X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: He's dead, Jim.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Man, I hope he makes it through this. You want to talk about being a MAN. Like, old-school Frank Sinatra style MAN, and not some pansy-arse whiner? Jim's a man's man. This article about him backs up everything I just said:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...es-cancer-loss
    Mein Gott. I had no idea. I watched Jim when he was with the Houston Gamblers running Jack Pardee's Red Gun offense. His game was incredibly impressive in person, much more so than on TV. The guy fired lasers. I'll be praying for him.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Jeremiah Denton. Senator, Admiral, Hero and POW who had the presence of mind to blink out "t-o-r-t-u-r-e" during a North Vietnamese dog and pony show interview. He endured 7 years of h*ll as an NVA prisoner, much of it in a cell no bigger than a refrigerator. But he never gave the b*stards anything! Admiral, you honored America with your service. Rest well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/us...bituaries&_r=0
      Last edited by Old Pio; 03-28-2014, 08:22 PM.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Jeremiah Denton. Senator, Admiral, Hero and POW who had the presence of mind to blink out "t-o-r-t-u-r-e" during a North Vietnamese dog and pony show interview. He endured 7 years of h*ll as an NVA prisoner, much of it in a cell no bigger than a refrigerator. But he never gave the b*stards anything! Admiral, you honored America with your service. Rest well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/us...bituaries&_r=0
        Makes me think that the media throws around the word 'hero' a bit too casually. If all the times they use that word simply for someone doing the job expected of them(and being paid for) then what do you call what this courageous exceptional fellow should be called? How about 'superhero'?
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Makes me think that the media throws around the word 'hero' a bit too casually. If all the times they use that word simply for someone doing the job expected of them(and being paid for) then what do you call what this courageous exceptional fellow should be called? How about 'superhero'?
          What Adm. Denton and his fellow POW's held by the North Vietnamese went beyond heroic or even super-heroic, as were those men who survived Japanese treatment in WW II. Marcus Luttrell could be called a super-hero, but he would likely be the first to deny that what he did was heroic.

There is an argument going on today in the Toronto papers after a police officer was shot yesterday by a gunman trying to gain entrance to the courthouse in Brampton. He survived, but the bad guy is at room temperature. Now, the discussion in the comments -- is the officer a hero who prevented a potential rampage, or was he just doing the job he is well paid to perform?

Having done "the job" for 21 years, I think he'd say the same thing that Marcus Luttrell would say. Others would say different.
          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
            What Adm. Denton and his fellow POW's held by the North Vietnamese went beyond heroic or even super-heroic, as were those men who survived Japanese treatment in WW II. Marcus Luttrell could be called a super-hero, but he would likely be the first to deny that what he did was heroic.

There is an argument going on today in the Toronto papers after a police officer was shot yesterday by a gunman trying to gain entrance to the courthouse in Brampton. He survived, but the bad guy is at room temperature. Now, the discussion in the comments -- is the officer a hero who prevented a potential rampage, or was he just doing the job he is well paid to perform?

Having done "the job" for 21 years, I think he'd say the same thing that Marcus Luttrell would say. Others would say different.
            My father earned a silver star in the pacific but rarely spoke about it. When he did, he just said he did what his duty required of him. There are certainly many thousands like that who serve and have served in defense of our country, but I wonder if more from the WW2 generation had that outlook. I mean, it was an attitude with which they approached the challenges they faced in civilian life as well and the sacrifices they were required to make. That observation is anecdotal, of course, and possibly hogwash.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              My father earned a silver star in the pacific but rarely spoke about it. When he did, he just said he did what his duty required of him. There are certainly many thousands like that who serve and have served in defense of our country, but I wonder if more from the WW2 generation had that outlook. I mean, it was an attitude with which they approached the challenges they faced in civilian life as well and the sacrifices they were required to make. That observation is anecdotal, of course, and possibly hogwash.
              If you father is anything like my grandfather (WWI) he'd be satisfied with being called a husband and a father and I surmise he excelled at both. God bless him.

Comment

Newsbusters.com founding blogger Noel Sheppard, two months after being diagnosed with cancer. RIP

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent...rd-passed-away
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Subscribed because I'm not dead yet
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Subscribed because I'm not dead yet
                    I feel happy... I feel happy.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      I feel happy... I feel happy.
                      Oh, shut up and get on the cart!
                      Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

John Pinette.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          John Pinette.
                          Oh wow. He was only 50. I remember seeing his stand up. He had this bit about eating at a Chinese buffet and the manager screaming at him "YOU GO NOW! YOU BEEN HERE 4 OWAHS!!" He was funny.

Comment

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdwuiyO7hOU

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Oh wow. He was only 50. I remember seeing his stand up. He had this bit about eating at a Chinese buffet and the manager screaming at him "YOU GO NOW! YOU BEEN HERE 4 OWAHS!!" He was funny.
                              "EAT VEG-A-TA-BULL! YOU SO BEEG!"

He was hilarious.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"YOU SCARE MY WIFE!!"

The one about eating in Italy is awesome as well.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X