michigan Tech Husky hockey player, but in March 2012, Auk was the leading scorer on the Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett team that defeated Houghton in the Division 3 state championship game at Compuware Arena in Plymouth.

Liggett came away with the state title, but Auk, a 6-foot defenseman from St. Clair Shores, got something even better out of that game - the attention of a school he was interested in playing hockey for.

"When we played Houghton, I thought this was like perfect, kind of like a gateway," he said.

Liggett was putting together a great season and Auk was hoping to parlay it into a move to the next level.

Auk had a playmaker in the semifinal win against Chelsea, and though he didn't have a point in the 3-0 win, he believes a good word was put in for him at MacInnes Student Ice Arena.

"We had an unbelievable game, a lot of fun. It was awesome to put our school up at the top and get a state championship," he said.

There have been quite a few stops between Plymouth and college hockey. The next one was with the Port Huron Fighting Falcons of the North American Hockey League. While there, he had a good season-opening Showcase, which led to a commitment soon after.

He latched on with the United State Hockey League Cedar Rapids (Iowa) RoughRiders later in the season, and found his stride in the 2013-14 campaign, posting 10 goals and 19 assists in 59 games.

"I had good confidence last year, I thought, where just every game, things would start to click. Maybe I'd get a pass, or a shot on net and things would start to go in," he said.

Cedar Rapids, which includes fellow Tech recruit Dylan Steman, had an excellent season, finishing second in the USHL's Eastern Conference with 35 wins in 60 games. Auk called it his most fun hockey experience.

"The atmosphere was just unbelievable. I've never seen anything like it," Auk said.

And now, Michigan Tech. When he made his visit, it wasn't lost on him that the Huskies were looking for more than just on-ice abilities.

"I noticed that they were looking for not just hockey players, but the way we carried ourselves and what kind of people we are," he said.

At this point, he's undecided on a major as he gets settled in academically after a few years away from the books on the junior circuit.

He said improving north-south speed and tightening up his defensive game have been work areas for the offseason.

"I just want to improve every day, make a couple jumps from my play and provide for the team a little bit offensively from the blue line," he said.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                      I'm curious about recruit Trevor Cope. It looks like he's 20 now, put up a point/game last year in the OJHL after being traded from the BCHL. Could he have been the odd man out with Blake and David not leaving early, so no need to bring him in yet?

It looks like he was drafted by the Soo Eagles of the NAHL in the latest draft and attended their camp this month. Anyone know if that's where he'll play this year and be a 21 year old freshmen next year? For people with more hockey knowledge than me, how do the OJHL and NAHL compare?
                      I would have expected Cope to come to Tech this year, but we've had a surge in new recruit talent and the competition has been pretty stiff. Cope would probably have been coming to college this season if he had committed to most other WCHA programs. Normally, a guy like Cope would be looking to move back to the BC or to the USHL after a strong OJ season, but these leagues have quotas for how many older players they can roster. Could be that the NAHL was the best league he good get a slot in due to his age. If he plays at the Soo, Mel & Co. can more easily monitor his progress.

Comment

Madison Husky - perfect chance for you to ask your Canadian school exhibition game question. There will be a Mel Pearson show on Monday. I think it's dj@themix93.com to email Dirk.

Special Edition of Mel Pearson Show Set for Monday

HOUGHTON, Mich. — A special edition of the Mel Pearson Show will air live on Monday (Aug. 25) from 10-11 a.m. on WKMJ Mix 93.5 FM (also available on pasty.net).

Mel Pearson, who is entering his fourth season as the head coach for Michigan Tech hockey, will give an update on his team's progress and the upcoming season. The Mel Pearson Show is hosted by Michigan Tech hockey broadcaster Dirk Hembroff and also allows fans a chance to call in or email with questions.

The show will air live every Monday during the hockey season.

Comment

Arrgh, this stream from WKMJ is wonky at best. This had better not be a sign of things to come this season.
                          Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I didn't catch the show. Any nuggets of interest discussed during the show?
                            Ryan J
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              I didn't catch the show. Any nuggets of interest discussed during the show?
                              Ryan J
                              Link to 'The Mel Pearson Show' (including today's show) from the Tech website.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/m...l_Pearson_Show

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                So since I now have a TV that knows what the Inter-web is, and because I live no where near any WCHA rinks, I'm thinking of picking up the online feed via America One for this season. I tried visiting their site, but there was no info about pricing, what was included and the site was showing as not secure so who knows what is going on.

Did anyone on here buy the service last year? How was the quality? (Especially from the JMSIA since that will be more than half the games I plan to watch.) The demo quality seemed to be very good, but I'm sure that is the best case scenario. I could live with a so-so quality for the road games as that won't be the bulk of the games. What was the price last year for a full season package? I think I remember reading somewhere that the playoffs were not included in the full season package last year. Is that correct?

Ryan J
                                The AmericaOne site has the WCHA packages up. $45 for a 30 day pass and $150 for a season pass. Looks like it expires at the end of the regular season. I thought the playoffs were included last year but I could be wrong.

If you are a previous subscriber you may want to wait to see if they come out with a lower rate like they did at the start of the season last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X