Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge #173: (Insert Title)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge #173: (Insert Title)

My condolences as well, goldy. It sounds like he was one of the best.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Condolences goldy. I'm not sure how many 16 year olds would be amped to get in the military these days to get themselves into a war. A tip of the hat to your FIL.
      Last edited by gmann; 07-17-2014, 05:49 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Condolences goldy...
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Thanks to all for the condolences. I don't want to be under false pretenses here though.

Al and I were not particularly close, but my wife and son loved him dearly. My son's middle name is from his name. He was not a hero so much as what he did was what guys in his time were expected to do. My own dad went in immediately too, but he was 4F (broken hip from high school football never properly set) so he went to work in the arms plant (where he met my mom). It is what that generation did.

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
            For those of you keeping score from home.......little gII has a birthday today. 6 years old.
            Happy birthday little g II !!

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            My FIL just died. Another of the greatest generation. Signed up for the Merchant Marine at 16 since the armed services wouldn't take him at that age. Joined Navy as soon as he could. Was on transports through the North Sea to bring supplies to then allies in Russia. Then went to an amphibious transport in the Pacific for the rest of the war. Worked for a gas and water company in PA till forced to retire. Has had serious medical issues for the past few years. Had just gotten back to his house for a few days before he fell and broke a hip. Probable clot from the surgery.

Logistics will be tough to get Mrs and Jr out there for the funeral since I still need help for a while yet. I want to try and get a neighbor to come by to help me with meals so they can both go out but Mrs is reluctant to leave me alone.
            Mrs goldy is pretty involved in church right? ask church for help. then she can go.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              Thanks! I'm actually at Rogers Middle School, which is in the Elk River District. Should be a great district and I'm excited to finally have a real teaching job. No more subbing for this guy. There were a few districts in the Cities I refused to apply to...MPLS, STP and Robbinsdale. I'm in demand so I knew it was worth avoiding those districts. it wouldn't hurt me in the job hunt.

I also called HR and it turns out the lady who sends out paperwork and has them come in to the district office is out for the week. No wonder I hadn't received a phone call yet. That's a relief.
              So what subjects are you going to teach? Sounds like you went back to school to supplement your history/social studies license?

Sorry to hear, goldy.

Comment

Sorry man....
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Sorry to hear, goldy,

Played Erin Hills today. I had one goal, as a not very good golfer playing a very tough course, make one par. So I could watch the US Open and say "I got par on that hole, why can't Tiger/Phil/Rory/Bubba/etc." Well, I waited until the 18th, but **** if I didn't par that bas****. I had several chances for par before that but couldn't get one to fall. I waited until the 560ish (don't want to check exact distance) yard par 5 18th. Pounded my driver 310 yards center cut, then grooved a 3 wood pin high, but 30 yards right of the green. It was dogleg to the green and the front was protected so i aimed for the fairway. Chipped on and instead of releasing, my ball checked up, so i had a 20 footer left for bird. I would have been a foot out if it didn't check. 2 putted for par. My driver was actually pretty good all day, except for a couple holes. I thought the tight fairways would be my downfall, but it was my complete lack of iron play that hurt the most. My putting was actually very good for as tough as those greens are.

The course is a beast. Hilly as all hell, walking only. Apparently its an 8.5 mile walk for 18 holes. And I feel it. We didn't spend a hundo for a caddie so we carried our bags. Feet are bloody. Can hardly move. But you know what, my dad and I had a helluva great time together on a very special weekend. We both had so much fun that the money and the aches and pains were completely worth it.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Had a great night at my closest friend's place with him and his family. His 2YO son (first time seeing him) was being beyond shy at first, but he was high fiving me by the end of the day and even hugged me good night. Their dogs remembered me, even after only seeing them 3 times in the past 6 years or so. Although to be fair, I helped raise of them from the time I held her in one hand (she's 9 now, German Shorthair http://www.petguide.com/wp-content/u...pointers-1.jpg ). That one instantly was glued to me the rest of the day.

Grilled dinner, we all headed to some music in the park thing (huge huge park/reserve) then he and I hit up a local bar, which had a surprisingly good scotch selection (3 Balvenies, a couple Laphroaigs, and a couple Glenlivets, and also Johnny Blue for those fans of the blended). Also had Dragon's Milk on tap.

Next stop? Hartford WI where the real weekend festivities begin.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sorry, Goldy.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Sorry to hear, Goldy.

Sitting here at my aunt and uncle's just south of Hartford, WI. Apparently it was not well known I was coming, and my cousins were surprised to see me. At least they were happy surprised, instead of disappointed surprised.
                        Last edited by MinnesotaNorthStar; 07-18-2014, 12:11 AM.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Yawn!
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

S'upp y'all
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good Morning!! Friday. One more day....

Comment

Working...
                                X