Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

And the differences between Minny and us start behind the bench.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      As I've stated before - only because it's obviously true - Minnesota's frosh usually contribute right away.
      Very true, the same is true for BC's frosh, Nodak's frosh (generally) and Michigan and on down the line with the great programs.

I mean I think we're belaboring points we've made ad nauseum over the past several seasons but I just wonder what the hell is going on in Madison. I want to see a team that strikes fear into their opponents. Skates like the wind and can score 4-5 goals a game or play rough and tumble and win depending on the situation...In other words pretty much like the teams from Badger Bob through Sauer until about 94.

The feast or famine of the past 20 years has been a huge detriment to this team.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        yep...They may still hit .500 for the season (which really shouldn't be a goal ever)... but there's something else I'm wondering...Why is it that Minnesota, BC, Nodak, Michigan etc never have these "rebuilding" years? How come they never complain "we've got too many frosh etc"?
        To be fair, MN had 3 years of mediocrity not too long ago. Michigan has been struggling the last couple years. WI seems to struggle just a little bit more, a little bit more often, but other "top" programs are not immune from this kind of thing either. And often the excuse is exactly being "too young."

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I can't argue with that. And I don't intend that to be snarky.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          I've always said Lucia is a great coach. The guy took a moribund Colorado College team and turned them into winners. With an ounce of luck they defeat Michigan and become NCAA title winners in 96. But even without that he turned a **** program into a perennial contender while he was there. AND he stole players who would have gone to Wisconsin generally (as was Gwozdecky at that time in Denver) and contributed to the downfall of Sauer...At U MN he's been what I thought he'd be, a winner through and through.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            To be fair, MN had 3 years of mediocrity not too long ago. Michigan has been struggling the last couple years. WI seems to struggle just a little bit more, a little bit more often, but other "top" programs are not immune from this kind of thing either. And often the excuse is exactly being "too young."

I can't argue with that. And I don't intend that to be snarky.
            Michigan struggling still made the NCAA tourney's w/the exception of just ONE year in the past what? 20 years? 22-23 years?

Minnesota mediocre is a world away from Wisconsin's mediocre. At Minnesota they'd still make the NCAA's generally.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              Michigan struggling still made the NCAA tourney's w/the exception of just ONE year in the past what? 20 years? 22-23 years?

Minnesota mediocre is a world away from Wisconsin's mediocre. At Minnesota they'd still make the NCAA's generally.
              Michigan has missed the past 2 haven't they? And they aren't looking very good to start this year either.
              MN missed the tournament 3 years in a row and just eked in the year preceding that stretch.
              I'm not arguing WI hasn't had a little bit steeper of a downswing a little more often, but not by an overwhelming amount.
              Last edited by Stauber1; 10-17-2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Michigan benefitted, in no small measure, by punching below its weight in the CCHA.

Yeah, Sconnie looks to be settling into a dry spell but this, too, shall pass.

Comment

During that downswing, more than a few were calling for Lucia's head too, iirc.

In that case, cooler heads prevailed and the right choice was obviously made.

In our case, the heads aren't cooler, they just don't seem to care or notice.

Comment

I think the most disappointing thing from watching tonight's game was that there never seemed to be any urgency until maybe the final 30 seconds. They were down two goals in the third period and only managed five shots on net. Are the coaches not motivating the players enough to get them going? Do they players not care enough? Are they scared?

Northern Michigan's players are on average like 20 months older than the average Wisconsin player. Even still, there was no jump whatsoever. You'd think coming off losing back-to-back games against inferior opponents last weekend you'd have a little pride and play with some fire. Apparently not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

True, concerning Lucia.

Regarding Eaves, they care enough to get whipped up, which is a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Correct Gurt, many were calling for tDons head. During part of that time though coach Lucia was battling some pretty bad health issues, which didn't help matters.

With Bucky though I'm sure this down turn will pass, I mean you guys are still landing players from MN, so how bad can it be. 😄
                        Originally posted by CavalryNate
                        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          Northern Michigan's players are on average like 20 months older than the average Wisconsin player.
                          Gophers, BC, and BU all have lower average ages this year, so I don't think too much emphasis can be placed on that. I guess what I think would be more indicative is some type of average class standing for the lineup on the ice. That's where you'd see uw at the top (or bottom) of the chart.

Comment

To turn up the optimism for a second: If there's one part of this season that we would expect the Badgers to struggle, it would be this part. But man, is this disappointing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                              Correct Gurt, many were calling for tDons head. During part of that time though coach Lucia was battling some pretty bad health issues, which didn't help matters.
                              People do tend to forget Lucia had a pretty serious health issue for a decent chunk of that down time.

Not to mention, they had to remove a tumor named John Hill.
                              Last edited by Hammy; 10-17-2014, 10:58 PM.
                              University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                                People do tend to forget Lucia has a pretty serious health issue for a decent chunk of that down time.

Not to mention, they had to remove a tumor named John Hill.
                                ....and rehire Mike Guentzel.

Comment

Working...
                                X