Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Anyone notice the Bruins made Gus disappear in playoffs.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Jimmy too.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Jimmy too.
        Literally.

B's not a good match up for the smaller speedy Wings. I don't see anyone stopping the Bruins in the East.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Anyone notice the Bruins made Gus disappear in playoffs.
          On the NHL website, reason No. 4 why the Red Wings lost was "No Nyquist."

Comment

The 2014-15 Maine hockey schedule has NOT been released yet. This represents a best guess based on a few things.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL

First, I reverse engineered the Hockey East schedule from last year and added in the dates we already know.
            I put two games at Lowell on the weekend Maine hosted Lowell and put UConn in Alfond on the January bye week from this past season.
            For the three remaining series I guessed based on 1) The home/road split 2) other teams' availability 3) the B1G/HEA challenge 4) Conversations I have had with reporters and other Hockey East cognoscenti.
            This is what I came up with:

10/04/14 Canadian Exhibition
            10/10/14 @Alaska-Anchorage %&
            10/11/14 v Alaska %&
            10/17/14 @Union ^
            10/18/14 @Union ^
            10/24/14 Alaska-Anchorage %
            10/25/14 Alaska-Anchorage %
            10/31/14 Massachusetts *
            11/01/14 Massachusetts *
            11/07/14 @Vermont *
            11/08/14 @Vermont *
            11/15/14 @Boston University *
            11/17/14 Boston University *
            11/23/14 @Boston College *
            11/28/14 Canisius
            11/29/14 Canisius
            12/05/14 @Lowell *
            12/06/14 @Lowell *
            12/12/14 v New Hampshire (Portland) %
            12/13/14 v New Hampshire (Manchester) %

01/02/15 @Penn State
            01/03/15 @Penn State
            01/09/15 Colgate
            01/10/15 Colgate
            01/16/15 Boston College *
            01/23/15 New Hampshire %*
            01/24/15 @New Hampshire %*
            01/30/15 Connecticut *
            01/31/15 Connecticut *
            02/06/15 Notre Dame *
            02/07/15 Notre Dame *
            02/13/15 @Merrimack *
            02/14/15 @Merrimack *
            02/20/15 Northeastern *
            02/21/15 Northeastern *
            02/27/15 @Providence *
            02/28/15 @Providence *
            % - Game is scheduled
            ^ - Known games, location and dates unknown
            & - Exempt
            * - Hockey East games

I think the games @Union are pretty easy to see in October after the team returns from Alaska. A flight to a B1G team would not make sense as it would be two weeks in a row on a plane. Not likely. Furthermore, Union is already playing in the UConn holiday tournament and at Boston University on January 3, which precludes them from playing Maine at that time. They also have ECAC games January 9-10 so they can't play then. The only other available dates are November 28-29. It is possible the AHA games (Canisius) could change dates with the Union games.

As noted above, Canisius is a likely opponent from the AHA. However, every team but Robert Morris and RIT have games available.

Based on the previously announced B1G/HEA challenge, Maine's opponent will be Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan State. Looking at what other teams are already playing Hockey East opposition, Penn State is the most likely opponent.

The final opponent is a crap shoot. However, a team from the ECAC at home is the most likely opponent Maine can schedule. A second series against an AHA team would be very disappointing and teams out west already have most schedules full. Of the ECAC teams, Brown, Colgate, Dartmouth and St Lawrence have available NC games. I am guessing Colgate at home this year and Maine returns a weekend after hosting the Icebreaker in 2015-16 to help Colgate open their new arena.

Also, the Boston College games could be played on one weekend, most likely 1/16 and 1/18. 11/22 and 11/24 would mean Maine would play the Boston teams on consecutive weeks (which has happened before but remains unlikely).

This schedule would give Maine 17 home games, plus the New Hampshire game in Portland. Maine's split would be 17/16/3. This year's home schedule would feature Alaska-Anchorage and Notre Dame making their first appearances in Alfond for a generation (1990 and 1991 respectively). The 2015-16 home slate would feature Penn State and defending champion Union, in addition to the Hockey East opponents and the Icebreaker in Portland.

Comment

Looks like a decent docket, both in terms of SOS and W%, providing that Maine improves a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                The 2014-15 Maine hockey schedule has NOT been released yet. This represents a best guess based on a few things.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL

First, I reverse engineered the Hockey East schedule from last year and added in the dates we already know.
                I put two games at Lowell on the weekend Maine hosted Lowell and put UConn in Alfond on the January bye week from this past season.
                For the three remaining series I guessed based on 1) The home/road split 2) other teams' availability 3) the B1G/HEA challenge 4) Conversations I have had with reporters and other Hockey East cognoscenti.
                This is what I came up with:

10/04/14 Canadian Exhibition
                10/10/14 @Alaska-Anchorage %&
                10/11/14 v Alaska %&
                10/17/14 @Union ^
                10/18/14 @Union ^
                10/24/14 Alaska-Anchorage %
                10/25/14 Alaska-Anchorage %
                10/31/14 Massachusetts *
                11/01/14 Massachusetts *
                11/07/14 @Vermont *
                11/08/14 @Vermont *
                11/15/14 @Boston University *
                11/17/14 Boston University *
                11/23/14 @Boston College *
                11/28/14 Canisius
                11/29/14 Canisius
                12/05/14 @Lowell *
                12/06/14 @Lowell *
                12/12/14 v New Hampshire (Portland) %
                12/13/14 v New Hampshire (Manchester) %

01/02/15 @Penn State
                01/03/15 @Penn State
                01/09/15 Colgate
                01/10/15 Colgate
                01/16/15 Boston College *
                01/23/15 New Hampshire %*
                01/24/15 @New Hampshire %*
                01/30/15 Connecticut *
                01/31/15 Connecticut *
                02/06/15 Notre Dame *
                02/07/15 Notre Dame *
                02/13/15 @Merrimack *
                02/14/15 @Merrimack *
                02/20/15 Northeastern *
                02/21/15 Northeastern *
                02/27/15 @Providence *
                02/28/15 @Providence *
                % - Game is scheduled
                ^ - Known games, location and dates unknown
                & - Exempt
                * - Hockey East games

I think the games @Union are pretty easy to see in October after the team returns from Alaska. A flight to a B1G team would not make sense as it would be two weeks in a row on a plane. Not likely. Furthermore, Union is already playing in the UConn holiday tournament and at Boston University on January 3, which precludes them from playing Maine at that time. They also have ECAC games January 9-10 so they can't play then. The only other available dates are November 28-29. It is possible the AHA games (Canisius) could change dates with the Union games.

As noted above, Canisius is a likely opponent from the AHA. However, every team but Robert Morris and RIT have games available.

Based on the previously announced B1G/HEA challenge, Maine's opponent will be Penn State, Ohio State or Michigan State. Looking at what other teams are already playing Hockey East opposition, Penn State is the most likely opponent.

The final opponent is a crap shoot. However, a team from the ECAC at home is the most likely opponent Maine can schedule. A second series against an AHA team would be very disappointing and teams out west already have most schedules full. Of the ECAC teams, Brown, Colgate, Dartmouth and St Lawrence have available NC games. I am guessing Colgate at home this year and Maine returns a weekend after hosting the Icebreaker in 2015-16 to help Colgate open their new arena.

Also, the Boston College games could be played on one weekend, most likely 1/16 and 1/18. 11/22 and 11/24 would mean Maine would play the Boston teams on consecutive weeks (which has happened before but remains unlikely).

This schedule would give Maine 17 home games, plus the New Hampshire game in Portland. Maine's split would be 17/16/3. This year's home schedule would feature Alaska-Anchorage and Notre Dame making their first appearances in Alfond for a generation (1990 and 1991 respectively). The 2015-16 home slate would feature Penn State and defending champion Union, in addition to the Hockey East opponents and the Icebreaker in Portland.
                That schedule would be a massive improvement over last year. The one thing I hope is Maine gets a better B10 opponent than Penn St. Are you sure Maine is at Union instead of the other way around?
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  The one thing I hope is Maine gets a better B10 opponent than Penn St.
                  Why would you want that? Opponents' Opponents' records are more important than Opp record. So it's ideal to play a struggling team in a good conference (unless I don't understand how this all works).
                  Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    You are not correct, but close on the Maine @ BU game

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                    Why would you want that? Opponents' Opponents' records are more important than Opp record. So it's ideal to play a struggling team in a good conference (unless I don't understand how this all works).
                    You don't understand how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      I didn't want to break the bad news to him.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

You are not correct, but close on the Maine @ BU game
                        I don't suppose you want to clarify that statement...

Comment

Can you elaborate? It stands to help your RPI by improving your record and that of opponents' opponents (yes, at the expense of your opponent's record), as well as helping comparisons of record against common opponents and head to head.
                          Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            I don't suppose you want to clarify that statement...
                            yeah, doesn't it kinda suck when you put some thought and effort into a post and have someone just come back with "nuhh uhhnh"...

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                              Can you elaborate? It stands to help your RPI by improving your record and that of opponents' opponents (yes, at the expense of your opponent's record), as well as helping comparisons of record against common opponents and head to head.
                              The majority of opponent's record for 2 teams in the conference is the same, while their own record can be wildly different. Using your B1G example Minn's record was .5206 better than PSU's last yearwhile PSU's opponent's record was only .0297 higher than Minn's. Even at uneven weights it is much better to play good teams than play bad teams that play lots of good teams.

Comment

The majority of opponent's record for 2 teams in the conference is the same, while their own record can be wildly different. Using your B1G example Minn's record was .5206 better than PSU's last yearwhile PSU's opponent's record was only .0297 higher than Minn's. Even at uneven weights it is much better to play good teams than play bad teams that play lots of good teams.
                                I assume this depends somewhat on who you can beat...

Comment

Working...
                                X