Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 NCAA Quarterfinal Boston University @ Minnesota

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    the statistics do not back you on this, Menefee (1/3 the even strength goals) is one of the strongest defensive players on the team, as is Lorence (1/2)
    If you mean she is on the ice for 1/2 the even strength goals allowed, does that not suggest she may be weaker than average for the team....assuming she is on the ice less than 1/2 the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      I've mentioned this before but I think it is definitely worth repeating.

Dan Haman's skill as a play by play guy adds value to a game that is absolutely off the charts. He is 100% emotionally involved in the game which automatically and unconsciously gets a viewer/listener totally engaged. He is definitely one of the absolute best that I have ever heard.

Another superlative job.
      I agree, he did a great job. A very pleasant change from many college announcers, who generally have no idea about the game of hockey at all and how it should be played, and also quite a few who are so blatantly biased in favour of their own team and disparaging of the opponent.

Comment

That game was closer than the final score without, in my mind, ever really being in doubt. BU gave it everything but by the end of the second period they were looking pretty tired.

UM was lucky to get out of that period without a different score.
        Not half as lucky as BU was.

Comment

For those there that watched and that might also have been at the national title game last year - based on what I've been reading, this game sounds like it was closer. Was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
            and also quite a few who are so blatantly biased in favour of their own team and disparaging of the opponent.
            I was listening to an MSU game a few years ago and the play by play guy, who struck me as being a student or not much older (wasn't too bad on the play by play) actually started bad mouthing the MSU players. I don't mean just one collective comment...he had something seriously negative to say about many players and chalked them up one at a time as they came into the play that he was covering.

I thought I had heard it all (and this is no exaggeration) until he actually started with sexually degrading comments, as in his opinion, as diplomatic as he attempted to be at times, about certain players' sexual preferences/orientation!!!!!

I couldn't believe that someone didn't yank him out of his chair.

I often wondered if he was ever held accountable for such a disgusting and immature show of behaviour. It sure didn't make MSU, the institution, look good.

Comment

Congratulations to BU for making it a game for the first two periods. UM was lucky to get out of that period without a different score.

But now it's a 5-1 blowout...that soft goal by Terry I think deflated BU.
              Through the D's legs and then the goaler's 5. Complete screen, not that soft.

BU did have two excellent opportunites to tie the score towards the end of the second.
              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                For those there that watched and that might also have been at the national title game last year - based on what I've been reading, this game sounds like it was closer. Was it?
                Hey S! Just got back from the game. I wasn't at the championship game last year, so I can't speak to that. But for the first 2 periods, it was amazingly close. This doesn't mean you couldn't tell who was better -- you definitely could. Minnesota is amazing to watch. There were plenty of stretches where we were holding on for dear life. But once it was 2nd intermission and it was only 2-1 -- and BU had several grade-A chances in the 2nd -- it wasn't crazy to hope for an amazing finish as well. Not to be! Oh well.

Here's what I said in the Lodge:

Holy cow those are two fast teams, and Minnesota is unbelievably fast. And solid. And fast.
                1-1 after 1, and they were flying the whole time.
                2-1 Minnesota after 2, with BU having two beautiful fat rebounds go right off the post.
                Then in the 3rd, when mere mortals start being tired, Minnesota was as fast as the beginning of the game. Three fast ones in the 3rd for a 5-1 win.

Additionally, somebody earlier said the BU band was the best band in college hockey, and they weren't kidding. They were awesome. I remember plenty of good times from when I was there, but to hear them again was pretty cool. A friend of mine who I saw in the crowd came up and said, "Is BU a great hockey school or a great music school?!?" That was nice.

MAN, I'm exhausted from just being in the arena. Kudos to Minnesota, they play an amazing game. Fast, solid, in control the whole time, and confident. They clearly are smart and know how to put it a lot of practice time.
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                  Through the D's legs and then the goaler's 5. Complete screen, not that soft.

BU did have two excellent opportunites to tie the score towards the end of the second.
                  Thanks, the video wasn't the greatest and the lighting was poor for that game so it was difficult to see. And, yeah, some of those open net BU opportunities were what I was referring to earlier.

Comment

Congratulations to BU for making it a game for the first two periods. UM was lucky to get out of that period without a different score.

But now it's a 5-1 blowout...that soft goal by Terry I think deflated BU.
                    yes, we Gopher fans were lucky our team wasn't up 3-0 after the first, we hate it when they take an early lead, it's more fun to watch them play with their opponent before killing them.

you obviously weren't there, the Gophers controlled play the whole game, only a fluke goal was able to get by Leveille

Comment

you obviously weren't there, the Gophers controlled play the whole game, only a fluke goal was able to get by Leveille
                      It wasn't a fluke goal. Leveille has been playing those straight up in the air all season and it finally burned her.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post

Additionally, somebody earlier said the BU band was the best band in college hockey,
                        maybe times have changed but I thought etiquette prescribed that when one band was playing the other was supposed to wait. When the Gopher band was playing BYU would start up. I know you people out east live in an urban jungle, so I suppose you live by different rules.

People go to a hockey game to watch hockey, not listen to Nancy Boys who couldn't even make the 6th grade BB team play with his horn. When 2 bands play the result is noise.

Hey, they traveled a long way so I guess if they want to be jerks, I guess that's their choice. They were pretty deflated the third period, although they still tried to drown out the MN band every time the Gophers scored. What a bunch of losers.

Comment

yes, we Gopher fans were lucky our team wasn't up 3-0 after the first, we hate it when they take an early lead, it's more fun to watch them play with their opponent before killing them.

I was referring to at least two open net BU opportunities in the latter part of the second period...my post should have been clearer that I was referring to the second period.

Comment

BU totally and completely dominated the battle of the bands. Minnesota won nearly everything else.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard
                              I was referring to at least two open net BU opportunities in the latter part of the second period. My post should have been clearer that I was referring to the second period.
                              oh, because they were soundly beaten on the scoreboard
                              and soundly defeated shots on goal
                              and likely every other stat of importance

we're counting open "net chances"?

OK, if that's what makes you feel better

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                                It was closer on the scoreboard this year. BU was right there at the end of the second period. However, I think because this team of Terriers wasn't as deep, it was going to have a tough time in the third period even if it had managed to knot the score when it was 2-1.

By the end, some of the BU kids were pretty gassed, and the Minnesota 4th line was able to get on the ice and hold their own, even for a shift against the Warren line that wouldn't have happened in the first 40 minutes.

The problem for the Terriers this time was that Minnesota played it's third line against BU's top line for most of the game, and the Terry line outscored the Warren line 3-1. I don't think this version of BU can win many games when its top line is losing the battle.

But BU definitely gave a very good effort and fought hard. I think the Terriers just ran out of bullets.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X