X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by Almington View Post
    Looking at that, I don't see how next season can not be anything except a complete disaster.
    Also, remember we have two freshman goalies coming in.

Goals for next year:
    Drive for five(wins)
    Score 60 goals in a season

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      There's room for Auston Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk, and Caleb Jones off the NTDP all to become Badgers. Of course there's room for Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux to be assistants too.
      Ha!
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Maybe Hurley switches back to F and/or maybe Berkovitz is pushed back a year. Depends a lot on what Eaves can come up with to fill the three spots. There's room for Auston Matthews, Matthew Tkachuk, and Caleb Jones off the NTDP all to become Badgers. Of course there's room for Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux to be assistants too.
        At this point I think Eaves would have to get Matthews, Tkachuk (and why wouldn't he go to BU to follow in his father's footsteps?), Jones, Fabbro and Jost for next season in order to save his job. I just don't get the point of retaining him for what is sure to be a miserable campaign.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          At this point I think Eaves would have to get Matthews, Tkachuk (and why wouldn't he go to BU to follow in his father's footsteps?), Jones, Fabbro and Jost for next season in order to save his job. I just don't get the point of retaining him for what is sure to be a miserable campaign.
          Jost just turned 17 last month and Fabbro is still 16....both are '98 birth year kids and not an option for this fall. Matthews/Tkachuk/Jones trio would be the miracle Eaves needs to pull off at this point....good luck with that. On Tkachuck....Eaves kids, Lucia's kid, and Nanne's grandkids all went different roads then their legacy may have suggested. Maybe all 3 love Granato and somehow hire him to be the associate head coach/lead assistant?

Otherwise you are looking for late bloomers or trying to talk Ivy league commits that don't do LOI's into decommiting.
          Last edited by markwojo; 04-11-2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            you are 1000% correct that is embarrassing. It's part of why I'm so mystified Alvarez didn't have the brains (or stones) to fire Eaves. At this point I think UW is looking at a 10 wins or less season and that should be grounds for dismissal. At what point does the damage to this program become so great that Coaches won't want to come here? Seriously, fire Eaves now or after next season and BA would have to find a Coach who would have about 2-3 years of Eaves recruits still coming in. Not good.
            Eaves (and staff) has never had a problem landing the top end can't miss prospects, it's the lower end forwards that the staff has been terrible at recruiting/developing.

Comment

Eaves (and staff) has never had a problem landing the top end can't miss prospects, it's the lower end forwards that the staff has been terrible at recruiting/developing.
              That used to be true, however Dvorak and Boeser forgoing UW, no-one on the frosh class being elite, no-one of next year's frosh class being elite etc (people are suddenly talking about Kunin and I think that's because Boeser is gone). That line-up below tells the tale really. The dearth of talent is 80% of Eaves' undoing.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

That used to be true, however Dvorak and Boeser forgoing UW, no-one on the frosh class being elite, no-one of next year's frosh class being elite etc (people are suddenly talking about Kunin and I think that's because Boeser is gone). That line-up below tells the tale really. The dearth of talent is 80% of Eaves' undoing.
                It could be argued that Frederic and Malone are elite. Or pretty close.

Comment

The problem is that Eaves is throwing three 4th lines out, the team doesn't have any depth to compliment the top end players.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                    It could be argued that Frederic and Malone are elite. Or pretty close.
                    You may be right, and Almington as well, my pessimism is in full on rage mode right now.

Comment

you are 1000% correct that is embarrassing. It's part of why I'm so mystified Alvarez didn't have the brains (or stones) to fire Eaves. At this point I think UW is looking at a 10 wins or less season and that should be grounds for dismissal. At what point does the damage to this program become so great that Coaches won't want to come here? Seriously, fire Eaves now or after next season and BA would have to find a Coach who would have about 2-3 years of Eaves recruits still coming in. Not good.
                      While the recruit issue may be valid, I can't see a realistic scenario where this would not be a premier coaching opportunity. As a matter of fact, the perceived hands-off approach of Alvarez/King may actually be a positive. Multiple teams within the athletic department are legitimate national title contenders (men's basketball, women's hockey, volleyball) that have thrived with what I'm guessing is limited direct involvment from their respective athletic directors. Wisconsin offers a strong combination of great facilities, great tradition and a sizeable fan base hungry for a consistent winner. Throw in a relatively fat paycheck and living in Madison, what's not to like as a head coaching candidate?

Comment

You know, given the dairy scene on campus, someone with a name like "Babcock" would be a great fit. I bring this up because I think I remember hearing abou some coach, Matt or Mike or something, with that surname. Is he any good? I figure he'd love it here, considering his last name is all over cheese and premium ice cream.

Comment

You may be right, and Almington as well, my pessimism is in full on rage mode right now.
                          Don't get me wrong, while there are some good quality players, the sum of parts on that rosters is just terrible.

That's the issue, Eaves lands 2 or 3 of the top forwards every season, but they only stay for 2 or 3 seasons, which means you have 4 or 5 of them at any one time, when the other 10 forwards are interchangeable replacement level parts the team is going to struggle.

The elite players are easy to find, the real talent in scouting is finding the hidden gems and late bloomers. To be successful you either have to be able to close the deal with the top players or have an eye for talent.

When the staff has neither, you have 4 win seasons, when you have both you can build a dynasty.

Comment

Tyler Inamoto was selected in the 6th round of the OHL Draft today by Kitchener. Not outstanding news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                              Tyler Inamoto was selected in the 6th round of the OHL Draft today by Kitchener. Not outstanding news.
                              Not a surprise. Kitchener will now throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to sign. It's what they do.

Comment

Not a surprise. Kitchener will now throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to sign. It's what they do.
                                Had a bad feeling one of the big money teams was going to end up taking him today. Badgers are still the favorite, but Eaves and the future staff needs to continue to recruit him like he's uncommitted. I'd say it's 65/35 he ends up in Madison. Good news is he's committed to the NTDP. That clears a big hurdle, but there's a lot of work left.

Comment

Working...
                                X