Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Originally posted by The Hallucination View Post
    Very good - I think we're staying in the Center City area. If you don't mind being our neighborhood/public transit guide... If a game goes late, how late does that particular subway line run, and/or are their later-night public transit options?

Also, I think our hotel is about 3 miles from the arena; if our group is up for a walk, (a) is it reasonably safe to walk down that stretch of Broad Street? and (b) any bar recommendations along the way?

---

We're reasonably excited for this trip all things considered. Baseball Wednesday night, and Friday I think we may be renting a vehicle to drive out to the Yeungling brewery. The teams that made it are... shall we say, *not* our favorites. I think we're actually debating the VIP thing for the semis to aid in pre/between game drinking.
    You really should have a great time in Philly and environs. I'm not sure how long at night the Broad Street line runs but many Phillies fans use it so I expect for a while after the ball game ends. Check the SEPTA site.

There is not much of interest to see on Broad from about Packer Ave to South Street so I would suggest you either take the subway(unless it's late and the crowds have thinned out) then cab it. A walk in Center City would be much more pleasant. Walk up Walnut Street to Rittenhouse Square(18th Street) from Broad. If the weather is good there are some up-scale bar/ restaurants with outdoor seating facing the square. They are pricey so if you want a cut above dive bar(my preference), check out the Irish Pub at 20th and Walnut. Penn students usually keep it lively.

In the sports complex area, don't forget XFINITY LIVE, a large sports-themed restaurant/bar complex across Pattison Ave from the Phillies ball park and a short distance from Wells Fargo. Also, Chickie and Pete's sports bar( highly rated by ESPN) is on Packer Ave just west of Broad(walkable from the sports complex) It's always fun. My favorite South Philly pizza place is Celebre's , a couple of places down from C&P's. For some local flavor, visit the Philladium across Packer Ave.

You must like your beer. Yards Brewery is a craft brewery located in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philly and I understand they have tours on the weekend. Standard Tap is a great neighborhood bar in the same neighborhood.

Northern Liberties is fun but be aware that it is a gentrifying neighborhood in near, North Philly. Be careful up there at night and take a cab.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
      Exxxotica convention in Atlantic City starting Friday.
      Ironic that I thought Shy Terrier will love that, and I see its you posting it!
      Providence College
      National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
        Exxxotica convention in Atlantic City starting Friday.
        Now I know why you are staying in AC.

Comment

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
          You really should have a great time in Philly and environs. I'm not sure how long at night the Broad Street line runs but many Phillies fans use it so I expect for a while after the ball game ends. Check the SEPTA site.

There is not much of interest to see on Broad from about Packer Ave to South Street so I would suggest you either take the subway(unless it's late and the crowds have thinned out) then cab it. A walk in Center City would be much more pleasant. Walk up Walnut Street to Rittenhouse Square(18th Street) from Broad. If the weather is good there are some up-scale bar/ restaurants with outdoor seating facing the square. They are pricey so if you want a cut above dive bar(my preference), check out the Irish Pub at 20th and Walnut. Penn students usually keep it lively.

In the sports complex area, don't forget XFINITY LIVE, a large sports-themed restaurant/bar complex across Pattison Ave from the Phillies ball park and a short distance from Wells Fargo. Also, Chickie and Pete's sports bar( highly rated by ESPN) is on Packer Ave just west of Broad(walkable from the sports complex) It's always fun. My favorite South Philly pizza place is Celebre's , a couple of places down from C&P's. For some local flavor, visit the Philladium across Packer Ave.

You must like your beer. Yards Brewery is a craft brewery located in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philly and I understand they have tours on the weekend. Standard Tap is a great neighborhood bar in the same neighborhood.

Northern Liberties is fun but be aware that it is a gentrifying neighborhood in near, North Philly. Be careful up there at night and take a cab.

Have fun!
          The Sioux pre-game party is at McFaddens, 461 N 3rd. Is that walkable to the arena? Public transit?
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
            The Sioux pre-game party is at McFaddens, 461 N 3rd. Is that walkable to the arena? Public transit?

You might have the wrong McFadden's. There is a McFadden's attached to Citizens Bank Park, an easy walk from the arena. The 3rd Street location is in Olde City, several miles from the Sports Complex. Plug McFadden's Citizen Bank Park into a search engine. It's a fun spot and there will be a ton of Phillies fans there.

Comment

Don't forget that just across the river in New Jersey in Camden is the battleship USS New Jersey.

On the PA side just south of one of the bridges is the USS Olympia (you may fire when ready, Gridley)
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

What's the deal with the Hobey ceremony this year? It's not in the arena, but in a downtown hotel, apparently. Do you have to buy tickets to go? Is it even possible to buy tickets?

Kind of dumb that it's miles from the rink... I was looking forward to going to this then walking over to the Phillies game.
                BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                -
                Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                  What's the deal with the Hobey ceremony this year? It's not in the arena, but in a downtown hotel, apparently.
                  Jeez seriously?
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
                    What's the deal with the Hobey ceremony this year? It's not in the arena, but in a downtown hotel, apparently. Do you have to buy tickets to go? Is it even possible to buy tickets?

Kind of dumb that it's miles from the rink... I was looking forward to going to this then walking over to the Phillies game.
                    If I find out, I'll make sure you have a seat next to Starman

Comment

• Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Jeez seriously?
                      Yeah...

"This year's Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced Friday, April 11, 2014 from the Loews Hotel Millennium Ballroom in Philadelphia, PA"
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        If I find out, I'll make sure you have a seat next to Starman

I was about to make a "I'll have to miss Hobey Dowd's acceptance speech if I want to make it to the Phillies game" joke but decided not to. But hey, you went there, so.
                        -

Comment

Have they released the fan guide yet?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Have they released the fan guide yet?
                            Nope. Of course as long as waitresses around town bow down and kiss someone's butt because they're wearing a college hockey jersey, we won't have to call this year's Frozen Four a failure and we can forgive them for missing minor details like, say, oh, a schedule of freaking events.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Nope. Of course as long as waitresses around town bow down and kiss someone's butt because they're wearing a college hockey jersey, we won't have to call this year's Frozen Four a failure and we can forgive them for missing minor details like, say, oh, a schedule of freaking events.
                              I have absolutely no reference since this is my first F4, but I'm getting the impression from a lot of the veterans that this has been, speaking only of the cost and planning, one of the below average showings... Which is absolutely bizarre considering the teams in the tournament.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Steaks at Geno's, and if you're still hungry after one, try Pat's.

Bet some ponies at Parx Racing.

Plus Camden is nice this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X