This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    My company gives the day after thanksgiving off but not Christmas Eve.

We do get our birthday as a floating vacation day to use anytime in our birth month.

There is also a floating day that my company randomly uses to make a long weekend of an existing holiday. For 2014, it is for Boxing Day. 2013 was the Friday before Labor Day (coupled with my floating birthday I had a five day weekend). 2015 it's being used for the day after New Year.
    My Unions contract includes holidays for Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, and New Years.

The catch is, as a full-time employee on the air side, I have to go to work unless it's my normal scheduled day off. So Thanksgiving? Gotta go in. Christmas? Gotta go in. New Years? Gotta go in. Yeah I get holiday pay and it's a nice paycheck but, to some extent I'd rather be home with my family.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Gear Grinding Part 5: The Story of the Broken Tooth

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      I suppose you can't tell people that anti-"biotics" are totally useless against a virus, eh? though it might be fun in theory to imagine their blank stares in response.

then you could say "would you like an anti-viral for that bacterial infection?"
      *cough* Are you kidding? Part of the requirement is the prescription so they can geta full benefit from their insurance they are paying for!!1!!11!! Even if the copay is higher than the OTC med, probiotic or not.

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
      Sugar pills for everyone!
      *cough*

2nd patient in yesterday. Not even really sick but she might be getting sick because she coughed and 2 yrs ago she had pneumonia. Called, got triaged and then got nasty insisting she be seen. My comment was something like- so, exactly what do you think I am going to do for you? She had no idea but she wanted to be seen before the long weekend. I say we are open Friday. Well, she has things to do that day. She left without a prescription and the same advice she got on the phone. WWWWW***F did you just pay 25$ to waste my time for. Oh, and she refused the Flu shot because she never gets sick Sometimes I think I might bite the tip of my tongue right off.

Comment

There really is no cure for stupid

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          There really is no cure for stupid
          Yes there is - and it eventually gets all of us.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Yes there is - and it eventually gets all of us.
            But they breed. (Not very PC today am I?)

Comment

Two idiotic things people do with emails that really bug me.

- the endless chain of forwards. You can scroll down and see 15 or 20 or 25 different back and forths that have evolved beyond the point of all recognition. Occasionally someone will include sensitive internal information that should never be included in an external email. I've seen it both ways, in emails we receive from others, and once in a while, in an email someone on our staff forwarded. Do NOT include an internal debate in any email you then send externally!!

- not updating the subject line to reflect the actual topic at hand. Someone starts an email about, say, "the garden" and in the course of the back and forth, someone else asks a question about, say "the kitchen" yet the reply to the question about the kitchen still has "the garden" in the subject line.

I get copied on so many emails that have nothing directly to do with me, that when I get busy, I just ignore them for several days until I can go back and scan through them. Inevitably I'll find something that I should have responded to if I had only known what it was actually about in the first place. (e.g., I answer emails about "the kitchen" and ignore emails about "the garden" but you changed the subject of your email without changing the subject line on the email so how am I supposed to know what you are talking about?)
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                My Unions contract includes holidays for Thanksgiving, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, and New Years.

The catch is, as a full-time employee on the air side, I have to go to work unless it's my normal scheduled day off. So Thanksgiving? Gotta go in. Christmas? Gotta go in. New Years? Gotta go in. Yeah I get holiday pay and it's a nice paycheck but, to some extent I'd rather be home with my family.
                I don't recall air employees ever working holidays, although I haven't worked for the company in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  I don't recall air employees ever working holidays, although I haven't worked for the company in years.
                  The carrier in question (if JJ still works for who I think he works for) only does Air shipments on holidays and days after. However, this year (due to e-commerce) they are shipping regular shipments on Black Friday. It's a pretty big deal in the industry.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Target commercial holiday jingle. I already despise it, and I get the feeling they are going to have that marshmallow fluff crap all over the TV for the next couple of weeks.
                    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      The Target commercial holiday jingle. I already despise it, and I get the feeling they are going to have that marshmallow fluff crap all over the TV for the next couple of weeks.
                      Food Network used that song last year... it's annoying.

Edit: the Google says the original was performed by Dean Martin. I think I'd prefer that version to either Food Network's or Target's.
                      Last edited by MissThundercat; 11-27-2014, 10:01 PM.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I don't mind it. It's kind of catchy.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I don't mind it. It's kind of catchy.
                          I was singing it at work today.
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Special case here in Anchorage as we handle the flights going between Asia and the Lower 48. They always fly and somebody has to be here. Outside of Louisville, us, and maybe Ontario I doubt anybody had flights.

I actually don't mind working Thanksgiving or Black Friday. Thanksgiving I can just come home and eat, no cooking, Black Friday is just a normal day with extra pay. It's working Christmas that sucks. When you have to be to work at 6am you don't get to do Christmas morning.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Getting out of work, trying to check my phone, only to realize it was turned off and would not turn back on.

Comment

If you use the last piece of toilet paper, do not leave the empty cardboard roller behind: when you finish the roll, it is your responsibility to replace the roll.

(unless you are a guest).
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X