Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by GBBadger14 View Post
    FWIW, their was a rule for the Final Five in previous years that the Goofs always got the late games. Therefore, I would assume that they would keep that rule for the Big Ten.
    I was thinking the same thing. If the #1 seed gets the choice even, I can't imagine the gophers passing up the 7 PM game knowing they can fill a huge portion of that arena in primetime. The 2 PM will be like watching a women's hockey game at the Kohl Center on a friday in October (maybe that is an exaggreation).
    Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
    Originally posted by UWisco
    It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Headed up the morning of the 21st. Not sure if I should have some confidence and buy tickets for the 2pm game. Or just get them when I get up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
        I was thinking the same thing. If the #1 seed gets the choice even, I can't imagine the gophers passing up the 7 PM game knowing they can fill a huge portion of that arena in primetime. The 2 PM will be like watching a women's hockey game at the Kohl Center on a friday in October (maybe that is an exaggreation).
        Despite what Eaves said about getting thrown off mentally by the small crowd at OSU on Friday night a couple weeks ago, I'd pick the early start if you have a bye, and take the primetime stuff on Saturday if Friday goes well. But hey, it's not up to me, and it's up to the Gophers, so whatever floats their boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Madtown View Post
          Headed up the morning of the 21st. Not sure if I should have some confidence and buy tickets for the 2pm game. Or just get them when I get up there.
          It's not like it's going to be a sell out. If you're getting ONLY Wisconsin tickets, just wait until the games are decided.

Comment

On Monday, I'll be taking part in the Student Season Ticket Holder Summit, where they'll discuss things like gameday atmosphere, ticket process and procedures, and upcoming events.

While this is largely student-focused, I don't have a problem with bringing up things that you older fans want discussed. Also, I've read plenty of older fans talk about how the student section has changed for the worse. If anything sticks out, tell me now, so I can have these ideas fresh in my mind. I've pretty much been in agreement with what I've read on this board so far. I signed up to go to this thing to help improve the Wisconsin Hockey experience, but I know I'll forget some things.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
              On Monday, I'll be taking part in the Student Season Ticket Holder Summit, where they'll discuss things like gameday atmosphere, ticket process and procedures, and upcoming events.

While this is largely student-focused, I don't have a problem with bringing up things that you older fans want discussed. Also, I've read plenty of older fans talk about how the student section has changed for the worse. If anything sticks out, tell me now, so I can have these ideas fresh in my mind. I've pretty much been in agreement with what I've read on this board so far. I signed up to go to this thing to help improve the Wisconsin Hockey experience, but I know I'll forget some things.
              Let the band play more or less "canned music" as EoDS would say and bring back Enter Sandman

Otherwise, from the games I have been to this year, you guys in the student section seem to be doing your job returning the CC back to what it should be. I think you "get it" DC. Just take on an understudy before your graduate!

Also, less "D-I-C-K" after every cheer. I know its not you but....get off my lawn.
              In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
              I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I think the student section is doing a great job.

I also believe that there is noticeably less canned music and bull**** on the big screens this season, probably after they got our feedback after last season.

Keep the giant American flag for the anthem. Love it!

Also, Enter Sandman has been being used at the start of the 3rd lately, which I like.

My biggest suggestion would be for the department to find a way to get more students to show up.

The swearing doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm far from puritanical. People should remove the sticks from their butts.

Comment

The "it's all your fault, SIEVE!" part of the sieve cheer seems to have an echo amongst the non-student crowd cause the people don't count out the beats. But I only went to one game this year (PSU Saturday) so it might not be a huge problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    I think the student section is doing a great job.

I also believe that there is noticeably less canned music and bull**** on the big screens this season, probably after they got our feedback after last season.

Keep the giant American flag for the anthem. Love it!

Also, Enter Sandman has been being used at the start of the 3rd lately, which I like.

My biggest suggestion would be for the department to find a way to get more students to show up.

The swearing doesn't bother me in the least, but I'm far from puritanical. People should remove the sticks from their butts.
                    I prefer creativity over crudeness and just adding d*ck to the end of each chant is rather pathetic coming from all these "bright" minds at UW. I think they can do way better than that.

I would like to see them get someone far less annoying and loud, to do all the talking during tv timeouts. The current guy is HORRIBLE! If you are going to add some arena microphone person who goes around during timeouts and intermissions, at least have them be good at what they do. Hire the girl from Green Bay Gamblers (if she is still there). He reminds me of Brett Bielema, and that triples my annoyance.
                    Last edited by Gandalf the Red; 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                      I prefer creativity over crudeness and just adding d*ck to the end of each chant is rather pathetic coming from all these "bright" minds at UW. I think they can do way better than that.

My point was that it doesn't bother me. I just tune it out.

Would it be nice if they came up with something more creative? Sure.

The tone of some of the season ticket holder surveys that I was sent in the past few years has often centered around student section vulgarity/behavior and whether it bothers me. I have always answered that it doesn't because the way the questions were worded made it apparent that there was bias against the students probably as a result of a few loud complainers.

I believe this is why we ended up with more canned music and video board crap as the AD bent over backwards to appease the complainers.

Don't forget Baggot's idiotic take that "Jump Around" should be stopped if student profanity doesn't cease.

I've been taking my kids to games since they were born and when they were old enough to ask what the students were saying, I stepped up and acted as a parent should and explained what they were saying, that college kids will do that (and worse) and that it's not appropriate for a 5 year old to say such things and I better not hear it.

If student profanity is on anyone's top ten list of reasons they don't want to attend a Badger game then those individuals should just stock up the bunker and stay home... it's NOT SAFE OUT HERE!

Comment

I'd disagree that there is less canned music this year. As far as I'm concerned, there should be NO canned music, pretty much at all, but especially during intermissions. The number of times music is played over the band is appalling.

Now they've added these little games with name the price, etc and it feels like the band has been wedged into the tiniest of windows.

So I guess my complaint would boil down to stop trying to be like other events. I expect the games and guess the attendance and fan "entertainment" stuff at Admirals games (or wherever) but I love that I get a totally unique experience at Badger hockey. And that has been the thing I've always "sold" people on when I've convinced them to come. I dislike that they continue to move away from that. The band and the dancing and the cheers are what makes the Badger experience fun and unique and special and as they continue to add all these other little moments with the host and the games, they are making their game the exact same as the AHL/USHL/NBA etc ... and losing the thing that made them distinct.
                        (edit for spelling)
                        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

My totally random thoughts:

More band, less canned music.

Enter sandman or better opening sequence similar to last years.

Student cheers and cussing my opinion: I can take most of it but the f u sieve on goals, and give me a f - i s t and c o n d o m. childish, I would just rather have more "lets go red cheers".

Bring back goalie, sieve, gopher on a stick....

Still too much quiet time in the student section. I expect you guys to get the crowd going again in the down times.

Also I like the little hockey guys on the board that tell you to get loud and scream. Crowd seems to like these too.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            My point was that it doesn't bother me. I just tune it out.

Would it be nice if they came up with something more creative? Sure.

The tone of some of the season ticket holder surveys that I was sent in the past few years has often centered around student section vulgarity/behavior and whether it bothers me. I have always answered that it doesn't because the way the questions were worded made it apparent that there was bias against the students probably as a result of a few loud complainers.

I believe this is why we ended up with more canned music and video board crap as the AD bent over backwards to appease the complainers.

Don't forget Baggot's idiotic take that "Jump Around" should be stopped if student profanity doesn't cease.

I've been taking my kids to games since they were born and when they were old enough to ask what the students were saying, I stepped up and acted as a parent should and explained what they were saying, that college kids will do that (and worse) and that it's not appropriate for a 5 year old to say such things and I better not hear it.

If student profanity is on anyone's top ten list of reasons they don't want to attend a Badger game then those individuals should just stock up the bunker and stay home... it's NOT SAFE OUT HERE!
                            Holy sh*t a parent who actually takes responsibility...you my friend are (sadly) a dying breed. I think a large part of the complainers are people who think their child will never/should never be exposed to such vulgar langauge and behavior. Better that you explain things and set the tone for your own children about what is going on. The bunker you speak of is no way to go through life.

I agree w/ your thoughts, I largely ignore the student section after the initial phrase of a chant is said.

It is not like this is a UW student section problem. While not as bad, LSU students have some colorful cheers for opposing teams in the SEC.

Comment

Overall I liked the atmoshpere at the game I went to. The biggest thing is a 100% ditching the canned music, except for "Enter Sandman". The band is there for a reason. Here's a cool idea....the band should play "Enter Sandman". That could be awesome if done right.

Swearing....I wish there was less swearing coming from the students. My kids know what is acceptable and not acceptable, but as a parent the less I let that stuff leak into our lives, the less susceptable we are to getting into bad habits.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Here's a cool idea....the band should play "Enter Sandman". That could be awesome if done right.
                                That would be extremely difficult, especially if they want to capture the crisp sounds of that first guitar. I mean, it took me forever to recognize that they were playing "Pinball Wizard," because it sounds so different if you don't know exactly what to listen for.

Comment

Working...
                                X