Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

Chris Davis is suspended 25 games for testing positive for amphetamines.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Re: MLB 2014: I paid the $20 mil posting fee for the right to start this thread

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      The fastball up and inside got away from Fiers, hit Stanton square in the cheek. Bled pretty badly in the batters box and was taken off by the ambulance cart.

What a sh**show that developed on the sequence of plays that followed. Calling Stanton's HBP a strike, and then Fiers trying to throw a fastball in the exact same location and missing (again) hitting Reed Johnson, and Johnson subsequently being called out on a swinging strike (while being hit in the hand).

*edit* And the Fish just threw an inside pitch that hit Carlos Gomez in the elbow(pad). Gomez calmly took first base and the Marlins pitcher promptly ejected.
      You do realize that if you offer at a pitch and miss, by rule it is a strike, even if that same pitch hits you square in the face. Stanton clearly swung. In fact it looked to me like he made less effort to get out of the way of a pitch towards the face than I have ever seen. Reed looked a little less like he swung, but I could see an argument made that he swung as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        Chris Davis is suspended 25 games for testing positive for amphetamines.
        And in actuality, it's 25 games for him not renewing his exemption for Adderall due to a prescription.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          You do realize that if you offer at a pitch and miss, by rule it is a strike, even if that same pitch hits you square in the face. Stanton clearly swung. In fact it looked to me like he made less effort to get out of the way of a pitch towards the face than I have ever seen. Reed looked a little less like he swung, but I could see an argument made that he swung as well.
          I would wager the ****show that aparch is referring to is the benches clearing after the incident, not the actual strikes, as most people are perfectly aware of that rule.... especially if they watched the game last night.

Mike Fiers got a fine for his part (yelling at the dugout because he thought they were yelling at him - where is Garrett Jones' fine?), and the Marlins pitcher who plunked Gomez got 3 games (for the record, I did not think that was intentional).

Comment

• Originally posted by jen View Post
            I would wager the ****show that aparch is referring to is the benches clearing after the incident, not the actual strikes, as most people are perfectly aware of that rule.... especially if they watched the game last night.
            Correct. Was referring to the bench clearing brawls.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              And in actuality, it's 25 games for him not renewing his exemption for Adderall due to a prescription.
              What a ****ing load of ****. This is the kind of thing that ****es me off. As long as he was taking it legally and it was prescribed, what a crock.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                What a ****ing load of ****. This is the kind of thing that ****es me off. As long as he was taking it legally and it was prescribed, what a crock.
                Zero tolerance. And probably in the Basic Agreement between MLB & the Players Association.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Zero tolerance. And probably in the Basic Agreement between MLB & the Players Association.
                  It's ALL legalese and contracts. That is what most don't get.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    I get that. It doesn't make it any less of a metric cart full of bull ****.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      So if you can find a doctor willing to prescribe anabolic steroids then their use should be allowed under baseball's rules? Because steroids are a perfectly legal (and in the cases of legitimate use serve a perfectly reasonable purpose) when prescribed by a licensed physician. The fact is drugs like Adderall can provide quite the pick me up when abused and its obvious that MLB is right to police it like they do when you realize that MLB players are "prescribed" this drug at a rate that far outpaces the general public. Amazing that so many MLB players are "afflicted" with ADHD.

But what really amazes me is that the MLB policy for a first positive test for use of an unapproved amphetamine is a warning, not a suspension. So Davis tested positive once before. How stupid can he be, especially given his public comments when confronted with the questions about his 50+ homer season. He was nearly as adamant about his opposition to PHDs as Rafael Palmiero was in that famous congressional hearing. Now he looks like just another lying MLB player, and that's a shame.

The stigma of PHDs is going to last for generations, no matter how well baseball cleans up it's act. The players would probably be better served by refusing to ever comment on them from now on. If they deny use when people ask them about 600 foot home runs or 175 RBI seasons half the public doesn't believe them anyway. And if - like Davis - they subsequently test positive, it damages their reputation even more than if they had never said a word.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Correct. Was referring to the bench clearing brawls.
                        Ahh, gotcha. I can see that now re-reading your original post. My bad.

Comment

How stupid can he be, especially given his public comments when confronted with the questions about his 50+ homer season. He was nearly as adamant about his opposition to PHDs as Rafael Palmiero was in that famous congressional hearing. Now he looks like just another lying MLB player, and that's a shame.

The stigma of PHDs is going to last for generations, no matter how well baseball cleans up it's act.
                          I can certainly understand the stigma of PhDs in baseball. With the commitment it takes to get to The Show, most guys simply can't put in seven years of school for an advanced degree. Some in the clubhouse could feel intimidated with that kind of intelligence in the same room.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

But what really amazes me is that the MLB policy for a first positive test for use of an unapproved amphetamine is a warning, not a suspension.
                            The NFL has the same policy. First time offense is not made public if you enter a drug program.

Comment

So if you can find a doctor willing to prescribe anabolic steroids then their use should be allowed under baseball's rules? Because steroids are a perfectly legal (and in the cases of legitimate use serve a perfectly reasonable purpose) when prescribed by a licensed physician. The fact is drugs like Adderall can provide quite the pick me up when abused and its obvious that MLB is right to police it like they do when you realize that MLB players are "prescribed" this drug at a rate that far outpaces the general public. Amazing that so many MLB players are "afflicted" with ADHD.

But what really amazes me is that the MLB policy for a first positive test for use of an unapproved amphetamine is a warning, not a suspension. So Davis tested positive once before. How stupid can he be, especially given his public comments when confronted with the questions about his 50+ homer season. He was nearly as adamant about his opposition to PHDs as Rafael Palmiero was in that famous congressional hearing. Now he looks like just another lying MLB player, and that's a shame.

The stigma of PHDs is going to last for generations, no matter how well baseball cleans up it's act. The players would probably be better served by refusing to ever comment on them from now on. If they deny use when people ask them about 600 foot home runs or 175 RBI seasons half the public doesn't believe them anyway. And if - like Davis - they subsequently test positive, it damages their reputation even more than if they had never said a word.
                              No, but if this was something that has been documented for a while (as in he's been prescribed this for a very long time and has had an exemption documented in the past) then we need to be a bit smarter than no tolerance.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                No, but if this was something that has been documented for a while (as in he's been prescribed this for a very long time and has had an exemption documented in the past) then we need to be a bit smarter than no tolerance.
                                Sorry but I can't disagree with your premise more vehemently. They all know the rules and it obviously isn't NO tolerance when you can drop dirty once and not be suspended. Why should the system have to babysit Davis? He knew the rules, and had complied with them in the past.

It's also demonstrably true that major league baseball players take drugs like Adderall at a far more frequent rate than the general public and I don't believe for a minute that most of the baseball players currently taking Adderall or similar drugs actually need them to treat their "ADHD." Ask yourself how so many finely tuned athletes, who had to have the wherewithal to focus enough to attain levels of athleticism and skill that 99.99% of the population can only dream of reaching, are also suffers of ADHD? It simply doesn't compute. It's a huge loophole that allows these guys to take the amphetamines in the first place. It isn't asking them too much to at least follow the prescribed guidelines.

Comment

Working...
                                X