• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Carry on...

Today's Telegraph has a nice article on Arsenal's finances
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Jurgen Klinsman now thinks Manaus is a wonderful city!

“It’s going to be a little hotter than in other places [average highs approach 90 degrees and the humidity hovers around 80 percent]. The place itself is absolutely gorgeous. To be once in Manaus is an experience. I want the players to take it all in. This is something unique. The people there are extremely excited. They are so excited to host World Cup games. It’s a different face of Brazil. That’s what a World Cup is about, to see the different faces of a country, and Manaus is one of those different faces and I’m really looking forward to it,” said Klinsmann, who frequently takes his players to historical and cultural sights while on the road.
    He even had dinner with the mayor during his visit there.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Carry on...

Today's Telegraph has a nice article on Arsenal's finances
      It will be interesting to see how much Wenger starts putting the greater financial resources to work. He's been accused in past years of not using transfer funding that was available to him, but maybe that'll change going forward and the Ozil deal was a harbinger of things to come. Certainly provides a welcome contrast to the Chelski/Man City model.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Jurgen Klinsman now thinks Manaus is a wonderful city!

He even had dinner with the mayor during his visit there.
        Well, hey, he can't change the turd of a draw we got, but he can at least shine it up a bit.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
          It will be interesting to see how much Wenger starts putting the greater financial resources to work. He's been accused in past years of not using transfer funding that was available to him, but maybe that'll change going forward and the Ozil deal was a harbinger of things to come. Certainly provides a welcome contrast to the Chelski/Man City model.
          That's why as a United fan I don't have a seering hatred for Arsenal. They try to use their younger players and be shrewd. Chelski and Al-Citeh just throw money at it. (Not that my club is completely innocent.)
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            That's why as a United fan I don't have a seering hatred for Arsenal. They try to use their younger players and be shrewd. Chelski and Al-Citeh just throw money at it. (Not that my club is completely innocent.)
            Plus of course Arsenal really haven't challenged for hardware very much in recent years. Back 10-15 years ago, Arsenal was the same, but the level of angst between the two clubs was significantly higher.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Well, no Ozil or anything for Arsenal in the transfer window. Just a crocked Swedish midfielder on loan from Moscow, who will apparently be out a couple months or so. Doesn't appear to be the greatest piece of business. At least Moscow is apparently paying the first six weeks of salary.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                Well, no Ozil or anything for Arsenal in the transfer window. Just a crocked Swedish midfielder on loan from Moscow, who will apparently be out a couple months or so. Doesn't appear to be the greatest piece of business. At least Moscow is apparently paying the first six weeks of salary.
                Hold on... your team signed the best young playmaker in the world over the summer, paying a massive fee in the process, and you're... complaining that they didn't do so *again* this window? Seriously?
                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  Hold on... your team signed the best young playmaker in the world over the summer, paying a massive fee in the process, and you're... complaining that they didn't do so *again* this window? Seriously?
                  Uh, no. That's why I said Ozil or anything. I didn't expect another signing on that level, but just something to meet some fairly apparent needs as Arsenal tries to continue their unexpected run at the title. I'm saying Arsenal had several significant needs, particularly another forward so we don't have to rely on Bendtner backing up Giroud, and all they did was sign an injured midfielder. Supposedly they are at a point where they have more money available for transfers, and they didn't use any to meet their needs, as has often been Wenger's way over the years.
                  Very well, said.
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Arsenal...the Atlanta Braves of the EPL. Always in the playoffs, never the winner.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      Arsenal...the Atlanta Braves of the EPL. Always in the playoffs, never the winner.
                      Playoffs??
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Playoffs??
                        http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+an+analogy%3F#seen
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Quite the beating today at Anfield.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+an+analogy%3F#seen
                            There was also the NBC commercial when they interviewed the American BPL manager and he talked about playoffs. When he found out the BPL didn't have playoffs, he was happy.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                              Quite the beating today at Anfield.
                              Yah.
                              Very well, said.
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X