X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think this is the key...soccer has had this image in America for a long time of being boring because it's low scoring. Showing just how exciting a 1-0 game can be was huge for the American perception, even if it should have never come down to that moment.
    Plus the fact we won the group for the first time, and over England no less.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I almost posted that myself.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

so these older players who come to MLS from europe...i assume they are doing it for the money? but how is that possible? how is MLS able to pay these guys?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          so these older players who come to MLS from europe...i assume they are doing it for the money? but how is that possible? how is MLS able to pay these guys?
          Owners are responsible for Designated Players salaries (as opposed to normal where the league pays). Basically its up to the owner if he wants to pay that much.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Bosnia with a strong start against Mexico... They just can't close the deal....

Almost went to this match.. Just too expensive for two teams that I really don't give 2 craps about though...

Also it's blatantly clear why Chicago will never host a USMNT match that means anything... We have way too many fans of other nations in this city... The crowd is almost guaranteed to only be 60% or less in favor of the US... Hate to sound like an ignorant American a-hole, but it's the truth
            I've been having a small argument at work over how the Salvadorans will behave at the El Sal vs. Spain game at FedEx. Not that I think they'll be central america nasty, but i don't think they'll be friendly per se. They'll still get brained by at least 3 goals... he was trying to tell me it'll be cordial because they all support Barca or Real anyways.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
              I've got no sympathy for Rossi. He made his choice and now has to accept the consequences of that choice. He could've been the man on the U.S. squad. He could've still had his time in the Serie A, but he blew it.
              Amen. And for all the bellyaching I'm seeing in the media about American fans being annoyed at Rossi but not at some of the foreign-born US players, here's a big difference - most of the time, players are coming from countries where they'd have a harder time cracking the lineup. If they're legit (like the sons of servicemen), more power to them for choosing the US.

Screw Rossi. His eyes were bigger than his stomach.

I do look at Aron Jóhannsson with an eye askew, and to a lesser extent Mix Diskerud. Iceland was close to qualifying this year, as amazing as that sounds, and Aron could have been a difference maker for them. I know he was born in Alabama but he grew up in Iceland. Norway on the other hand I see as being on roughly the same level as the US, but Diskerud's an all out Norwegian for sure. Glad to have them but there's a feeling like they sold out for us.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Amen. And for all the bellyaching I'm seeing in the media about American fans being annoyed at Rossi but not at some of the foreign-born US players, here's a big difference - most of the time, players are coming from countries where they'd have a harder time cracking the lineup. If they're legit (like the sons of servicemen), more power to them for choosing the US.

Screw Rossi. His eyes were bigger than his stomach.

I do look at Aron Jóhannsson with an eye askew, and to a lesser extent Mix Diskerud. Iceland was close to qualifying this year, as amazing as that sounds, and Aron could have been a difference maker for them. I know he was born in Alabama but he grew up in Iceland. Norway on the other hand I see as being on roughly the same level as the US, but Diskerud's an all out Norwegian for sure. Glad to have them but there's a feeling like they sold out for us.
                To be fair to Johansson he wasn't going to play much because Iceland has some great strikers, but yes he and Diskerud are the closest comparisons to Rossi.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Another profile of Klinsman in today's WSJ:

A crisis was looming at a pivotal moment in this World Cup campaign—and to some extent for soccer in America. Team USA needed to strike fast. It was time do what their German-born coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, had been exhorting them to do for months: It was time to play soccer like Americans.

For nearly a century, the world's soccer-playing nations have tried to forge connections between the way they see themselves and what they do on the field

Before Mr. Klinsmann took the reins of the American team three years ago, playing like an American meant, for the most part, sticking to an assigned position and reacting to the other team's attack. To Mr. Klinsmann, a former German star and national-team coach who moved to the U.S. in 1998, the strategy struck him as wholly un-American.

Mr. Klinsmann, soccer's Alexis de Tocqueville, wanted to build a winner, but he wasn't interested in teaching Americans how to play like anyone else. He wanted to create a squad that represented what he sees as the defining American characteristic—a visceral hatred of being dictated to.

"American nature is to take the game to our opponents. We don't want to just react to them," he explained in an interview last month near his home in Southern California

He believed the modern game had no place for teams that hang back and try merely to survive—"parking the bus in front of the goal" in soccer-speak. For the U.S. team, he felt this strategy was wrong on another level: it was un-American. "You want to take things in your own hands," he says of American behavior on and off the field.

Mr. Klinsmann taught the U.S. players to see the field differently—to impose themselves on opposing defenses, and for defenders to push high into the middle of the field and even to join the attack. Midfielders, who have to both attack and defend, were sent down the sides of the field where they could send crossing passes in front of their opponent's goal.

Most important, he implored them to keep the ball moving around the field, and the only way to do that, he explained, was to stay in near perpetual motion, to search constantly for the open space where they can receive a pass.

Mr. Klinsmann made it clear he thought the players were too proud of themselves for making it out of the group stage of the 2010 World Cup before getting ousted by Ghana, a poor nation less than one-tenth the size of the U.S. Such a result, he noted, would cause a national crisis in Germany.

There are some good graphics in the article that show key differences in the US team's "shape" on the field before and after JK took over.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Heard this piece on NPR this morning. It is definitely time for FIFA to stop giving away these white elephants to countries who can't afford them and can't execute, and then patting themselves on the back thinking that they've done something great for those countries. Oh, and to stop taking the bribes - that would be a good plan, too.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

No Vuvuzelas at the World Cup? THANK GOD!

Link
                      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

• Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                        No Vuvuzelas at the World Cup? THANK GOD!

Link
                        And no large banners. Don't want none of them protest banners sneaking in.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          Like that would stop them?? A little organization and you could easily stitch together a bunch of small banners into one big banner during the match.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            And Hooters. I'm not sure I like that one.
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Wouldn't it be really ironic if, in order to really emerge as a world-class player, Michael Bradley needed JK to replace Bob Bradley as national team coach?

I like the shift from the 4-2-3-1 to the 4-3-1-2 concept (though it's called a 4-4-2...). Bradley the playmaker linking up with Dempsey and Altidore on the attack.

Give JK props for changing from the formation that carried USA through qualifying into the formation that gives them a better chance to win in Brazil with the players they now have on the roster.

Given how he wants the USA to play, I am now understanding better why Donovan was not brought along. The 4-3-1-2 requires a lot of running from the midfielders, and Donovan said publicly that, at his age, he couldn't train hard for 12 days in a row and be at his best for each of those 12 days.

Altidore is essential up front for his size, strength, and aerial skill, and so you are then left with a choice: who'd you pick if it were up to you, Dempsey or Donovan?

I have an anecdotal sense that the USA is one of the best teams in the world for scoring goals in the 85th minute or later. You can wear down a team mentally by wearing them down physically, and the conditioning exercises and emphasis on proper hydration and nutrition will stand them in good stead. In a way, it's too bad they get Ghana in Manaus, since there won't be as much of an advantage for the USA in that heat and humidity as there would be if they played Germany or Portugal there.

Call me crazy (others have! ) but in my pool, I'm picking Germany first and USA second from that group.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Heard this piece on NPR this morning. It is definitely time for FIFA to stop giving away these white elephants to countries who can't afford them and can't execute, and then patting themselves on the back thinking that they've done something great for those countries. Oh, and to stop taking the bribes - that would be a good plan, too.
                                FIFA is not interested in your logic and coherent thought process. They might get interested if you show up with a briefcase full of cash first, though.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X