Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Shirtless, have you confirmed Birks, he was not listed on the hidden Tech website 2014-15 roster a few weeks back?
    I am 99% sure that Birks will be a Husky this fall.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I was thinking that the line up will change depending on if we are going to have to grind it out or if it's an up and down game.

And what of Jimmy Davis. He's been improving.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Davis has handled his situation pretty well for a guy who seemingly played every minute in high school. He got overwhelmed by the college game as a true freshman with no juniors experience, and now the unfortunate part for him is that despite showing improvement over the last three years, Mel's first recruit is nevertheless probably the 10th or 11th best defenseman on the roster due to all of the other players the staff has added who have more pure talent. Let's bear in mind that he did only play in one game last season. So, it's likely that Davis will be lucky to get any sort of ice time at all this year, however like I said, it seems he's worked hard every day to be ready when he does get the call.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Davis has handled his situation pretty well for a guy who seemingly played every minute in high school. He got overwhelmed by the college game as a true freshman with no juniors experience, and now the unfortunate part for him is that despite showing improvement over the last three years, Mel's first recruit is nevertheless probably the 10th or 11th best defenseman on the roster due to all of the other players the staff has added who have more pure talent. Let's bear in mind that he did only play in one game last season. So, it's likely that Davis will be lucky to get any sort of ice time at all this year, however like I said, it seems he's worked hard every day to be ready when he does get the call.
          Depending on how things shake out he could end up being top 6 but I think his ceiling is more likely the 8th spot.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Johnstone, Kero, Pietila, and Petan are the offensive leaders.
            Sturos played so well with Johnstone and Pietila that they should form 1 of the top 2 lines.
            Then, E. Anderson, Gillies, Heinonen, L' Esperance or Blacklock could win the final job in the top 6.
            Then Gillies, L'Esperance, E. Anderson or Blacklock form a talented 3 rd line.
            Then, Eick, Neville, Gould or Vallis could form a very tough 4th line which can score and shut down the other side.
            Where this leaves Hietila, Baltus, P. Anderson as they will fall on the depth chart.
            Where does Steman fit 3rd or 4th line?

Same battle for ice on defense.
            Hanna, Sweeney, Watson, and Leibinger will play all the games.
            Birks and Roy should round out the starters.
            Hyland and Auk will rotate in.
            Where this leaves Davis, Fillion, and Schuldt

Will there be any cuts as it seems a lot of players to manage as the talent uptake is realized.

Comment

got season tickets, bought some new gear, sat and watch a little of pick up hockey. I'm am screaming crazy for hockey season. I'm thinking this may be the best team we have fielded (iced?) since I've been paying attention (Mancini and Watters years).
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Recent Mining Gazette links for those that missed them. The full articles are available on their App.

Good article/quotes on Kero and his low times in the NAHL and how things fell in place for him to get a spot in the BCHL last year.

Better chance in BC
                http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Hockey Huskies hire Shawhan
                http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Recent Mining Gazette links for those that missed them. The full articles are available on their App.
                  Googling the articles and then opening the cached versions also circumvents the paywall.

Comment

So we have a full coaching staff, a whole bunch of players and a list of 36 regular season games approaching quickly. How do we think this group stands when the season is over. Here is my prediction - the team posts a 20+ win season (first since 1987) and finally gets home ice for the WCHA playoffs (first time since 1993). They'll have to get a lot of points early as only see them going 0.500 at best over the final three weeks with a tough schedule.
                    Along the way they win Winter Carnival over BSU on total goals, take two of three from Michigan (when was the last time we played Michigan three times in a single season?), but lose to Ferris in the GLI championship game. In the post season, Tech rides the energy of a 4000+ crowd for all three home playoff games and gets a 2-1 series win before heading to the WCHA playoffs and falling in the championship game to Mankato. I don't think this will be a "win it all" season, but I would be very surprised if we don't take yet another big step forward.

Overall record 21-15-4
                    WCHA top 4
                    Home Ice Playoffs
                    GLI championship game, 2nd place
                    Conference tourney championship game, 2nd place
                    Winter Carnival champs
                    Ranked in the top 20 nationally

Now I'll just have to remember where I put this in 9 months...

Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I think they will beat Ferris at a neutral site but beating Michigan twice I question.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

In my opinion, Michigan Tech is a team rising towards 0.500 where as Michigan is a team dropping towards 0.500. With two games on home ice and one on "neutral" ice, I like Tech's chances to take two out of three.
                        Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

For those that missed a special edition of the Mel Pearson show last week. long interview with new AC Joey Shawhan.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/multi...l_Pearson_Show
                          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Great to hear Mel so upbeat and positive about the team.
                            Hope to win one of the two WCHA titles this year, reg season or playoff championship.
                            With the quality seniors departing after this season, go for it this year.

Comment

If they can stay healthy and get strong goaltending right from the get-go, I'll say 20 regular season wins. Their 18 home games are Michigan, UAA, Mankato, UMD, NMU, BGSU, UAF, UAH, and BSU. I'll take a shot in the dark and say that Tech goes 11-5-2 at home (which I think is attainable with that long, 9-game homestand in the second half that gives them plenty of opportunity for momentum). Say they manage 9-8-1 in their 18 road/"neutral" games, and you're looking at 20-13-3 on the regular season, and probably a strong 3rd place league finish, with a shot at 2nd place. I'd say that's about right for the current team's ceiling.

That said, those two ifs are big ifs. In the time I have followed the team, Teslak is the closest we've come to a goalie who gave off the vibe of being a game-stealer, and we can talk about man games lost to injury until we're black and blue in the face. However, the worst I can see us doing is probably another 5th place finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                If they can stay healthy and get strong goaltending right from the get-go, I'll say 20 regular season wins....and probably a strong 3rd place league finish, with a shot at 2nd place. I'd say that's about right for the current team's ceiling.
                                You could very likely say the same things for BG, UAF, UAA, NMU and Ferris as well.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X