• Show
Clear All

Original Story Link

1977 LINK to the original article from the Schenectady Gazette

Comment

Re: Original Story Link

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
      1977 LINK to the original article from the Schenectady Gazette
      Note the part about hockey recruiting violations per NESCAC rules.

NESCAC was talking about kicking Union out. Union had to make a decision. Get hockey back in order and stay in NESCAC for all sports, or decide that hockey ruled the roost, and pull out of NESCAC. They decided not to allow NESCAC to tell them what to do with their hockey team, and thus voted to leave. But, had they not changed the ways the hockey team was run, NESCAC was going to kick them out.

Like I said, "You can't fire me, I quit." They were kicked out. They just made their announcement first...

BTW, the following season, Harkness was fired by Union mid-season. His recruiting violations were a lot worse than he let on, he lied to the president of the school, there were freshmen players in the mid-20s (back when that was taboo), and many of the players did not come close to meeting Union's academic standards. Had some of this come out a year earlier, I suspect Union would not have provided a vote of confidence to their hockey team and would have made the changes necessary to stay in NESCAC. (When Harkness was fired, all the players quit. Using replacement players, they lost the next game, 19-1. They did not win a game for the rest of the season.)
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Re: Daniel Webster adding D-III varsity men's and women's hockey

It is interesting re-reading all this stuff. I started following Elmira College hockey in '75, so this is a throwback to my childhood memories.

Comment

I do remember well, unfortunately, EC's 9-1 waxing at the hands of Union that Sunday afternoon in '77. Anyway, back to Daniel Webster, it's always nice to have a new team. Now, if NYU would join, and hopefully a couple others to get that 12-team tournament...

Comment

I was just curious so I used the TES - Mileage Calculation (The NCAA Bible of mileage) for each current ECACW school and the furthest from DWC is Nazareth at 401 miles. (Plattsburgh to Fredonia is 419 miles) There is no reason DWC could not be number 7 for ECACW. The rest are 377 miles or less.
            Last edited by Birdwatcher; 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls
              According to the West bylaws they would allow a team like Canton to be members but have a two year period before they could be eligible. If Canton went to the West two years ago they would be eligible for playoffs in the 14-15 season. So I would have to say that they are on track to join the SUNYAC.
              I don't think the current NCAA rules allow a team to join a league until after two years of provisional membership. Games against first and second year provisional teams do not count as DIII games. If I'm correct about this, Canton couldn't have joined the ECAC/W even this year, but they could join next year. It would be to the ECAC W's advantage to get them into the "fold" as soon as they can if that is the direction they choose
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                That was a "soft" deadline that ended before it even started. The deadline was stated either last year or the year before that they had 2 years to do such and then a year after that, they said "just kidding" you guys are fine.

Although, the deadline is no longer in play, I do believe both Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's have actively looked at dropping down to Division III....Might be all about just finding the right league to play in...
                So the " deadline" is a moot point, are you sure ? you are right, both are actively exploring DIII as the preferred option, just finding an existing league, or part of a new league in all other sports. Basketball , the NE-10 and scholarships still an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkhockey View Post
                  So the " deadline" is a moot point, are you sure ? you are right, both are actively exploring DIII as the preferred option, just finding an existing league, or part of a new league in all other sports. Basketball , the NE-10 and scholarships still an issue.
                  Considering they made the ECAC east schedule for a year after the two-year deadline I would say yes that it was taken away...
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Looks like DWC will be headed to the ECAC-NE. Smart move.
                    http://athletics.dwc.edu/information...0414NTNewSport
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Looks like DWC will be headed to the ECAC-NE. Smart move.
                      http://athletics.dwc.edu/information...0414NTNewSport
                      that would be best fit
                      Steve Day(NU71)
                      Go Cadets

Comment

This is great news! The more hockey in NH the better! Best of luck to DWC.

Comment

Look for Endicott College in Beverly MA to elevate to d3 varsity status in the near future. They are building a rink. They have a good club program and have built some good d3 teams in other sports including a nationally ranked lacrosse program. The school is very pro athletics. Their facilities are all excellent for this level and the hockey arena will follow suit. They could play in either ECAC league the northeast or east. Sorry west! You'd have to keep searching.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Woodshed View Post
                            Look for Endicott College in Beverly MA to elevate to d3 varsity status in the near future. They are building a rink. They have a good club program and have built some good d3 teams in other sports including a nationally ranked lacrosse program. The school is very pro athletics. Their facilities are all excellent for this level and the hockey arena will follow suit. They could play in either ECAC league the northeast or east. Sorry west! You'd have to keep searching.
                            " It is our hope that we will quickly move from men’s and women’s club status to NCAA Division III competition." - Richard E. Wylie, President, Endicott College
                            Larry Normandin
                            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Looks like DWC has a Men's Hockey Coach.
                              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

I always wondered why Daniel Webster didn't call themselves the Devils?
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X