Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Sochi Olympic Games Women's Ice Hockey Tournament

Originally posted by driventoit View Post
    “Good ice or a hot shower?” Who knew that Warroad and Sochi share the same issue?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/05/sp...tml?ref=sports
    Great article...thanks.

Comment

An interesting article abut Team Canada's preparations in Europe...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/new...n-to-st-polten

Comment

Originally posted by fantasticfrito View Post
        Gopher Women's goalie coach Andy Kent is coaching the Finnish goalies.
        Originally posted by Hux View Post
        There is no coaching involved...he just sits back and sips his hot cocoa and says "awesome job Nora...that's it...sweet save!"
        Touche there. I wasn't sure whether or not to include Andy in my list because, even though he's a Gopher coach, he spent his playing days across the river at Augsburg.
        Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
        Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
        Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

North Dakota's Olympic site has a TV schedule with Canadian channels on it as well, nice to include info for those living north of the border.
          http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...RIBER_CONTENT=

Comment

Anyone know if there will be some kind of archived broadcast available online after the game is over? I see NBC is streaming it live, but I've already been up for 22 hours on 3 hours of sleep, I don't think staying up to watch the game is in the cards tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
              Anyone know if there will be some kind of archived broadcast available online after the game is over? I see NBC is streaming it live, but I've already been up for 22 hours on 3 hours of sleep, I don't think staying up to watch the game is in the cards tonight.
              My understanding is that NBCOlympics.com streams the game live and then there will be a replay late in the afternoon after the day's live events are done. The only thing that will be archived is highlights.

Comment

Former Gophers Todd Richards and Robb Stauber are also lending their coaching skills to USA Hockey. Richards is an Asst Coach for the US Men's Hockey team and Robb Stauber is the Goalie Coach for the US Women's Hockey team.

Comment

Spoiler?
                  Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                    My understanding is that NBCOlympics.com streams the game live and then there will be a replay late in the afternoon after the day's live events are done. The only thing that will be archived is highlights.
                    Game will be reshown at 6 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. CT on NBCSN.

Very tempted to post a score update, but I'll hold off for now.

Comment

Now since there are Gophers on both Teams Finland and Team USA and they play right away, what would need to happen for the 2 teams to play each other again? Or would that not happen under any circumstances other than maybe a tie?! I don't know how it all works? Is there a link to a site that might explain it? I guess I'm just hoping both teams end up medaling and just wondering how that might happen or would losing the first game mean the loser can not win the Gold?!

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
                        Now since there are Gophers on both Teams Finland and Team USA and they play right away, what would need to happen for the 2 teams to play each other again? Or would that not happen under any circumstances other than maybe a tie?! I don't know how it all works? Is there a link to a site that might explain it? I guess I'm just hoping both teams end up medaling and just wondering how that might happen or would losing the first game mean the loser can not win the Gold?!
                        There are two groups of 4 teams -- Group A is the top tier and Group B is the second tier of teams -- and each team plays one game against each other team in their group. So USA and Finland wouldn't play again in this round-robin group play. Canada and Switzerland are the other two teams in Group A.

But the two teams could meet again in the medal/elimination round. USA will likely get a bye to the semifinals as one of the top two teams in Group A. The bottom two teams in Group A have to play quarterfinal games against the top two teams in Group B to advance to the semifinals. Assuming Finland is third or fourth in Group A, they'd play a quarterfinal; if they advance, they'd likely play USA or Canada in the semis.
                        Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-08-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

If U.S. & Finland are 1st & 4th in their 4-team pool (or 2nd & 3rd in their pool), then they would play again in the semifinals if the team in the bottom half of the pool wins its quarterfinal - the top half of the pool gets quarterfinal byes. Otherwise they could meet in the gold medal game if they both win semifinals or bronze medal game if they both lose semifinals.

So if you want to maximize the success of Finland & USA, the key is for them to finish 1st & 3rd or 2nd & 4th in the pool then - most likely that means Finland beating Switzerland and U.S. beating Canada.

The U.S.-Canada first game is rather significant, because a win likely means the winner avoiding having to face Raty in a semifinal elimination game.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                            My understanding is they would archive in full any event that's not being held for primetime, so you should be able to watch any w. hockey game on demand within a few hours after it's over.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                              My understanding is they would archive in full any event that's not being held for primetime, so you should be able to watch any w. hockey game on demand within a few hours after it's over.
                              Yup, I see the archive on the NBC sports app already, less than an hour post game.

Comment

1st, 2nd and 3rd stars of the Switzerland vs Canada game go to Florence Schelling.

5 - 0 Canada on 69 shots = .9275 save percentage on those 69 shots with tons of those shots requiring difficult saves in an attempt to try to keep her team in the game.

A couple of times in the third period it looked like it was all she could do to get back on her feet after making a save which is all the more reason her save percentage for this high intensity game is extremely impressive.

She simply turned in a tremendous performance.
                                Last edited by Blackbeard; 02-08-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X