This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Good news! That whole slave labor thing has been dealt with. Now we can all move on.

FIFA welcomes workers' welfare measures announced today by the State of Qatar
    (FIFA.com) Wednesday 14 May 2014

FIFA welcomes the labour law reforms announced today by Qatar’s Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs as well as the Ministry of the Interior at a media briefing in Doha. Given these new developments in the 2022 FIFA World Cup host country, FIFA President Blatter and FIFA Executive Committee member Dr Theo Zwanziger decided to postpone a scheduled trip in mid-May to until after the 2014 FIFA World Cup. This allows for time to gain a better understanding of the measures that were presented today. The announced reforms confirm the expressed commitment of the country’s authorities to improve the welfare of migrant workers and to use the hosting of the 2022 FIFA World Cup as a catalyst for positive social change.

“This announcement is a significant step in the right direction for sustainable change in the workers' welfare standards in Qatar. We look forward to seeing the implementation of these concrete actions over the next months. We will continue our close cooperation with Qatari authorities as well as dialogue with all key stakeholders”, says FIFA President Blatter.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Stunning news from Berlin
      Germany Abdicates World Cup Championship; Argentina To Assume Title

BRAZIL––The German National Team today stunned soccer fans across the globe with their announcement that they would abdicate the World Cup title, effective today. UEFA, the administrative body for association football in Europe and part of Asia, said today it has voted the largely unknown Argentinian National Team to assume the title of champions of the soccer world.

In a statement issued today, the German National Team wrote: “…in today’s game, subject to so many rapid changes on the pitch and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the beautiful game, in order to govern the bark of the World Cup and proclaim the goodness for beautiful game, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few quarters of play, has deteriorated in us to the extent that we have had to recognize our incapacity to adequately fulfill the duties necessary to being World Cup champions.”

The Argentinean Nation Team takes over title as UEFA is embroiled in a storm of controversy after accepting Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup. Moments after news broke that Argentina would be taking over as World Cup champions, soccer fans from the across the globe were enthusiastic about the news. One American soccer fan, Timothy Clark, told EOTT that it was a time for a change.

“The old champions were not a good fit for today’s game. They didn’t allow soccer to evolve to today’s game. It seemed like they wanted to take game back to the early days of soccer. But the Argentinian team appears to be a champion for the people. They seem open to changes in the game. I really think they will open the door to female players in the near future.”

At press time, the Argentinian National team has told the press that “If a player wants to slap another player on the butt after a goal, who are we to judge.”
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Stunning news from Berlin
        I get that's supposed to be a papal joke, but that's just stupid, not funny.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          128 million transfer fee for Suarez to Barca.
          last week, the Barcelona papers were saying 82 million pounds. so looks like that was pretty close.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            I get that's supposed to be a papal joke, but that's just stupid, not funny.
            Yeah, I read the darn thing twice looking for the humor, so I wasted 2x as much time.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Minnesota United beat Swansea City tonight. I'm sure Swansea wasn't going anywhere near 100%, but a nice result all the same.
              SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
              UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
              Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
              Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
              UMD Football: 2008, 2010
              UMD Men: 2011

Comment

If Chris Kluwe wants to make himself useful...

http://deadspin.com/fifas-report-on-...-ma-1608417819
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I found it interesting that FIFA is calling 2018 into question. I wonder if the English are firing up their bid again because that would be a logical replacement for Russia.
                  Twitter: DanMountSports
                  2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Rodriguez signs with Real Madrid for 108 million transfer fee. I'm sitting here imagining him playing with bale.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                      I wonder if the English are firing up their bid again because that would be a logical replacement for Russia.
                      President of English FA says they will not even apply to host any World Cup tournaments until current FIFA regime is replaced and FIFA reformed....er, at least I thought he did. There was a story on si.com saying so earlier today, but when I went to check it again just now, it was gone....
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                        President of English FA says they will not even apply to host any World Cup tournaments until current FIFA regime is replaced and FIFA reformed....er, at least I thought he did. There was a story on si.com saying so earlier today, but when I went to check it again just now, it was gone....
                        He's been sacked.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          He's been sacked.
                          http://38.media.tumblr.com/e52b27f8e...o10_r2_250.gif

Comment

At least this club didn't go with the Chippendale's design.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...6208&utm_tags=
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                              I found it interesting that FIFA is calling 2018 into question. I wonder if the English are firing up their bid again because that would be a logical replacement for Russia.
                              Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Bryant Gumbel had a 20 minute piece on his HBO show last night about the Qatar 2022 bid, the bribery that went on, and human rights issues associated with the country trying to meet it's promises by 2022. They also interviewed one of the people brought in by FIFA to "investigate" the corruption everyone knew existed regarding the Qatar award. She told the interviewer they were basically blocked every step of the way by FIFA, so she just quit. It was a pretty entertaining segment.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                                Minnesota United beat Swansea City tonight. I'm sure Swansea wasn't going anywhere near 100%, but a nice result all the same.
                                The Swans B and C team should handily beat the Loons. Ha. They didn't! It was great.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X