X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sochi Olympics Results thread - SPOILERS

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Well that continues the overarching theme of getting kicked in the pants for the USA Olympics.
    For a country that puts as little tax dollars to sport as humanly possible, 7 medals isn't bad. Moreso for a country who sports trends don't really care, in general, for any winter sport. Hockey and figure skating are the most popular winter sports in this country. And we know how marginal they really are.

Talk about superpower problems.
    Last edited by alfablue; 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I didn't know Randy Schmidt had become an Olympic referee after being fired by the WCHA.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        For a country that puts as little tax dollars to sport as humanly possible, 7 medals isn't bad. Moreso for a country who sports trends don't really care, in general, for any winter sport. Hockey and figure skating are the most popular winter sports in this country. And we know how marginal they really are.

Talk about superpower problems.
        Yes but we also put way more corporate dollars towards sports than any nation.

I'm more talking about the fact that it seems the overall performance hasn't been great. Especially since a few medal favorites have gone bust so far.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Watched some of this women's singles luge yesterday. Noted as the women stood up after their runs in the skin tight uniforms that there appears to be an advantage in having a low center of gravity while lying in the sled - at least all the top finishers appear to have that. I guess I'd have to try the skeleton to get my center of gravity that low....
          Did you see the NYTimes article yesterday on how many skiers (and some hockey players) can't find jeans that fit, due to their exceptionally low centers of gravity?
          Bugs Bunny - 96
          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

I'm more talking about the fact that it seems the overall performance hasn't been great. Especially since a few medal favorites have gone bust so far.
            And? Maybe our "corporate" sport model isn't that great. We also have one of the largest teams out there, so we spread all of that money out.

While the Shawn Whites have not been stellar, we also got a luge medal that we've never had, and the guy who won the board slope style was not predicted to even be in the final. And based on Julia Mancuso's reaction, she didn't expect to win a bronze.

It's why the games are played.

Comment

For Olympians, most of them only start to see those corporate dollars once they earn that gold medal. It's a sharp drop off for sliver and bronze medalists, and almost no money for people without medals - those people are often just barely scraping by week-to-week.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Dynamite Drop-in by Board!!!! I love it!
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                  Did you see the NYTimes article yesterday on how many skiers (and some hockey players) can't find jeans that fit, due to their exceptionally low centers of gravity?
                  But the lugers are laying on their backs.....that takes low center of gravity to new heights
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    For Olympians, most of them only start to see those corporate dollars once they earn that gold medal. It's a sharp drop off for sliver and bronze medalists, and almost no money for people without medals - those people are often just barely scraping by week-to-week.
                    I believe that a lot of the facilities are funded by corporate dollars (or by the Olympic Committee, which is funded by corporate dollars). To me, the fact that some of the competitors in the fringe sports are just scraping by magnifies their accomplishment.

I'll admit that my attitude toward the Olympics has changed a lot since the cold war. I'll always root for the US athletes, but I actually enjoy seeing some non-US country winning because their culture cares about the sport, like the Norweigans in nordic events and the Dutch in speed skating.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      And? Maybe our "corporate" sport model isn't that great. We also have one of the largest teams out there, so we spread all of that money out.

While the Shawn Whites have not been stellar, we also got a luge medal that we've never had, and the guy who won the board slope style was not predicted to even be in the final. And based on Julia Mancuso's reaction, she didn't expect to win a bronze.

It's why the games are played.
                      I'm not saying everything is bad and I know our system has many problems . It just seems, overall from an American perspective, these Games aren't going too well. There have been some bright spots but there have been some real disappointments. And I'm not talking about Shaun White. I'm looking at things like Kikkan Randall, Bode Miller, the team figure skating, the Women's Curling giving up a 7-ender. I know it's kinda early but it's been kinda disappointing to see that stuff.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The US was expected to finish in bronze position in the team skating event. Canada was supposed to get the gold. But yes, overall, this isn't the Olympics NBC wanted. All that changes if the women's hockey team wins gold and the men's team gets a medal. The last US medal in ice hockey in Europe was 1956.

Comment

Canada gets 4 in the 5th end against Russia on a great shot to go up 6-2.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            The US was expected to finish in bronze position in the team skating event. Canada was supposed to get the gold. But yes, overall, this isn't the Olympics NBC wanted. All that changes if the women's hockey team wins gold and the men's team gets a medal. The last US medal in ice hockey in Europe was 1956.
                            Most predictions I saw said that the Russians would win the team figure skating. I think it was their choice to add the event and there's no way they'd do that if they didn't think that they'd win.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              And based on Julia Mancuso's reaction, she didn't expect to win a bronze.
                              The bronze officially made her the most decorated American female alpine racer in Olympic history, which would definitely be something for her to react to.

She could still pad that record later this week in Super G, but neither her, nor Lara Gut, nor Maria Hoefl-Riesch had good results in the women's downhill yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                                Most predictions I saw said that the Russians would win the team figure skating. I think it was their choice to add the event and there's no way they'd do that if they didn't think that they'd win.
                                Not that it means much, but Sports Illustrated had Canada winning the gold in Team Figure Skating.

Ultimately, it has been a disappointing Olympics thus far for the United States. That being said, there are still a lot of events out there that the US can do well in (starting with the Women's Halfpipe this afternoon).

The most gold medals the US has ever got was 10...they should have an outside chance of reaching that number this Olympics. I don't see any way they reach 37 overall medals though...not without some big surprises.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X