X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    no news on the new assistant coach.
    Mel indicated end of June...patience is a virtue. You can start panicking when it's the evening of June 30th and there hasn't been an announcement.

Comment

So, should be some news out of the Tech team this week ???

If all the centers show up on campus, would L'Esperance play right wing in order to flood the lineup with the likes of Hannoun, Gillies, Blacklock, and E. Anderson.

I think Heinonen and Gould will be fighting for time that they will get along with Mike Neville who should continue to improve and demand playing time despite all the talent coming in.

Cannot wait to see that first lineup chart, looking to be in the Soo for the first weekend of the season if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        So, should be some news out of the Tech team this week ???
        You would think so. After a quiet few weeks maybe we'll have a new coach to talk about or we'll have a player or two drafted by the end of the week.

I'm surprised there's been no rumors at all. In past weeks there had been tweets about some of the open head coaching spots or assistant spots in college hockey before they were filled, no Michigan Tech stuff though.
        Last edited by mtu_huskies; 06-24-2014, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Based on Mel's comments, I suspect most of the top candidates already have significant jobs (coach at another school, USHL head, or AHL/NHL job), and have asked to be considered in confidence. Therefore, everyone in the athletic department and the administrative offices is on a 'need-to-know' basis, and our usual rumor wells have dried up.

Comment

my usual "inside" contacts say they are being very very quiet about the choice. maybe that means someone really really good??
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Based on Mel's comments, I suspect most of the top candidates already have significant jobs (coach at another school, USHL head, or AHL/NHL job), and have asked to be considered in confidence. Therefore, everyone in the athletic department and the administrative offices is on a 'need-to-know' basis, and our usual rumor wells have dried up.
              I spoke with Mel at Lincoln's (USHL) camp in Minnesota a few weeks ago. He was there scouting Rostagno and i'm sure a few others. I didn't ask about the AC position. Discussed the gentlemen's agreement regarding verbals. He seemed really pleased with the job Shelast is doing in the offseason with the players strength and conditioning and likes where they're at physically.
              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Looks like the ice is back in for the summer hockey camps:

https://twitter.com/mtuhky/status/481465764239933440

Comment

interesting study. i'll be tuned into the draft somewhat this weekend.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles...-draft-success
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

maybe having nice things isn't all its cracked up to be. see : New Jersey Devils
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      maybe having nice things isn't all its cracked up to be. see : New Jersey Devils
                      There's a difference between having nice things, and blatantly cheating to try and buy nice things.

Comment

Is Davis Payne AC with the LA Kings going to bring the Stanley Cup up to Houghton?

Following the footsteps of Tony Espisito, Bob Lomier, and Randy McKay.
                        Last edited by Pink Pony; 06-26-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          There's a difference between having nice things, and blatantly cheating to try and buy nice things.
                          or cheating and trying to steal nice things.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Good write up on incoming freshman Alex Gillies. We'll see if he gets drafted tomorrow.
                            http://thehockeywriters.com/alex-gil...spect-profile/

Alex Gillies THW Close-Up:

Date of birth: 1/18/1996

Place of birth: Vernon, British Columbia, Canada

Ht: 6’0″ Wt: 190 lbs

Shoots: Left

Position: LW

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014

THW The Next Ones Rankings (January 2014): not ranked

Mike Cammalleri (Jerome Miron-US PRESSWIRE)
                            Alex Gillies plays similar to Mike Cammalleri (Jerome Miron-US PRESSWIRE)

Other Rankings:

THW War Room Rankings (April): not ranked

Future Considerations: not ranked

Craig Button: not ranked

CS Final Rankings for North American skaters: not ranked

You’ll find a handful of players drafted out of the BCHL each year. Alex Gillies hopes to be one of those players.

Gillies has steadily grown as a player over the past three seasons with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. He has great goal scoring ability, terrific shot, quick release, and crashes the net hard. A strong skater with powerful strides, Gillies likes using his speed to break to the net. He’s eager to have the puck on his stick, allowing him to get defenders out of position to set up plays.

This season he took on more defensive duties and built a solid foundation for his two-way play. He’s a versatile winger that can play on the powerplay or penalty kill. Doesn’t cheat up on the play as most wingers do and puts himself in good positions to transition his game from defense to offense and vice versa.

Still very raw, Gillies will be attending Michigan Tech next year. If a team chooses to use a pick on him in the late rounds, it’d be best to let him play all four years in the NCAA before calling him up.

Where Will He End Up In June:

I don’t think he’ll be drafted, but some team may use a 7th rounder on him.

Scout’s Honor:

“Gillies is as close to an all-round player as you’re going to find in the BCHL, and he has all the attributes of becoming a solid Pro player in the coming years. He has an excellent shot, which is very accurate and makes him dangerous anywhere in the offensive zone. And, as much as he is a pure goal-scorer, he can distribute the puck effectively also, very similar to a bigger Mike Cammalleri in this regard. Like all good offensive-minded players, Gillies is deceptive, and finds ways to create room for himself and get into the scoring lanes. He has excellent lower body strength which allows him to fend off the opposition and have quick skating bursts to effectively play the transition game. He can be utilized in any role whether on the PP or PK, and isn’t afraid to play in the high-traffic areas and engage physically. Why I have no doubt he is headed for big things in hockey is because of his compete level on and off the ice. I’ve witnessed his progression from a 13-year-old til’ now and he works incredibly hard at everything he does. He has that special Sidney Crosby quality where failure is not an option, is a true student of the game, and wants to sharpen every tool in order to succeed. He just get’s it when it comes to the training and way you have to conduct yourself in order to take that next step. When it comes to weaknesses there are few in his arsenal. It just will come down to getting used to going against bigger, faster, mature players for Gillies, which I don’t see being an issue.“

Dan Sallows – Indiana Ice scout

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Michigan Tech had a couple guys drafted late this year...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

In other news Twitter reporting that Former Michigan Tech coach Jamie Russell named head coach of the ECHL's Elmira Jackals
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X