Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
    Absolutely no frickin way that buyout is a million dollars.
    Since his contract is a couple mill for the next couple years it probably is.
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
      Since his contract is a couple mill for the next couple years it probably is.
      No possible way. Buyout doesn't equate salary x number of years on contract. To put it into perspective Bielema's buyout was one million and he was making around 2.5 million a year with four years remaining on contract. Eaves makes what, around 250K a year? I would start with that number and go down.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
        No possible way. Buyout doesn't equate salary x number of years on contract. To put it into perspective Bielema's buyout was one million and he was making around 2.5 million a year with four years remaining on contract. Eaves makes what, around 250K a year? I would start with that number and go down.

and he was extended to 2019.

Comment

Eaves makes roughly $300k a year and how did Bielema get a buyout when he left the school.
          WISCONSIN BADGERS
          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            Can anyone who watched this weekend's games chime in on the following?

I've heard the team was undisciplined all weekend, played lazy hockey (didn't move their feet) and missed passes consistently...If true, none of those are errors attributable to "freshman" or "youth"...Those are mental and motivational problems. That's what coaches are there to prevent.

...What's the over/under on having less than 10k for both Nodak games? I simply can't believe they'll draw more than 7-8k coming in at 0-4 and not a lot of light in the tunnel
            I can't say anyone was lazy and not moving their feet, but I did not feel like there was anybody that went after the puck as hard as one of the Littles would have on a regular basis. Someone mentioned how the players are learning the system and that their positioning is based on visual keys...after thinking about that more that IS likely the major reason for players not flying around the ice at top speed and seems to make sense after having seen them play.

I usually don't weigh in on the fire Eaves rhetoric but with the way he has the recruiting set up over the next 3 years it would be absolutely stupid to fire him. I think about what Ohio State lost (in terms of recruits) by getting rid of Osiecki and UW firing Eaves could be much worse in terms of the potential for lost talent.

The other thing that always goes through my mind is that there are what, 59 Division I teams? If you win a National title more than every 59 years you are better than average in that department, right? I know, everyone always says not all 59 teams have a chance to win, but I'm not sure how many people were picking Union and Yale the last 2 years.

Is UW going to struggle this year, yes it sure looks like it. But, as others have said this class could be a fantastic foundation for the next 3 classes loaded with talent to come in and build upon.

Final thought...I thought Kevin Schulze played a good game last night and I had forgotten to mention him.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
              Eaves makes roughly $300k a year and how did Bielema get a buyout when he left the school.
              Arkansas bought out his contract. If another team buys out a coach's contract it's usually in the same ballpark as if the current school fired the coach and bought out the rest of the contract depending on how the contract was structured. I'll give you another example, Brady Hoke makes 4.1 million a year with 3 years left on his contract. His current buyout is 3 million if fired this year and 2 million if he's fired after that.

Comment

Arkansas bought out his contract. If another team buys out a coach's contract it's usually in the same ballpark as if the current school fired the coach and bought out the rest of the contract depending on how the contract was structured. I'll give you another example, Brady Hoke makes 4.1 million a year with 3 years left on his contract. His current buyout is 3 million if fired this year and 2 million if he's fired after that.
                Looks like Mr. Hoke is taking 3 million to the bank after this year.
                WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Originally posted by NEWI Badger Fan View Post
                  and he was extended to 2019.
                  Yes UW usually extends just every coach's contract every year and UW's mo is they also renegotiate buyout clauses in the process based on performance. This is a reason why you see underperforming coaches contracts extended(Lisa Stone comes immediately to mind when she was here), but their buyout will be much less after the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                    You're confusing how the buyout process works. When a coach is fired, the school has to pay a buyout. When a coach leaves, the coach has to pay a buyout. There is a negotiated buyout for each case in the contract that is signed. The coach buyout is always significantly less than what the school has to pay for a buyout, hence why Bret's buyout was only a million bucks.

According to his contract, if Eaves is fired by the university, the university has to pay him his current salary times four years, or the remaining number of years left on the deal, whichever is less. If Eaves leaves the university (for another coaching job in college or professional hockey), he agrees to pay the university his current salary times one year, or whatever is remaining on the deal, whichever is less.

So like I said, it's a big number.
                    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 10-19-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      I didn't see last night, but I did see Friday. And the two games in Alaska.

I'm not sure I'd use those exact same expressions to describe what transpired, but I suppose the results are close to the same. Eaves summed it up pretty well in his media availability last night, they didn't win enough puck battles. He was specifically talking about the power play (which is 0-18, which I didn't even know was possible), but I think it can be used for even strength as well. They're dumping the puck in the zone way more than they should, which gives up possession and eliminates scoring chances. And when they're dumping the puck in the zone, they aren't going and getting it, so the other teams are able to pick it up and transition right out of the zone. If you're going to play a crappy dump and chase system, you better dump AND chase.

I brought up the passing on Friday because I don't think I've seen a game with so many missed connections. People in the building have admitted the ice was crap all weekend, but even still, these guys are at a level where completing simple passes should be expected, not cheered for. There were a zillion turnovers on Friday, and it's been an issue in every game I've watched this year.

They also seem to be a step behind on everything that happens. It's especially noticeable on the power play. Northern was forcing hard on the PK, and Wisconsin couldn't think or move the puck fast enough to do anything about it. On Friday they rarely even found way to get the puck in the zone to set it up. Part of that is the newness of the players they're playing with, but the top power play consisted of Schulze, Zulinick, Soleway, LaBate and Dougherty. Four returning guys and a second round NHL Draft pick who played 20 games against NCAA teams last year at the NTDP. They shouldn't have a problem with the speed of the game.

And the biggest problem I have is that Navin, Besse, Soleway, LaBate and Zulinick have done little to nothing on the offensive end this season. You're going to get inconsistency from the freshmen. I think for the most part the fans realize the youth of the roster and the fact those freshmen are going to have some ups and downs. But the guys who have been here in the past, the guys who are expected to be top line players, they need to make an impact. And they haven't even come close. That's the issue for me right now.

We'll see what happens moving forward. Obviously they're not this bad. I doubt many people freaking out right now even watched the games. Believe it or not there actually is some talent on the roster, it just needs to be cultivated. How long that takes remains to be seen.

PS, for those people calling for Eaves to be fired, I understand your gripes, I really do. I don't always agree, but I understand why you're frustrated. But unless you find a donor who is going to give Barry a million bucks to buyout that contract, I'd stop wasting my time on that front.
                      thanks, that's a great overview.
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The team has scored three goals in four games with 2 shutouts. This alone is very alarming, especially against these opponents. I know there is going to be trouble scoring, but wow that is bad. I can't see them winning against Nodak. I initially had interest in seeing some of these freshman, the results so far aren't encouraging. I am not looking forward to 2 blowouts at the KC.
                        Last edited by WiscTJK; 10-20-2014, 09:57 AM.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          And the biggest problem I have is that Navin, Besse, Soleway, LaBate and Zulinick have done little to nothing on the offensive end this season. You're going to get inconsistency from the freshmen.
                          I don't hold Navin accountable at all for the offensive woes. He's a guy with 19 career points, a 3rd/4th line guy. I hope he breaks out, but I'm not holding my breath. Can he have 20 pts this year? LaBate has 65 career points, 23, 20, 22 pts. I don't see him suddenly jumping to 40 just because....Beese and Soleway have the potential......Zulinick needs to step up bigtime, especially considering the RS year he has under his belt. He knows the system, he's got to execute it.

Eaves needs to screw the center defensive responsibility underclassman thing, stick Hughes and Rockwood at C, and sink or swim with them @ C. It can't get any worse, can it? It isn't like UW needs to protect weak goaltending with solid D play in front, let Rumps make 35 saves a game. If he stops 92% that's a gaa of 2.88. Maybe UW can score 2 to 3 goals a game with the young guys @ C instead of stymieing their creativity by playing wing and scoring less than 1 a game.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

We went to see the Badgers play NMU Friday night in Green Bay. NMU came out fast in the first period and put up 2 goals. Northern slowed their pace in the 2nd and 3rd periods and coasted in for the win. The Badgers coasted the whole game and never played with any intensity or urgency. They conceded most pucks to Northern and on two occasions I saw freshmen visibly shy away from contact. Give Northern credit, they broke up most rushes in the neutral zone before they got started.

It’s painful to watch them go thru this growing process. I’m not going to watch another game until later in the season, when they will be better.

Comment

I usually don't show up in these parts 'til around mid November or later because that's when the suicide watch is usually kicking into high gear, but it's an early fall.

This is just speculation because I haven't researched it, but I'd bet that Eaves' Badgers have one of the worst October records in college hockey over the last ten years. On the other hand I'd speculate that they are near the top post-break. Why we even schedule these early games after a couple of days practice anymore is beyond me given the way the PWR works...

Haven't seen a game, just listened to Posick for all four. (I enjoy his call but I find it difficult to get a really good picture of what's going on on the ice from them) I will say he's certainly used a whole season's quota of the word "accidentally" already. Glad to hear Shulze looked better the last game from an eye witness because I am scratching my head as to how he could be -7 already and a non factor. Kid is capable of being the best guy on the ice at any given moment and obviously we need to rely on him to play up to his potential. LaBate just seems a disaster at this early point... his 4 game line is: 0-0-0; 10 shots; -5; 6-12pim; 30-33 faceoffs. He averaged 3 shots/g on the third line last year? His passing is terrible... Hmmm... Navin is 10-1 on faceoffs... maybe Brad ought to be stepping in the circle a little more? Seems like Besse stepped it up a little over the last weekend and put some shots on net. Badgers dismal .035 shot pct. (3-86) can't continue long.

Reading between the lines, I'm glad to see there's some players among the freshman. My impression has been that Dougherty is ready out of the box and Wagner, Hughes, and Rockwood all have star potential.

I thought an interesting point last weekend was when we were down 2-0 with 20 seconds left in the 2nd and a face off in the O zone, Eaves has the fourth line take the draw. That's not an oversight I'm sure, but rather telling as to how messed up the kids were playing. These guys will play better.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                Why we even schedule these early games after a couple of days practice anymore is beyond me given the way the PWR works...
                                At the risk of taking you seriously here, I'd say that it's simply because finding quality opponents when most conferences are in the swing of their conference schedule is probably fairly difficult.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X