X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
    That is exactly the problem....for the third time in the Eaves era, we find ourselves coming up on a punt year where we have had a huge turnover and will be a horrifically young team. No one questions whether Eaves and Co have managed to churn quality talent through Madison. The arguements have been that it is more NHL developmental talent then winning at the college level (I don't necessarily buy that as to win at any level you need guys talented enough to play at the next level) and that there always seems to be one or two short on most years rosters of the type of talent that puts the puck in the net. I'm excited to see some of the committed kids (and maybe add a Fabro and Khodorenko too...since we've at the least had them visit so there is some level of mutual interest) in the next year or two, but really wish Eaves could get a handle on the roster balance so we don't have the bubble working through the program every 4 years where we go from feast to famine in terms of experience (and the side effect of results that go along with that).
    Eaves made some recruiting mistakes early as he struggled to learn how to manage recruiting (which is expected by a staff with little NCAA experience), but one has to remember that he wasn't given perfectly balanced and well stocked classes by the outgoing coaching staff. Eaves wasn't given a well-oiled machine and messed it up, but I'm not sure that he understood how monumental the task is to correctly balance the need to win NOW with long term stability of the program within the unique restraints that are NCAA eligibility and recruiting rules.

Comment

That is exactly the problem....for the third time in the Eaves era, we find ourselves coming up on a punt year where we have had a huge turnover and will be a horrifically young team. No one questions whether Eaves and Co have managed to churn quality talent through Madison. The arguements have been that it is more NHL developmental talent then winning at the college level (I don't necessarily buy that as to win at any level you need guys talented enough to play at the next level) and that there always seems to be one or two short on most years rosters of the type of talent that puts the puck in the net. I'm excited to see some of the committed kids (and maybe add a Fabro and Khodorenko too...since we've at the least had them visit so there is some level of mutual interest) in the next year or two, but really wish Eaves could get a handle on the roster balance so we don't have the bubble working through the program every 4 years where we go from feast to famine in terms of experience (and the side effect of results that go along with that).
      This...great post Mark.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

And looking at the stat lines of some of the kids coming in, they appear to be more playmaker than goal scorer for the high end kids. Not a bad thing to have, but for how excited I was for Mark Zengerle, after 4 years in Madison he still gave up great opportunities to shoot and choose to pass instead. I am hoping that Jedd Soleway is just waiting to score 40 goals next season to fill the goal deficiet which left Madison.

I am optimisstic about next season. Yeah they might suck, but the goaltending will be good, the recruiting class is looking very nice, and I don't have to watch Frankie Simonelli suck bag on the ice anymore. Haven't disliked a Badger that much since Klubertanz was allowing short handed goals left and right back in 07-08.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Honestly? Chase Drake is that guy for me. I consistently thought he was the worst skater on the ice throughout the B1G tourney and through the NoDak game.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I've thought about roster balance lately and I just don't see an easy fix. Some guys you can pencil in leaving early, other guys you can't, some guys might stay a year longer than you thought they would. Other than forcing people off the roster who don't develop to make room for talent Fr or have some guys redshirt, it's almost unfixable. And once you get it balanced, if 3 guys leave early one year who you didn't plan on, you are back to being unbalanced. It does mean a ton that UW has the 2nd most guys playing in the nhl, Eaves has a good set of eyes for talent, but that also means constant fluctuation in the recruiting classes. Jerry York obviously has this thing down to a science, Lucia has a good handle on this, but other teams are also "struggling", UM has been on a downer lately and UND has been weaker the last few years but had kinda lucky/good run this year. I'd love to hear What Eaves has to say about the uneven classes and if it even bothers him.

It's kind of disappointing in a way to see the roster grid full for the next 3 years and watch some talented late bloomers who would be very productive 4 year college guys go elsewhere.

I won't feel really positive about next year until we know Hughes is coming in early, though I like the class quite a bit.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
              I am hoping that Jedd Soleway is just waiting to score 40 goals next season to fill the goal deficiet which left Madison.
              His one goal this year makes him look poised to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                Another person who needs "sarcasm" added to specific sentences?

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  Honestly? Chase Drake is that guy for me. I consistently thought he was the worst skater on the ice throughout the B1G tourney and through the NoDak game.
                  The difference is, to me, that Drake was billed as the 6th dman, so our expectations for him were lower, or at least mine were. Frankie was the captain, and a senior, and to me didn't so **** most of the season. The blue line is general was very weak, and hopefully the next crop is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                    Another person who needs "sarcasm" added to specific sentences?
                    It gets confusing because half of you are overly positive and half are realists. I don't keep track of the camp members.

Comment

It gets confusing because half of you are overly positive and half are realists. I don't keep track of the camp members.
                      Keep in mind that we don't server your kind here.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Since it was the last game does that mean he's on a goal scoring streak.

Comment

Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
                          Since it was the last game does that mean he's on a goal scoring streak.
                          Don't feed the clowns, I mean trolls.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I was actually thinking last night that one thread for the "positive folks" and one thread for the "realists" as you describe them would be nice!

A couple of thoughts/questions....

I'm assuming Davison gets a redshirt for last season?

Is Tischke coming in next year for the 8th D spot? If so, I'd assume they'll try to redshirt him?

I really like the way the classes, particularly the forwards, are laid out for the future. Several top end recruits each year with the possibility of adding some late bloomers as time goes on.

Comment

That is fair. I am far more realist than overly positive. That realism has led me to pay attention a lot less than when I was more positive.

I should add, if you want to see a whole different group go over to the Buckyville message board. Not realists or overly positive.
                              Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                                I was actually thinking last night that one thread for the "positive folks" and one thread for the "realists" as you describe them would be nice!

A couple of thoughts/questions....

I'm assuming Davison gets a redshirt for last season?

Is Tischke coming in next year for the 8th D spot? If so, I'd assume they'll try to redshirt him?

I really like the way the classes, particularly the forwards, are laid out for the future. Several top end recruits each year with the possibility of adding some late bloomers as time goes on.
                                I will just stop by daily and tag all posts.

Your post my friend falls under realism.

Comment

Working...
                                X