2014 Sochi Olympic Games Women's Ice Hockey Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mnpokecheck View Post
    Canadians doing a good job to get US off its game so far.
    Waiting to see US's speed. Canada looks like the quicker team and has a 2-1 lead with 13 minutes remaining
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

• Re: 2014 Sochi Olympic Games Women's Ice Hockey Tournament

Well despite some horrendous officiating including the second goal, Jessie Vetter has to be talking to herself after this game. She should have controlled the puck and not let it slip behind her for the second goal. That's on her. And Gigi Marvin also has to feel sick about her move inside the Canadians blue line that let Agosta break away for the third goal. Can't let that happen.

What's more troubling was the lack of offense from the US in the third period. No shots until late in the period? How does that happen? But give the Canadians credit for adjusting on D and taking away the middle of the ice. They also benefitted from the lack of calls that allowed them to play physical. It seemed to wear down Team USA.

Hopefully these teams meet again.

Comment

Originally posted by northhockey View Post
        IOC finally states the obvious, hopefully puts an end to four years of media overreaction and misguided comparisons from everything from softball to snow leopards.

IOC spokesman says women's hockey not at risk of getting kicked out of Olympics

IOC spokesman Mark Adams says organizers are ''very pleased'' with the quality of play in the women's hockey tournament so far in Sochi.

Because of a format change that separated the top and bottom teams in the world, there have been fewer blowouts than in past Olympics.

Then-IOC President Jacques Rogge had been quoted after the Vancouver games as saying, ''We cannot continue without improvement.'' But Adams says the former president was supportive of women's hockey and was only thinking ''way into the future.''

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Well despite some horrendous officiating including the second goal,...
          Hopefully these teams meet again.
          It's funny how we all see things only from our favourite team's perspective. It would have been a horrible call if the second goal was NOT allowed. Vetter never had control of the puck and the ref would have blown it if she quick whistled the play dead.

I though Canada was full marks today, especially after how dominant the Americans have been in the last few games. Kessel was invisible today which was very surprising.

Should be a great final and I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
            It's funny how we all see things only from our favourite team's perspective. It would have been a horrible call if the second goal was NOT allowed. Vetter never had control of the puck and the ref would have blown it if she quick whistled the play dead.

I though Canada was full marks today, especially after how dominant the Americans have been in the last few games. Kessel was invisible today which was very surprising.

Should be a great final and I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome is different.
            I wasn't all that thrilled with the tripping call that led to the power-play that led to the (not a) goal.

(But in this week of Wisconsin vs Minnesota, I love that the first US goal was "Knight, from Schlepper" :-)

Comment

Skate79 said the key word .. "adjusting".

TC playing better in defensive zone by having better gap upon US's zone entry; being more aggressive with the US's forwards along the wall; and stepping up into the rush up the middle on their own breakouts. Their neutral zone coverage is better by stepping up in the US's forwards faces thus knocking them off the puck or breaking up the play. TC's forwards also doing better support to their D in the def zone.

So props to TC coaching staff in making the necessary adjustments to squelch the potent US forecheck, quickness/speed and skill.

Now, lets see if Coach Stone can make the necessary counter-adjustments for what hopefully is a Can/US gold medal game.

Let the chess match begin .........

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post

Well, the rule is, I believe, (i) the refs should blow the whistle when they lose sight of the puck, and (ii) it is a goal only if the puck went in prior to the whistle being blown. Even if you argue the whistle was blown to soon, it is obvious from the review the puck did not go in before the whistle. Calling it a goal was a bad call.

Regardless, that 3rd goal was all USA's mistake, and the fact that USA had hardly any shots in the 3rd is worrisome.

Question: Should that last penalty have been a delayed penalty since USA was on a rush with full possession. I thought it was an offsides call at first.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey13 View Post
                  Well, the rule is, I believe, (i) the refs should blow the whistle when they lose sight of the puck, and (ii) it is a goal only if the puck went in prior to the whistle being blown. Even if you argue the whistle was blown to soon, it is obvious from the review the puck did not go in before the whistle. Calling it a goal was a bad call.
                  Did the ref blow the whistle? If she did, she certainly didn't defend herself by signalling the play being dead. She was guilty of being out of position, that much is sure.

The 2 Canadian players looked like they got tangled up with each other on the change so I would say that it was not intentional and not a delay of game penalty. That would have been interesting as if the ref saw it as being intentional, she would have had to have called a Penalty Shot.

Comment

They did. The review was part "audio" review - they were trying to hear when the whistle blew as compared to when the puck crossed the line. They replayed it 3-4 times on NBC sports.

Comment

On a related note, I think it was the US D (not sure which one) who pushed the puck through Vetter's pads while trying to "help" her by putting the puck in her reach, right?

Comment

They did. The review was part "audio" review - they were trying to hear when the whistle blew as compared to when the puck crossed the line. They replayed it 3-4 times on NBC sports.
                        I couldn't hear the audio very well on the Canadian feed. The ref did not react as if she had blown the play dead as she was out of position. If she had blown the whistle and defended her call I would have no problem with it. It appeared as if she ws lost so from that perspective I agree it was horrible officiating. My Canadian bias makes me think that the penalty calling was not out of line. Lots of physical play was let go on both sides. JLam was hitting everyone in sight and wasn't penalized.

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                          Thank you on both accounts. But also apologies for the last one, though. I recognize it wasn't needed.
                          Because anyone with eyes can see, and agrees with you.

Comment

Is Haley Irwin suiting up for team Canada? Injured? Haven't been following too closely . . . but, haven't heard her name yet during the Olympics?

Comment

Regardless, that 3rd goal was all USA's mistake, and the fact that USA had hardly any shots in the 3rd is worrisome.

Question: Should that last penalty have been a delayed penalty since USA was on a rush with full possession. I thought it was an offsides call at first.
                              Yes, should have been delayed. Then to let the US mill around at the bench as they did was terrible. (I'm a US fan)

Actually go look at goal 3 again. The Ref set an awesome pick in the Canada zone to get the whole thing started. Would be nice if she knew where to stand.

With the importance of these games I will never understand the bypassing of so many qualified refs in the world, just to make sure the person with the armband has a ponytail and is not from the US or Canada.

I'll take my chances with possible bias with a CAN or US woman wearing the orange or having a male ref for the CAN-US matchup, rather than watch this buffoonery.

Comment

As a referee, you know that one team is almost always going to be angry with you at the end of the game.

When both teams want your head, you know you were terrible!

Comment

Working...
                                X