Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    ...and only offer need based $ for school.
    Tech should offer need based scholarships, too…need a goalie, need a forward, need a defenseman…
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
    Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Yes, it looks bad to see some of those names and know that they have made the tourney when Tech has not. However I doubt that list is nearly as long if they had to come out of the pre-2013 WCHA to make the tourney. Most of these teams made the tourney by winning their conference tourney, not with a top 16 national ranking. There are several Tech teams since 1981 that I am confident could have won a conference tourney in the ECAC or AH over the years. ECAC seems to be on an up-swing now, but there is a reason they got tagged as the EZAC after so many years of being a bottom rung conference.

Ryan J
      woulda, coulda, shoulda. those are just more excuses. Yale and Union have won the last 2 titles. I'm expecting a tourney bid next year.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
        woulda, coulda, shoulda. those are just more excuses.
        By your logic programs like Wayne State, Canisius, Robert Morris, RIT, Alabama, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Princeton, Niagara, Brown, RPI, etc, etc are better programs because they made the tourney field since 1981?

If MTU had played in the ECAC, CHA or AH the last 30 years, I promise you there would be more than one NCAA tourney appearance. I would much rather play in a tough conference and earn it, than take a cupcake schedule and an autobid to the tourney. Sure Holy Cross made the tourney and beat MN once. Wow. That's the highlight of their program's existence. MTU was playing them and plenty of other good teams 2-4 times every season , year in and year out.

Did I like finishing 8-12th every season? No. But if we took on the best and could only muster a .333 win percentage, I'll take that over beating a bunch of cupcake programs 18 times to get most of your 20 win season. That's part of the reason the WCHA break up really chaps me. Now when Tech does get success, people can just say it's because the "top" programs pulled out.

Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

CHA and AHA I'll give you, but then we also wouldn't have recruited some of the players that we did. You are underrating the ECAC, even the ECAC of 10-15 years ago. You can't seriously sit there and tell me that those sad-sack Tech teams that won 6-10 games a year for most of the Watters, Sertich, and Russell years, would've finished in the top 3-4 spots in the ECAC. At least two or three of those squads would've struggled to beat AIC and UAH. Hell, one of those squads went 16-19-4, and actually DID struggle to sweep AIC; at home.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            By your logic programs like Wayne State, Canisius, Robert Morris, RIT, Alabama, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Princeton, Niagara, Brown, RPI, etc, etc are better programs because they made the tourney field since 1981?

If MTU had played in the ECAC, CHA or AH the last 30 years, I promise you there would be more than one NCAA tourney appearance. I would much rather play in a tough conference and earn it, than take a cupcake schedule and an autobid to the tourney. Sure Holy Cross made the tourney and beat MN once. Wow. That's the highlight of their program's existence. MTU was playing them and plenty of other good teams 2-4 times every season , year in and year out.

Did I like finishing 8-12th every season? No. But if we took on the best and could only muster a .333 win percentage, I'll take that over beating a bunch of cupcake programs 18 times to get most of your 20 win season. That's part of the reason the WCHA break up really chaps me. Now when Tech does get success, people can just say it's because the "top" programs pulled out.

Ryan J
            There's more parity in college hockey now than ever. I don't care what league you play in. I happen to think the new WCHA is a good league. Get to the tourney and anything can happen. RPI has made the tourney 5 times since 1981, most recently in 2011. RIT made a run to the Frozen 4 back in 2010. Quinnipiac has made the tourney back to back years including the Frozen 4 last year. What about Vermont? Northern has made the tourney 6 times since 81. How about UMass Lowell? Ferris State and Mankato. And now Yale and Union winning the last 2. the list goes on and on. I agree with F2B, some of those teams from the Watters, Sertich, and Russell era were not sniffing a tourney bid playing in another league. Just my opinion.
            Last edited by eye4talent; 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM.
            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

With all this talk about potential realignment again in the near future, I started wondering if we were in the same boat in the early 80s. Does anyone know the history of why we switched the CCHA and then switched back to the WCHA?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                With all this talk about potential realignment again in the near future, I started wondering if we were in the same boat in the early 80s. Does anyone know the history of why we switched the CCHA and then switched back to the WCHA?
                I always thought it was because Michigan and Michigan State, perennial bottomfeeders at the time, left the WCHA for the easier schedule and lighter travel of the CCHA. Tech felt it "belonged" more in a league with other Michigan schools, so we left for three years, then brought Northern back with us in 1984 when we realized it was a mistake.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  I always thought it was because Michigan and Michigan State, perennial bottomfeeders at the time, left the WCHA for the easier schedule and lighter travel of the CCHA. Tech felt it "belonged" more in a league with other Michigan schools, so we left for three years, then brought Northern back with us in 1984 when we realized it was a mistake.
                  That's pretty accurate.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Thanks F2B&G, it seems like there are some similarities from back then to now.

Just because it's the offseason here are few notes from surfing the internet on recruits. This isn't really all encompassing, just stuff I saw today.

It looks like Joe Schuldt is still playing in the NAHL playoffs for the Christ Tok and the Austin Bruins.

Dylan Steman and Mark Auk are still playing in the USHL playoffs. Steman had two goals in the last game, both assisted by Mark Auk.

Mason Blacklock and Demico Hannoun are stilling playing in the BCHL playoffs but they're down 3-0.

From the Stillwater Gazette - http://stillwatergazette.com/2014/04...-sports-teams/
                    Checking out the SAHS boys’ hockey coaches, we find that first-year head man Matt Doman was a two-time captain for the Wisconsin Badgers. Jay Cates was a captain and leading scorer for the Golden Gophers of Minnesota and Pete Hamilton was a goalie for the Michigan Tech Huskies. Cates and Hamilton are former Ponies standouts. Defenseman Mitch Reinke has signed on to play for Michigan Tech University
                    From a Penguins Blog - http://www.pensburgh.com/2014/3/31/5...-april-edition
                    Dane Birks and the Merritt Centennials were swept by the Penticton Vees in the 1st round of the BCHL playoffs. Birks played just 1 game and had no Points. He will be moving on to the NCAA to play for Michigan Tech as a Freshman next year.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Don't forget Notre Dame with coach Lefty Smith. They left the WCHA after the 80-81 season for the CCHA. At the time, I found it ironic that these big football schools were whining about travel costs yet little old Tech somehow managed it. It made sense on paper for Tech to join them but it killed our recruiting and after floundering for a few years, we came back to the WCHA and as FTB&G said, brought Northern with us.

All is well with the world now that all three UP schools are together in the same conference. It's too bad the rebel child, Western, didn't join us...
                      "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                      Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                        Don't forget Notre Dame with coach Lefty Smith. They left the WCHA after the 80-81 season for the CCHA. At the time, I found it ironic that these big football schools were whining about travel costs yet little old Tech somehow managed it. It made sense on paper for Tech to join them but it killed our recruiting and after floundering for a few years, we came back to the WCHA and as FTB&G said, brought Northern with us.
                        Frankly, I think an ailing MacInnes/his death left Narhgang in a recruiting situation worse than the CCHA move did.

Comment

Great explanation of what was going on in the early 80s in the WCHA realignment thread, regarding MTUs switch between the WCHA/CCHA.

According to the LSSU thread, Damon Whitten is on campus today.

The LSSU Department of Athletics is in the process of interviewing head hockey coach candidates and two of them will be on campus this week.

LSSU faculty and staff are invited to meet candidate Damon Whitten between 9:30-10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 16, and Ron Fogarty between 9:30-10:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 17, in the Taffy Abel Arena's BlueLiner Room.

This introductory meeting is open only to LSSU faculty and staff.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            Great explanation of what was going on in the early 80s in the WCHA realignment thread, regarding MTUs switch between the WCHA/CCHA.

According to the LSSU thread, Damon Whitten is on campus today.
                            Yup. Saw it on Twitter as well from the Lake State Hockey account.

"Head Coach candidates on campus this week for interviews. Damon Whitten today and Ron Fogarty tomorrow"

Hopefully it's handled a bit more professionally than the Anchorage job...
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Shirtless, any updates on who possibly might be signing now that the spring signing period is open?

—Brett Hull

Comment

Mark Auk, Joel L'Esperance, Dylan Steman, Jake Jackson (2012)
                                Joe Schuldt, Dane Birks, Evan Anderson, Mason Blacklock, Matt Roy, Brett Boeing and Demico Hannoun (2013)
                                Have already signed. The only player I have penciled in for 2014-15 that hasn't signed is Devin Kero.
                                I don't think anyone else will sign until the early signing period next fall unless there is a new player.
                                Tristan Rostagno, Travis Brown, Jake Kauppila, Trevor Cope and Angus Redmond are the next likely signings in Fall.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X