X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gear Grinding Part 5: The Story of the Broken Tooth

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Post 409: the song was called Fancy, upon which bb_dl made the assumption that it was the Reba song in post 410. In post 411, Spartan4Life provided the additional info that the song was by Iggy Azalea, which did not shake bb_dl out of his/her initial belief that it was the Reba song, because he persisted in claiming it must be the Reba song in post 413.
    I'd never heard of "Iggy Azalea" and the name is so outrageous I figured it had to be made up.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I'd never heard of "Iggy Azalea" and the name is so outrageous I figured it had to be made up.
      It is made up. Her name is amethyst.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The person who stole my Coke out of the office fridge.

Probably the same person who leaves their dirty dishes in the sink.

Comment

It grinds my gears when a driver ahead of me on a main thoroughfare stops suddenly for no apparent reason. Then I notice s/he is waving to a car sitting on a side street to pull out ahead of her/him.

Being nice?

not to the 25 cars who have just rear-ended each other slamming on their brakes behind her/him! !
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Canceling a meeting two minutes before it's scheduled to begin when you have people attending from other floors of the building really grinds my gears. The person who organized the meeting actually walked by the door about a minute before the start time, saw me sitting in there and didn't say a thing to me about it being canceled. About five after the hour, another guy in the room got up to check why nobody else had arrived only to be told that it's we were waiting there all for naught.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Would I mind taking on the responsibilities of an account manager, because the account managers aren't doing their job in a timely fashion? Why yes, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                Canceling a meeting two minutes before it's scheduled to begin when you have people attending from other floors of the building really grinds my gears.
                Yeah.

It also grinds my gears when the person that asked for the meeting arrives late.

I wish we could bill the latecomer for the payroll costs incurred by his tardiness. That would have quite the salutary effect on his timeliness in the future, no doubt. Round off to $1 / minute / attendee, five people kept waiting ten minutes = $50. If your time is more valuable than that, pay the money; else show up on time: it's YOUR meeting, not ours.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'm a Christian, and I'm hearing from some other Christians that "we can't say Merry Christmas anymore." That is nonsense. Who told you that? Yeah, the media and some major retailers say "Happy Holidays," but for most people, if you wish them a Merry Christmas, they'll say "thanks" and move along. Some might even wish it back to you.

I'm also sick of my fellow believers saying "we can't say God Bless America anymore" either. The phrase was on the lips of practically every American after 9/11, they've been singing it at MLB games since 9/11, and I think (but not sure) that it's been ingrained into our culture.

In other words, I'm tired of hearing BS.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                    I'm a Christian, and I'm hearing from some other Christians that "we can't say Merry Christmas anymore." That is nonsense. Who told you that? Yeah, the media and some major retailers say "Happy Holidays," but for most people, if you wish them a Merry Christmas, they'll say "thanks" and move along. Some might even wish it back to you.

I'm also sick of my fellow believers saying "we can't say God Bless America anymore" either. The phrase was on the lips of practically every American after 9/11, they've been singing it at MLB games since 9/11, and I think (but not sure) that it's been ingrained into our culture.

There are two holidays where everything in the country is closed. Christmas and Easter. Stores aren't even closed on Thanksgiving anymore. So no, there is no war on Christmas or Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      There are two holidays where everything in the country is closed. Christmas and Easter. Stores aren't even closed on Thanksgiving anymore. So no, there is no war on Christmas or Christianity.
                      Many stores are open on Easter when you get outside of your area. I remember working Easter all through high school and college, working for national retailers.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

Have you been in the public schools recently?
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Many stores are open on Easter when you get outside of your area. I remember working Easter all through high school and college, working for national retailers.
                          I've been in western Mass., Iowa, Nebraska, or Colorado for the last half dozen Easters. About the only store open was Wal-Mart. Even the malls were closed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post

You said it. So sick of all the posts saying stuff like that. Will open a can of worms by adding I am sick of posts about bringing God back into our schools and the whole pledge of allegiance thing. I am a Christian, teach Sunday school and have no problem talking about my faith to anyone who asks. If you are a believer then practice your faith in a way that shows others it is good idea to be like you and worship who you worship. I don't think it is right to make people pledge something they don't believe or study something that is not their religion. You can teach morals in a civics class without ever mentioning God. (of course we don't have Civics because no one wants to fund that and it isn't in the common core!)

And while I am on a rant- All these folks telling people to return their country to it's roots must never have read history. It amazes me that folks seem to forget that many of the religious groups who came here in the beginning did so because they didn't like being forced to do what was not in their faith by the communities they lived in. They went somewhere they could make the rules- here. If we return to our roots Mass would not celebrate Christmas. To do this in Pilgrim times was strictly forbidden. They punished people who tried to make merry and actually went so far as to stress work was to be done on Christmas.

They also forget Founding Fathers were mostly THEISTS, not rabidly Christian. If you want to make an argument about God don't try to make it in the name of people who worked very hard to keep Church and State separate.

Well, not that I have that off my chest- have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Christmas is a federal holiday. And has a substitute if it falls on a weekend. Easter is not, and does not have a federal day off.

Christmas is the only religious day that is on the federal calendar. All the rest are for a person or a specific event in US history or tradition.

One other thing- the "In God We Trust" is barely 60 years old, and the phrase "Under God" in the pledge celebrates 60 this year. Both were added as part of the Red scare, not for any actual leaning or history of this country.

Comment

God bless America played at baseball games grinds my gears. So does the request to stand and remove caps for that song.

If you want to, go ahead. But it's not a national anthem. It's a repurposed showtune.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X