This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

What would be a story is if someone thoroughly investigated a FIFA official and found that they never took bribes or did anything unseemly.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
      What would be a story is if someone thoroughly investigated a FIFA official and found that they never took bribes or did anything unseemly.
      Or, alternately, if there were actual consequences for the rampant corruption.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Too bad the that story came out because you know FIFA will take U.S. and England out of the World Cup running for 20 years.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Hey, Julian Green!

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
            Or, alternately, if there were actual consequences for the rampant corruption.
            Something like being tied to a stake out in the middle of a pitch and pelted Chuck-a-Puck style with soccer balls until they have a full body bruise??
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by EasternBadger View Post
              Hey, Julian Green!
              Big win for Jurgen.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I should be surprised by this, but I'm not.

http://deadspin.com/report-qatars-wo...ium=socialflow

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                  I should be surprised by this, but I'm not.

http://deadspin.com/report-qatars-wo...ium=socialflow
                  The more information that comes out about the working conditions in Qatar, the less interested I am in even watching an event that takes place there. I realize that billions will still tune in and it's still an event that holds my interest, but it's almost like that would be lending some kind of legitimacy to this kind of heartbreaking, mindnumbingly shocking activity.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Looks like the Qataris want to sue Deadspin.

http://deadspin.com/the-organizers-o...ium=socialflow

Comment

Let em. And then we can fly over a couple of those guest workers over to testify about how great it is to work on the Qatari Soccer Stadiums.
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

I like their argument that no one on the managing committee has died, so therefore nothing is wrong.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          I like their argument that no one on the managing committee has died, so therefore nothing is wrong.
                          Yeah, after a whopping "50,000 man hours." Wow - 25 office workers managed to go a whole year without getting a fatal paper cut. Must be the safest country to work in, ever.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Think you've seen it all? You haven't.

Player saves his opponent's life.

Something truly amazing happened in the Ukrainian Premier League today.

Dynamo Kiev midfielder Oleh Husev was knocked unconscious when he collided with the Dnipro goalkeeper’s knee. But not only was he out cold, his tongue seemed to have blocked his airway.

By stroke of luck or fate, Dnipro’s Jaba Kankava was nearby and knew exactly what to do. What happened next is both chilling and astonishing
                            Fox has two videos of the scene.

The head of the Kiev medical staff said later, "...what Dnipro player has done was, simply to say, life saving for Gusev. He acted like a professional doctor".
                            Last edited by Priceless; 03-31-2014, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Rooney flops and now Schweinsteiger is out of the return leg in Munich.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

hard to think of USA v Mexico as a "friendly."
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X