This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXV - the run up to the World Cup

Not a big fan of club soccer, but maybe I'll start following Swansea after today. Usually I lightly follow Everton due to Howard, but I could get behind Swansea with the whole underdog/Wales thing they have going on.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So when do the fire Van Gaal posts start?
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
        So when do the fire Van Gaal posts start?
        Start?

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/94916880027/louis-van-gaal-gets-david-moyes-treatment-following

Comment

I swear, Premier League Live on NBCSN is 90% commercials.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I had never before heard about Tim Howard having Tourette's Syndrome until I saw this article.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Not a big fan of club soccer, but maybe I'll start following Swansea after today. Usually I lightly follow Everton due to Howard, but I could get behind Swansea with the whole underdog/Wales thing they have going on.
              My wife spent a year in Wales; we've adopted Swansea as our jointly-held team.

Palace tried their best (or perhaps Arsenal tried their best to lose) -- heartbreaking to drop the point. I seem to have doomed another club with my fandom (first Fulham, now this tire fire).
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Julio Caesar abruptly leaves QPR and signs with Benefica.
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I... holy crap. Anyone ever hear of Calcio Fiorentino, also known as Calcio Storico, described as a precursor to modern football/soccer? This is, without a doubt, the most ludicrous sport I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiKOhGpQPD4

It's, like, a cross between rugby and lightly-officiated MMA, played 27-on-27 in a giant field of sand. My favorite part is how one guy gets attacked by a bunch of opponents, apparently within the rules of the game, right after he scores the game's only goal (start at 8:30 of the clip or so), apparently within the rules, but most of the time they don't seem to actually be trying to do anything with the ball, just punching and kicking each other.
                  Cornell University Men's Hockey
                  NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                  Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    I... holy crap. Anyone ever hear of Calcio Fiorentino, also known as Calcio Storico, described as a precursor to modern football/soccer? This is, without a doubt, the most ludicrous sport I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiKOhGpQPD4

It's, like, a cross between rugby and lightly-officiated MMA, played 27-on-27 in a giant field of sand. My favorite part is how one guy gets attacked by a bunch of opponents, apparently within the rules of the game, right after he scores the game's only goal (start at 8:30 of the clip or so), apparently within the rules, but most of the time they don't seem to actually be trying to do anything with the ball, just punching and kicking each other.
                    The Cheap Seats (still the greatest thing ESPN ever made) guys riffed on it, but it's freaking brutal. An event like this could never happen in the U.S.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Some guy kicked it over the barrier, and the other team got half a point. Then another guy was kicking the crap out of someone, then just stopped, let the guy get up, and led him back to his team's wall before going back to fight someone else.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Balotelli to Liverpool for 26 million.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

More like BaLOLotelli to LOLiverpool, amirite?
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            Balotelli to Liverpool for 26 million.
                            Pounds, euros or dollars??
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Pounds, euros or dollars??
                              Dollars.
                              16 million pounds
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Well Guzan will get his shot now that Howard has announced he's taking a year off with the National team.
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X