• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Speaking of more difficult...Bovada in Vegas is giving away $10,000
    http://worldcup.bovada.lv/

Comment

Still my favorite report on FIFA. Too bad it cost England a shot at any World Cup in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InY3mmGl_4M
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Sepp Blatter accuses critics of trying to ‘destroy’ FIFA

If only they could, you bottom feeder.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          Send the Panorama reporters from BBC and Jeremy Schaap to finish the job.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

http://babb.telegraph.co.uk/2014/06/...-venn-diagram/
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              It would be so delicious to see Sepp have to hand the trophy to England. He'd probably break out in a rash.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                It would be so delicious to see Sepp have to hand the trophy to England. He'd probably break out in a rash.
                I'm happy to see their streak of failure continue...especially if its at the hands of the ticos
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I'm happy to see their streak of failure continue...especially if its at the hands of the ticos
                  Understood. I've mostly Scottish blood in me, but they won't be making the Cup anytime soon. I do have English, German and French blood in me too. However, I like rooting for England because they seem to be FIFA's target. They'll give World Cups to a land-grabbing, KGB-trained dictator that channels his inner-Joe Stalin and the oil-rich Qataris that will use their stadiums as a giant grave for foreign workers. However, they complain when a couple of Brits have a couple of pints and like to fight. Way to prioritize there, Sepp.

So I'll gladly cheer for the Three Lions just as big middle finger to that backwards and corrupt bunch of strongmen.

Comment

Something I came across today while reading Deadspin's nation-by-nation World Cup preview (which are worth a read): John Obi Mikel is only 27. I could swear he's been playing for Chelsea for at least 30 years.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                      So I'll gladly cheer for the Three Lions just as big middle finger to that backwards and corrupt bunch of strongmen.
                      Do you mean Russia, Qatar or FIFA?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                        Do you mean Russia, Qatar or FIFA?
                        FIFA. However, I'd laugh hysterically if Russia gets shelled and Putin sends them all to the gulag.

Comment

for you experts...

even with the world cup here it seems like there is constant transfer talk. so while the world cup is hyped beyond belief, is it fair to say when push comes to shove that these players care more about their club careers? i mean that's where they make their money. as an example, would someone like gerrard rather win an EPL/Champions league with liverpool or a world cup with england? i've always been fascinated by that.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            for you experts...

even with the world cup here it seems like there is constant transfer talk. so while the world cup is hyped beyond belief, is it fair to say when push comes to shove that these players care more about their club careers? i mean that's where they make their money. as an example, would someone like gerrard rather win an EPL/Champions league with liverpool or a world cup with england? i've always been fascinated by that.
                            They'd rather win with their national teams, I would think. The glory heaped on Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard would dwarf whatever they get from winning a club title. They get paid the same by their clubs win or lose. This is for national pride.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              They'd rather win with their national teams, I would think. The glory heaped on Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard would dwarf whatever they get from winning a club title. They get paid the same by their clubs win or lose. This is for national pride.
                              They wouldn't have to buy a drink in England ever again.

Comment

Nate Silver's 538 blog World Cup group stage predictions here.

You can click on any team and see the probabilities they calculated for each game outcome against the other three teams in the group.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X