Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I thought Starrett wasn't coming? Am I misremembering?
    Starrett's twitter says BU 2019 so that would mean he would be coming in next fall
    GO BU

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      I'm not sure I agree with you here. As I mentioned previously, I didn't always see eye to eye with Mike when it came to some issues with my sport, but I also think he did some good things while he was here. I don't think you can lay the blame for the bad headlines at his feet.

As far as the half full Agganis Arena, I don't think there is much mystery there. Win some more games and lower ticket / concession / parking prices and there will be more fans in the stands. Does not take an AD from Michigan or FSU to figure that one out.
      What exactly was he getting paid for then? If getting the hockey team under control and filling up the arena aren't his job duties, I'm not sure what he was doing all day. I'm not saying the guy was an idiot or anything, but I don't like what's been happening the last several years and cleaning house + better management seems to be a good strategy here.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        What exactly was he getting paid for then? If getting the hockey team under control and filling up the arena aren't his job duties, I'm not sure what he was doing all day. I'm not saying the guy was an idiot or anything, but I don't like what's been happening the last several years and cleaning house + better management seems to be a good strategy here.
        Fundraising to renovate/build numerous new athletic facilities.
        Move the athletic department to a better and more stable conference.

I worry if a mid-major like BU will be able to get as good a guy who will be willing to stay and build the department for years like he did and not use it as a stepping stone to land the first slightly better job he/she is offered.

I don't think keeping teams "under control" or promoting attendance are his job; however, it is his job to upgrade the people doing those jobs if they are unable to perform.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          Fundraising to renovate/build numerous new athletic facilities.
          Move the athletic department to a better and more stable conference.

I worry if a mid-major like BU will be able to get as good a guy who will be willing to stay and build the department for years like he did and not use it as a stepping stone to land the first slightly better job he/she is offered.

I don't think keeping teams "under control" or promoting attendance are his job; however, it is his job to upgrade the people doing those jobs if they are unable to perform.
          Get good people in here and worry about the stepping stone issue if/when it arrives. If you set up a good department you should have quality people ready to step in if somebody leaves.

Whether its his job directly (for example, ultimately keeping the athletes under control is his job, and if a coach who is directly responsible can't do that he/she needs to go) or indirectly he hasn't performed well. Attendance at sporting events is 100% his job. Frankly its about his most important duty. If the fan experience sucks, its not the hockey/hoops/badminton coach who's responsible for that. I doubt Quinn suggested 8 dollar beers and 12 bucks to park on campus. That's Lynch's duty and he failed. Great, we've got a new lacrosse field and somebody got New Balance to pony up for it. That doesn't make up for the problems we've been having lately.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            I know a guy who has great experience in an AD role that isn't doing much lately. He's very expensive though. Make sure to save some room for the plaque in the BU HOF that he'll eventually put up for himself too.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Get good people in here and worry about the stepping stone issue if/when it arrives. If you set up a good department you should have quality people ready to step in if somebody leaves.
              Valid, but too much turnover could be harmful to long term plans.

Whether its his job directly (for example, ultimately keeping the athletes under control is his job, and if a coach who is directly responsible can't do that he/she needs to go) or indirectly he hasn't performed well.
              Judging his performance for something of this nature is more about his response than that it happened in the first place, unless there were obvious warning signs he missed, but no one (not even Hoky!) predicted incidents were about to occur. Players lost priviledges midseason and a succession plan including the coach retiring at the end of the following season was created and kept private. If that was unsatisfactory what would you propose he do differently? I'm sure you can come up with something else but there is no plan that would be universally approved, such is life.

Attendance at sporting events is 100% his job. Frankly its about his most important duty. If the fan experience sucks, its not the hockey/hoops/badminton coach who's responsible for that. I doubt Quinn suggested 8 dollar beers and 12 bucks to park on campus. That's Lynch's duty and he failed. Great, we've got a new lacrosse field and somebody got New Balance to pony up for it. That doesn't make up for the problems we've been having lately.
              There are other employees in the department besides the AD and coaching staffs. Including 8 in the "Marketing" department directory and another 15 on the HAA directory. Much like an AD is ultimately responsible for winning but the day to day events that lead to such results are carried out by coaches, so is the success of other areas of the department. It is also entirely possible his/their goal was to maximize revenue not butts in seats and that the practices you hate did just that.

New Balance field is just the most recent project, there were many others over the past decade, including a $90+m hockey rink.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              I know a guy who has great experience in an AD role that isn't doing much lately. He's very expensive though. Make sure to save some room for the plaque in the BU HOF that he'll eventually put up for himself too.
              With such an impressive resume I'm worried dozens of other schools will want him in short order

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                My guess is that he's still basking the in the glow of BC's recent success in the NCAA's two major intercollegiate sports.

if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Rover right (gasp). News that gets headlines was the scandals. He's the AD. Whether he was "non power" AD doesn't matter. If the role now requires that, his being here for a decade happy to be second fiddle says volumes.
                  Thanks and good luck.
                  Next
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    From twitter

"Some serious comp in net at BU. Hearing from BCHL that Connor LaCouvee '94 (Alberni) headed this fall. Already Maguire, O'Connor, & Starrett"
                    And Moccia? 4 goalies? And 4 next year assuming Sarrett next year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post

I had a martini!!!
                      USA Hockey's "Everything is wonderful because we say it's so"
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I have no inside info whatsoever, but if there really is another guy coming this fall that is more than an emergency back-up, and given the "cuts" that took place, the I would think there is either another cut coming, or DQ is sure that one of the two veretans is not likely to be here in 2015-16. BU has had rosters with three legit goalies in the past (Cashman, Herlofsky/McKersie; Herlofsky/McKersie/Noble), but I don't think they carried a 4th in those years.
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          I have no inside info whatsoever, but if there really is another guy coming this fall that is more than an emergency back-up, and given the "cuts" that took place, the I would think there is either another cut coming, or DQ is sure that one of the two veretans is not likely to be here in 2015-16. BU has had rosters with three legit goalies in the past (Cashman, Herlofsky/McKersie; Herlofsky/McKersie/Noble), but I don't think they carried a 4th in those years.
                          Moccia's freshman year he was technically the 4th string practice goalie behind Millan, Rollheiser, and Kraus. He was not listed on the roster and never dressed but was a member of the team. PC had 4 goalies listed on their roster one year recently as well.

Comment

lynch prolly got let go because someone realized we have THREE exhibitions this year!!!!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              lynch prolly got let go because someone realized we have THREE exhibitions this year!!!!
                              Not sure who, but it was making the rounds on twitter that we didn't schedule the u18 team until we found there were no D1 teams available that weekend. Kind of a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                and you guys have to shell out $26+ for each

HAHA!

Comment

Working...
                                X