Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    During that downswing, more than a few were calling for Lucia's head too, iirc.

In that case, cooler heads prevailed and the right choice was obviously made.

In our case, the heads aren't cooler, they just don't seem to care or notice.
    Nothing is going to suppress attendance even more like another poor start to the season. Sadly, that's about the ONLY thing that will get the attention of the decision makers in the athletic department that a change needs to be made.

All of Eaves teams since the NC have suffered from a lack of scoring depth. The top end talent has been on par with any other team, but few have had a consistant 2nd line that is a regular threat to score. The third lines have been mostly haphazard grouping that will be lucky to score 20 pts combined over the season.

Unless that 1st line is truely elite (as NHL ready) , most NCAA teams are going to be able to focus all of their efforts on shutting that line down and be reasonably effective at it (particularly when they have the last change at home).

I also feel that other teams don't always have to have the next set of freshmen being the offensive saviors as seems to always be the case with UW.

This is the type of season where some bad puck bounces and injuries can send it into a ugly tailspin quick.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      People do tend to forget Lucia has a pretty serious health issue for a decent chunk of that down time.

Not to mention, they had to remove a tumor named John Hill.
      Very true. I think the point is that there are a number of factors that can lead to a program struggling to maintain success, and the "top" programs aren't immune from those factors.

I will say that as an outside observer it may be time for a coaching change in Madison. I've made it no secret that Eaves is one of my least favorite coaches, so folks of course should take that with a grain of salt.
      But as a Gopher fan, when Gwozdecky was let go by DU, my fear was that he would move to Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
        People do tend to forget Lucia has a pretty serious health issue for a decent chunk of that down time.

Not to mention, they had to remove a tumor named John Hill.

I wasn't saying that the fans were wrong or that Lucia was at fault - and I do remember his health issues. Just saying that the right decision was ultimately made.

In our case, the wrong (and opposite) decision has been made (several times over) - to me it seems out of apathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          But as a Gopher fan, when Gwozdecky was let go by DU, my fear was that he would move to Madison.
          Funny as that was many of our's hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            I still think they would be smart to try to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              I still think they would be smart to try to make it happen.

Would be difficult now. Eaves was extended to 2019 this past off season.

Comment

I don't doubt that Eaves is a good guy - sure seems like it.

I don't doubt that he understands hockey.

I don't doubt that he can recruit for and get players ready for the NHL.

What's abundantly clear though is that he has no idea whatsoever as to how to run a D-1 hockey program.

This is the start of his third - not his first - downturn since he arrived here.

With the infrastructure that he has here (facilities, world class university, tradition, nice city, BTN exposure, etc, etc...), this is laughably inexcusable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I understand the notion, but don't you find it curious that no other D1 hockey program has taken a run at him?

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                    I understand the notion, but don't you find it curious that no other D1 hockey program has taken a run at him?

Yes and no.

He's working for the Lightning and presumably living in the Tampa area. Maybe he's content and this is a happy medium between still working and retirement.

Maybe he's been there, done that with college hockey at this point.

He did say that the Wisconsin ship had sailed and that he wasn't interested in this job in particular.

Not sure I'd still want him as it'd be a temporary fix as he's no longer a young guy.

Comment

Wow, you guys are chatty tonight. I didn't read everything, but let me be the "glass half full guy". Did you hear Mr. Posick say that the last time the Badger's started 10 freshmen? That was when Burish, et al were freshmen. What happened 3ish years later?

I do agree that the MN, MI, ND, BC, etc don't seem to have the freshmen issue, and it does blow. But what did we expect? Ok, I am going to pass out now...hopefully we will kick *** tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        This is the start of his third - not his first - downturn since he arrived here.
                        If I was going to criticize Eaves, it would not be for this years' performance...but rather last years'.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

McDonald of Air Force got creamed by Tyler Morley of UA_, right at the end of the second period. Morley hit him up high and he flew head first into the boards. NO CALL. If Cameron gets a 1 game suspension for his hit last weekend, the same should be handed out to Morley. That was brutal.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            If I was going to criticize Eaves, it would not be for this years' performance...but rather last years'.
                            Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                              UAH had him out to their campus, remember? Shocking he didn't take the job, eh?
                              I'd also be pretty shocked if no other program has contacted him at some point. Just because nothing was public doesn't mean no one reached out to him. But it seems clear to me that he isn't (and never was) going to take a college job unless it's a "big time" school. WI seemed like a pretty good fit in that regard, but obviously that is from the outside looking in. So I don't intend to imply that it is a real possibility.

Dang, I forgot about Eaves' contract extension. Good news for the rest of the Big10
                              Although I could go without having to watch one of his tantrums ever again

And on that note, I'm out!
                              Sorry to have infested your thread.
                              Until next time...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                                So you counter complaining by stopping by this thread and complaining about complaining?

Alaska must be a wonderful place.
                                Don't let the UAA fans make up your mind on Alaska and leave a sour taste in your mouth. Certain parts of Alaska are amazing and the majority of people are fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                                X