Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey '13-'14: Tournament Season - One Game At A Time!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Hockey '13-'14: Tournament Season - One Game At A Time!

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    anyway, i know we won't be hearing anything from down comm ave, right? i mean considering they just cut a couple kids. what's funny though is some western college hockey blogger is already on the offensive:

"Richardson didn't develop like BC hoped, so he gets dumped, and BC goes out and steals another program's recruit like Milano."

even though milano committed to BC in NOVEMBER. So this person wants you to believe that a month into the season, BC went after Milano knowing that they would pull the plug on Richardson because he hadn't developed...in one month. fact of the matter is you go after someone like milano if you can and worry about the rest down the line. not to mention we don't even know if richardson simply saw the writing on the wall due to his lack of PT and left on his own accord.
    I believe "like Milano" means a similar player/case in the future not literally Milano.

That said if this is a cut it sucks, but I don't believe it is. While it appears he is on a full scholarship and wasn't worth it last year I don't think BC is in a position to be cutting forwards at the moment, and he may well have been worth it this coming year.

As for BU, I dislike that they had cuts as well. It absolutely sucks for Collier that he showed up, worked hard, did nothing wrong and now has a year where he is ineligible. However, he was a Parker recruit who is a small grinding forward without much offensive ability that doesn't fit in the system Quinn is instituting. If Quinn makes a habit of cutting his own recruits just because they don't pan out and the NCAA transfer restricitions remain in place I will be p1ssed with my school and they will know about it (some team employees already do, actually), but I know few take as much of a hardline stance on that as I do.

ETA: "Going after Milano when you can and worrying about the rest down the line" is the exact attitude that causes an over offer of scholarships and forces cuts.
    Last edited by Agganis; 06-03-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

not to mention we don't even know if richardson simply saw the writing on the wall due to his lack of PT and left on his own accord.
      What do you think being run off means?
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        What do you think being run off means?
        If "facing competition for playing time" means "being run off" then lots of people in competitive sports are run off. Given that The Boston College Hockey Blog ("the kid") is the only blogger who has reported on Richardson's departure (BCI wrote a story about it, but there was no reporting involved), I'm guessing that you know the same amount that I know about why Richardson is leaving. i.e., zero.

BC lost 4 forwards this year and is bringing in just 3 forwards. In addition, 2 of the forwards who are returning played themselves out of the lineup by the time the tournament started, and one of the forwards who did finish the year playing regularly (M. Gaudreau) barely played for most of the season. Given that roster situation, I sincerely doubt BC is interested in "cutting" any forwards.

Now, if Richardson met with the coaching staff at the end of the season and said "so, am I going to get more playing time next year?," and the staff told him, "Maybe, but it's going to be tough, we have a deep roster and even more talent coming in," and Richardson decided that it was in his best interest to transfer... I have no problem with that, from anyone involved, and hope for Richardson's sake that he finds a place where he can play regularly.

That said, we really don't know why he's leaving. He could be homesick. He might not like the school. Who knows. I would say that it's pretty inflammatory to use your reasonably semi-decent-sized platform to accuse BC of yanking his scholarship or act like a kid has a divine right to playing time when you're at a program that is consistently bringing in highly touted freshmen.
        Last edited by joegrav; 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

re: agganis

so then he's slamming them for something that hasn't even happened yet!

had to look up a previous post regarding next year's forwards. here is revised list:

Forward (15):

Fitzgerald
          Cangelosi
          Gilmour
          Calnan
          Linell
          Straight
          Smith
          Sit
          Silk
          M. Gaudreau
          McMullen
          Spiro
          Milano
          Tuch
          Sanford

had 17 this year BUT that was an unusually large # for York.

and i don't think anyone likes the idea of cutting players. i agree there, certainly don't like it. but as i've said before, it's something i have come to accept. i guess it just annoys me that it comes off as BC being the only school cutting players which certainly isn't the case. i hear what you're saying about a coaching change (along the same lines, it's the same reason BC shouldn't catch any flak for Gaudreau). how about an assistant coach leaving? what if they were responsible for recruiting a guy and ultimately sold the head coach on the player? or if a coach says hey i'm not gonna cut you but i can't guarantee you'll get any playing time next year...what ultimately happens? won't the player look elsewhere? even though it sure looks like he was "cut".

with the # of recruits BU has lined up, i would think it's a distinct possibility quinn ends up cutting some of his own recruits at some point. just something that bears watching.

cuts happen at levels leading up to college and at the pro ranks...why should in between be any different?

Comment

Forward (15):

Fitzgerald
            Cangelosi
            Gilmour
            Calnan

Linell
            Straight
            Smith
            Sit
            Silk
            M. Gaudreau
            McMullen
            Spiro
            Milano
            Tuch
            Sanford
            IMO on that list there are 9 "locks" to play forward based on either what they did in previous years, or their pedigree coming in. (I'm not necessarily the world's #1 Sit fan, but he's been a consistent faceoff guy and penalty killer and I doubt York takes him out of the lineup, especially since he's a senior captain.) Plenty of competition for the final three forward spots. Should be interesting. Obviously none of us saw much of Richardson, but I certainly feel like he would have had an opportunity... but it would have been no guarantee, since he was behind a number of these guys (M.G., Silk, Straight, Linell) on the depth chart last season.
            Last edited by joegrav; 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              ETA: "Going after Milano when you can and worrying about the rest down the line" is the exact attitude that causes an over offer of scholarships and forces cuts.
              and in cases like this, do you think other top programs would turn away a top player like milano if it meant they would have to cut someone else? i sure as hell don't.

Comment

and i don't think anyone likes the idea of cutting players. i agree there, certainly don't like it. but as i've said before, it's something i have come to accept. i guess it just annoys me that it comes off as BC being the only school cutting players which certainly isn't the case.
                It is not something I have come to accept, and if it is something that BC followers find not out of the ordinary that suggests BC is doing it in greater numbers than other schools, although this is purely anecdotal evidence.

i hear what you're saying about a coaching change (along the same lines, it's the same reason BC shouldn't catch any flak for Gaudreau). how about an assistant coach leaving? what if they were responsible for recruiting a guy and ultimately sold the head coach on the player?
                The coach was sold on the player and offered him a scholarship, whether the AC later got promoted (which should reinforce his judgement on the player, not make it less valuable) won't change that.

or if a coach says hey i'm not gonna cut you but i can't guarantee you'll get any playing time next year...what ultimately happens? won't the player look elsewhere? even though it sure looks like he was "cut".
                If a coach says "you'll have to earn your playing time, I won't give it to you" I don't think most players would look elsewhere unless they don't believe they actually have a fair shot.

If a coach says "you're not going to play next year but I won't cut you so you may as well look elsewhere" I'd count that as a cut in my mind.

cuts happen at levels leading up to college and at the pro ranks...why should in between be any different?
                The difference is when a NCAA D1 player gets cut they are for some reason also banned from playing the following season at any other D1 school. Colin Sullivan wasn't allowed to play at any D1 school after he play 32 games for BC the year prior.

Once college treats cuts the same way they are treated at the pros (free agency) then I may agree with you. Until then the two are completely incomparable.
                Last edited by Agganis; 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

maizerage likes to hit and run threads. i wouldn't hold your breath for a response.

Comment

and in cases like this, do you think other top programs would turn away a top player like milano if it meant they would have to cut someone else? i sure as hell don't.
                    I sure as hell don't want my school to. Yes it's fun to watch my team win, but not at the expense of screwing over an 18 year old who an adult made a promise to that he decided he didn't want to keep.

Comment

anyway, i know we won't be hearing anything from down comm ave, right? i mean considering they just cut a couple kids. what's funny though is some western college hockey blogger is already on the offensive:

"Richardson didn't develop like BC hoped, so he gets dumped, and BC goes out and steals another program's recruit like Milano."

even though milano committed to BC in NOVEMBER. So this person wants you to believe that a month into the season, BC went after Milano knowing that they would pull the plug on Richardson because he hadn't developed...in one month. fact of the matter is you go after someone like milano if you can and worry about the rest down the line. not to mention we don't even know if richardson simply saw the writing on the wall due to his lack of PT and left on his own accord.
                      BREAKING NEWS: Someone dumb wrote something dumb on the internet.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        I sure as hell don't want my school to. Yes it's fun to watch my team win, but not at the expense of screwing over an 18 year old who an adult made a promise to that he decided he didn't want to keep.
                        Agganis, we are in partial agreement, partial disagreement. I do think it would be wrong to cut someone and yank their scholarship. I disagree with you that an honest assessment of how much playing time a kid is likely to get is "equivalent to a cut," if a player is pursuing his best interests in going elsewhere. I can't recall very many programs with the same number of players as they have roster spots. A scholarship is NOT a promise of playing time. It IS a promise of (x) years of education paid for, and yanking that involuntarily would be wrong imho.

Other than Colin Sullivan and Richardson,who else has transferred out Pf BC recently due to playing time? I know Vatrano and Tiefenwerth never really got started here but those were not this kind of situation, and Kenny Ryan left to go play major juniors after playing in an exhibition game. Other than that...?
                        -

Comment

If a coach says "you'll have to earn your playing time, I won't give it to you" I don't think most players would look elsewhere unless they don't believe they actually have a fair shot.

If a coach says "you're not going to play next year but I won't cut you so you may as well look elsewhere" I'd count that as a cut in my mind.
                          well i don't think any coach would flat out say "you're not going to play next year". for the other point, it's probably somewhere in between on whether or not a kid would look elsewhere. really depends on the kid/family, etc. each situation would be different.

The difference is when a NCAA D1 player gets cut they are for some reason also banned from playing the following season at any other D1 school. Colin Sullivan wasn't allowed to play at any D1 school after he play 32 games for BC the year prior.

Once college treats cuts the same way they are treated at the pros (free agency) then I may agree with you. Until then the two are completely incomparable.
                          ok so you have a larger gripe with the NCAA. i can certainly agree with that. at the same time, being cut doesn't have to be a crippling blow. sullivan has hooked on elsewhere i believe, correct? i know recently former BC recruit piazza hooked on with michigan. these kids still have opportunities to pursue their hockey dreams if they choose to do so.

Comment

you didn't answer the question

Comment

ok so you have a larger gripe with the NCAA. i can certainly agree with that. at the same time, being cut doesn't have to be a crippling blow. sullivan has hooked on elsewhere i believe, correct? i know recently former BC recruit piazza hooked on with michigan. these kids still have opportunities to pursue their hockey dreams if they choose to do so.
                              Yes, my issue is with the NCAA, but the schools run the NCAA, so the schools made the rules and then their employees cut players which forces them to sit out a year. I did not say it was a crippling blow, it is; however, completely and utterly unfair to the young man, I hope we are at least in agreement on that.

Comment

and with that being said i can't even remember if picking up milano caused BC to have to cut someone

Comment

Working...
                                X