Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
    I see a lot of analysis of what went wrong this year. I don't think it was lack of leadership at all, I said earlier that I thought they were overrated earlier this year and I felt that same way after watching them play through the Big 6 tourney and the NCAA's. If you look at this year's schedule, we played on;y two teams who went to the NCAA's and our record against them was 2-3. Other than the two win's against Minnesota and maybe the wins vs Michigan, we played mostly second tier teams this year as even Miami and CC were really bad this season. Yes we won the the league tourney, but Penn State and Ohio State did all the heavy lifting by beating Minnesota and Michigan. We showed up with just average efforts in both games and were lucky to win the title. We showed up at the NCAA and played the same level of game as we did in the league tourney and got our *****es handed to us. Now that the season has ended, my conclusion stays the same....average team who's superstars did not have the broad enough shoulders to carry the rest of the team to the frozen 4.
    Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    I've said as much over the past 2 years that the team was not as good as some here were indicating. I wasn't saying it out of malice or anything other than the desire to see the best out of UW Hockey annually, and it hasn't been happening (the pieces have not been there, there have been some pieces but not enough lately). This was greeted w/derision by a few but I stand by that notion. The team was good, not great. They were about 3 guys short of being a great team imo.

Where I disagree with you however is leadership. Take any forward not named Kerdiles or Zengerle off this team and replace him w/a Burish or a Rohlik and I think they go further and outpace where they probably should have been. The difference then (my .02) is in the guys they're missing that would put them over the top.
    If the team is average then this lies solely on the coaching staff. Whatever the reason, the team is continually performing below my high expectations of NCAA playoff's every year and frozen four runs more than once every 5-6 years. I can live with a down year here and there, but seems like there are many more down years than up years. Maybe my expectations are too high, but with UW's resources they should be there every year.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      If the team is average then this lies solely on the coaching staff. Whatever the reason, the team is continually performing below my high expectations of NCAA playoff's every year and frozen four runs more than once every 5-6 years. I can live with a down year here and there, but seems like there are many more down years than up years. Maybe my expectations are too high, but with UW's resources they should be there every year.
      I hear ya. Your expectations seem pretty normal to me and it should be expected that us fans hold those opinions. There should be the highest of expectations from the UW Hockey team annually and the resultant pressure when you don't meet them as coaches. UW Hockey should be treated like Alabama/Texas/Notre Dame football, Kentucky/Kansas Roundball etc. Winning is it.

That said, I don't think year's team was average. Average d-core? Yeah, probably (with a couple of exceptions)...but as a team overall they were good. Just not good enough.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Not definitive, but expected and coming from a fairly reputable source.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcK...05922467655681
        Now it's definitive...http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...7c98ec931.html
        Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
        Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
        sigpic
        Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
        1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

McCabe signing with Buffalo doesn't surprise me. They need all the help they can get. Kerdiles on the other hand I just have a feeling might stay. Although I could be wrong and he could sign tomorrow. We should know in the next week(s) what he'll do.
          WISCONSIN BADGERS
          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
            McCabe signing with Buffalo doesn't surprise me. They need all the help they can get. Kerdiles on the other hand I just have a feeling might stay. Although I could be wrong and he could sign tomorrow. We should know in the next week(s) what he'll do.
            Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either way on this one.

Which is probably my optimistic way of looking at his impending departure, by my luck...
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Kerdiles takes a while to decide.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                Definitely a possibility.
                WISCONSIN BADGERS
                WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  does anyone think his injury this season could also play into his decision to turn pro?????

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                    does anyone think his injury this season could also play into his decision to turn pro?????
                    Not only do I think the injury will come into play on his decision, I wonder if that NCAA crap he went through last year left a bad taste; maybe that's totally out of his system.

What if he rips his ACL next year if he stays? THIS is the year they could have won it all. That chance will not be there next year. I'm just trying to think like a 20 year old super-talented hockey player who can make a minimum of $925,000 or go to school one more year and take a chance on a major injury.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Not only do I think the injury will come into play on his decision, I wonder if that NCAA crap he went through last year left a bad taste; maybe that's totally out of his system.

What if he rips his ACL next year if he stays? THIS is the year they could have won it all. That chance will not be there next year. I'm just trying to think like a 20 year old super-talented hockey player who can make a minimum of $925,000 or go to school one more year and take a chance on a major injury.
                      Both are a factor. But, in my opinion the fact he still hasn't played a full year because the injuries and NCAA stuff plays into the decision that he stays.
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Don't get your hopes up.

Comment

Ya I don't think no full seasons has hurt how dominant he is at this level...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                            Don't get your hopes up.
                            I've got to imagine that he's having a serious discussion or two in the coming weeks.

We always figured he would most likely be a two year guy. Or at least I did.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm not sure there is any hurry from Kerdelies end. It is my understanding that in order to burn a year of service time to get to your second contract, you have to play a minimim of 10 games. At this point of the season, there are fewer then 10 games left so signing at this point has no significant advantages (other then earning a pro paycheck or being able to jump into an AHL playoff situation).

Comment

• Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                                I'm not sure there is any hurry from Kerdelies end. It is my understanding that in order to burn a year of service time to get to your second contract, you have to play a minimim of 10 games. At this point of the season, there are fewer then 10 games left so signing at this point has no significant advantages (other then earning a pro paycheck or being able to jump into an AHL playoff situation).
                                Not true. You're referring to major junior rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X