X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding Part 5: The Story of the Broken Tooth

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Just be glad it was a mouse.
    Amen. Years earlier, we had a squirrel get caught inside and then not find its way out. It died between my daughter's bedroom ceiling and the attic floor. I had to cut open the floor to find it. At least it was tongue-and-groove floor, I could use a circular saw along the joists and then lift up one board after the next until I found the dead body.

I know exactly what you mean about the smell, I actually put on a respirator first before I started.

This could be a great business opportunity for anyone who can figure out how to create a detector that would point you directly to the spot where the dead body is. I wonder if a person could train a ferret to track it down?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Amen. Years earlier, we had a squirrel get caught inside and then not find its way out. It died between my daughter's bedroom ceiling and the attic floor. I had to cut open the floor to find it. At least it was tongue-and-groove floor, I could use a circular saw along the joists and then lift up one board after the next until I found the dead body.

I know exactly what you mean about the smell, I actually put on a respirator first before I started.

This could be a great business opportunity for anyone who can figure out how to create a detector that would point you directly to the spot where the dead body is. I wonder if a person could train a ferret to track it down?
      Don't we already have cadaver dogs? Can't we use the same for dead animals?
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Auto correct on android phones.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          That's the first thing that gets disabled any time I get a new phone. I've seen too many knee-slappers to leave it on.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            I have an Android by choice (personal phone) and an iphone by necessity (work phone), and the autocorrect is horse**** on both. Both are disabled. They are so bad that they will replace real words with words that aren't real that are abbreviations or proper names that I have used once before. I just don't bother with autocorrect anymore.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I turn off auto-correct and auto-fill on any phone I get. I'd rather take the time to tap out each letter, even on a dumbphone than deal with the horsecrap quality of the auto-features.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A manager who gives you a 2-day project on Wednesday and wants it done end of day Friday. Then on Thursday, says, "drop everything else and attend to this other matter pronto! It's urgent!" and then wonders why the Friday deadline hasn't been met.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  A manager who gives you a 2-day project on Wednesday and wants it done end of day Friday. Then on Thursday, says, "drop everything else and attend to this other matter pronto! It's urgent!" and then wonders why the Friday deadline hasn't been met.
                  Been there, done that, worked exempt OT, got the t-shirt.

Comment

They should make old people filters on social media. I don't want to see tweets, pins, instagram comments, etc. from anyone under the age of, say, 25 (you would be able to set your own age limit on the filter, for instance, if 14 year olds waxing poetic about their Starbucks coffee doesn't make you cringe).

samples:
                    ZOMG THIS HAPPENED TO MEEEEEEE IN STUDY HALLLLLLL *emojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemoji*
                    200th like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off my lawn.

or! once I see a pin on pinterest, I can tag it with 'effing stupid' and then never have to see it again, repinned by 10,000 other people. that would be nice too.

related: overuse of the word 'amazing' grinds my gears as well. not everything can be amazing. your packaged oatmeal is probably not really that amazing.
                    Last edited by jen; 11-12-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      They should make old people filters on social media. I don't want to see tweets, pins, instagram comments, etc. from anyone under the age of, say, 25 (you would be able to set your own age limit on the filter, for instance, if 14 year olds waxing poetic about their Starbucks coffee doesn't make you cringe).

samples:
                      ZOMG THIS HAPPENED TO MEEEEEEE IN STUDY HALLLLLLL *emojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemojiemoji*
                      200th like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off my lawn.

or! once I see a pin on pinterest, I can tag it with 'effing stupid' and then never have to see it again, repinned by 10,000 other people. that would be nice too.

related: overuse of the word 'amazing' grinds my gears as well. not everything can be amazing. your packaged oatmeal is probably not really that amazing.
                      This post is so amazeballs!

**runs and hides**
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

samples:
                        200th like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off my lawn.

You can't get attention in the Wide Wide World of Internet unless your experience is just the BEST EVER! or WORSTEST THING EVER (sad face) It's the way kids think, and now we've just given them a super-sized megaphone because we've foolishly let them out of their cages.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

samples:
                          200th like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off my lawn.

There is a filter. Choose not to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Or "unfriend" the annoying ones. That's what I do with people.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Or "unfriend" the annoying ones. That's what I do with people.
                              On things like instagram and pinterest, you do not only see things from your friends. there is not a way to filter, unless you choose not to use it.

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, which I thought should go without saying........ but I guess not.

just goes to show that if you say something on the internet, someone somewhere will take it too seriously. myself included.

Comment

On things like instagram and pinterest, you do not only see things from your friends. there is not a way to filter, unless you choose not to use it.
                                Oh, I've never had a need to use either of them, so I've never even went to those websites.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X