2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

The Yankees game will be on one of screens at either XFINITY LIVE or Chickie's and Pete's or many of the other sports bars in Philly and staying put leaves time and cash available for much food and drink. An option to consider.

Comment

It's not too often that I come onto the Fan Forum to read posts, but I popped in today and saw this thread. Great info everyone!

If you're heading to Philly this week, I wanted to let you know of a few events hosted by USCHO that will be fun for fans:

- Hobey Watch Party at Field House: For the first time in a long time, the Hobey Baker ceremony will be a private event that will be closed to the general public. Because of this, USCHO is hosting a watch party at Field House Philadelphia, a pretty cool sports bar located diagonally across from the Loews Hotel near the Reading Terminal Market. We'll be there beginning at 4:00 for USCHO Live and at 6:00, we'll have the broadcast of the Hobey on the main screen and over the speaker system. Even if we all think we know who is going to win, it's an excuse to come drink with most of the USCHO.com staff! Say hello if you stop by!

- USCHO Live: For the fourth straight year, Ed Trefzger and I will be hosting USCHO Live at the Frozen Four. This two-hour daily radio show will be hosted live at Field House. We'll have some great college hockey guests (journalists, commissioners, coaches, players) throughout the weekend. There will also be daily giveaways of USCHO gear. The show runs from 4-6 on Wednesday, 1-3 on Thursday, 4-6 on Friday and 3-5 on Saturday. Throughout Wednesday and Friday's shows, you can take advantage of some of Field House's daily happy hour drink and appetizer specials.

- USCHO at FanFest: USCHO is again partnering with the Humanitarian Award committee to host a booth at FanFest. Stop by and say hello!

I hope to see some of you at these events. Enjoy the Frozen Four!

Jim Connelly

Comment

Originally posted by j.d. View Post
        as a human, baseball games are overrated for the simple fact they routinely take around 3.5-4 hours. Not fun if you ask me.
        fyp

Also, well deserved:
        http://bgr.com/2014/04/08/comcast-wo...ny-in-america/
        Last edited by Bonin21; 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          Not a great idea IMO. You're talking about getting on an Amtrak at around 4pm to be sure to get there on time, two subway lines each way (a hassle if you're not used to it) or an expensive round trip cab ride, then possibly having to leave the game early (Yanks-Red Sox games ALWAYS take a long time) to make the return train at 11:15 and back to Philly around 1am, or if not the next train isn't until 3am. And it's ~$150 RT per person on Amtrak, plus local travel in NYC, plus however much you'll spend for the game tickets. Or if you drive it's Friday NYC rush hour traffic. Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me (bearing in mind that I'm not a Yanks or Red Sox fan, and live in NYC so there's no novelty factor for me). If you're going to do it, you really should do a day trip to make the travel (time and expenditure) worthwhile.
          I will be making the trip to NY on Sunday and hopefully see Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park and the 9/11 memorial. I have about 12 hours - can I do it all?
          Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            as a red sox fan, sox-yanks games are overrated for the simple fact they routinely take around 3.5-4 hours. not fun if you ask me.
            If I were going to the Frozen Four I'd be doing my own tour of brewpubs. No need for a ball game in NYC.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
              I will be making the trip to NY on Sunday and hopefully see Grand Central Station, Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building, Times Square, Central Park and the 9/11 memorial. I have about 12 hours - can I do it all?
              Do you have reservations for the 9/11 memorial, they are required. I would start at the Museum of Natural History area of central park (too big to do the whole thing in one day) for a morning thing, then hit Times Square. the Empire State building may be your biggest problem as the lines there can be atrocious, especially on weekends. If you are touring MSG, there may be tickets or reservations required as well. The 1, 2 and 3 subways will take you to most of your destinations except Grand Central, you can catch that by taking the shuttle train from times Square to Grand Central Terminal, about a 20 minute round trip. There is a one day unlimited ride metro card for the subway which will save you alot of money vs. cabs, although a NYC cab ride is much scarier than any roller coaster, if you are into that kind of thing. The top of rockefeller Center may be an alternative to the Empire state building, you have St Patricks Cathedral, Radio City Music Hall, in that area as well. If you walk south down fifth avenue from the park you can cut through Rockefeller Plaza to get to Times Square. I live an hour away and i have only seen probably %0.01 of what NYC has to offer. good luck!
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                Do you have reservations for the 9/11 memorial, they are required. I would start at the Museum of Natural History area of central park (too big to do the whole thing in one day) for a morning thing, then hit Times Square. the Empire State building may be your biggest problem as the lines there can be atrocious, especially on weekends. If you are touring MSG, there may be tickets or reservations required as well. The 1, 2 and 3 subways will take you to most of your destinations except Grand Central, you can catch that by taking the shuttle train from times Square to Grand Central Terminal, about a 20 minute round trip. There is a one day unlimited ride metro card for the subway which will save you alot of money vs. cabs, although a NYC cab ride is much scarier than any roller coaster, if you are into that kind of thing. The top of rockefeller Center may be an alternative to the Empire state building, you have St Patricks Cathedral, Radio City Music Hall, in that area as well. If you walk south down fifth avenue from the park you can cut through Rockefeller Plaza to get to Times Square. I live an hour away and i have only seen probably %0.01 of what NYC has to offer. good luck!
                Thanks for the info! It looked like the stuff I have planned (except for 9/11) is walkable - no?
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Is the 9/11 museum even open for the season? Or are you guys talking about something else?
                  http://www.911memorial.org/visit-911-memorial-museum

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                    Thanks for the info! It looked like the stuff I have planned (except for 9/11) is walkable - no?
                    I wouldn't do it. That's a lot of hoofing for what you would like to do. I'd also recommend the day-long metro card. It isn't terribly hard to figure out the subway system, and I'm sure most NYPD/Metro workers would help you figure it out if you can't.

Also, if you have a smartphone, you can download the app HopStop, and just plug in your destinations and it will give you directions that way. Note, no service underground last I knew.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      If I were going to the Frozen Four I'd be doing my own tour of brewpubs. No need for a ball game in NYC.
                      Yup, it's why UML fans get it :-) all about the brew pubs!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                        Yes, if you want the madness of Midtown. If you have not been to that area of the city before then by all means , go there. Top if the Rock way better option than ESB, less crowded and from ESB you can't see the ESB!! I tell people this all the time . Me? Anything Greenwich Village and below, I'm a downtown guy :-) . Bryant Park behind the library is a great place to have a bite to eat outside if weather permits and do check out the inside of the library. The food options in Grand Central are astounding . If it were me I would do the 9/11 memorial and the museum of Jewish Heritage near World Trade Center and you are near city hall park and Chinatown and you could walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and south street seaport right there too. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
                          The flagship location is at 12th and Chestnut, a couple of blocks south of the Reading Market at 12th and Arch. There is also a shop inside XFINITY LIVE at the Sports Complex.
                          Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Yes
                          Google maps told Mookie the other day - 5 min walk
                          Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the flagship location, but it's good to know that there's a convenient alternative by the rink.

Good News/Bad News on the flagship. Good: Very close to Reading Market; very easy walk. Bad: So close there's no real chance this changes the mix for parking. Bottom Line: We'll work something out.

Travel safe, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                            Yes, if you want the madness of Midtown. If you have not been to that area of the city before then by all means , go there. Top if the Rock way better option than ESB, less crowded and from ESB you can't see the ESB!! I tell people this all the time . Me? Anything Greenwich Village and below, I'm a downtown guy :-) . Bryant Park behind the library is a great place to have a bite to eat outside if weather permits and do check out the inside of the library. The food options in Grand Central are astounding . If it were me I would do the 9/11 memorial and the museum of Jewish Heritage near World Trade Center and you are near city hall park and Chinatown and you could walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and south street seaport right there too. Just my 2 cents
                            South St seaport is a great place to grab a bite alone the river. Walkable (albeit bring your walking shoes) from WTC

Comment

Woke to spectacular weather today in Philly area, the best of the year so far...forecast of 70 by Sunday. I predict a festive atmosphere for the FF. It's party time!

Comment

It **** well better be nice. I'm leaving the best weather Minnesota has seen in literally six months.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X