Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part III: Maximum Overdrivel

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Have there been any boxing matches at the HFH in recent years? I know that Mike Tyson had a couple of matches in the HFH early in his career there as well as others in the Capital District. I remember being shocked seeing the HFH (I guess still the RPI Field House) on TV at the time.
    The last one we saw there was a Tyson fight(we saw 2 but I am not sure if there were more). He fought William Hosea but I am not sure i even got into my seat when it was over in the first round. We saw his previous fight there but if I recall it was some sort of DQ in a middle round(5,6 or 7). There were other fights held there in those days(the mid 80's) but we only attended 2 of them.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      The last one we saw there was a Tyson fight(we saw 2 but I am not sure if there were more). He fought William Hosea but I am not sure i even got into my seat when it was over in the first round.
      That was the thing about watching Kid Dynamite when he was fighting in Albany, Troy, Latham, and Glens Falls - you wanted to make sure you were in the seat for the first bell because chances were pretty good the fight wasn't going to last too long.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Oh why not... from HFH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq9hmN6D64

Comment

Realize I'm a day late, but I am glad the ECAC extended Bennett's suspension. Every video I saw showed he was not only the aggressor , but actually hit Zalewski in his attempts to get to Appert. IMHO he still get off easy.

RPI has games this weekend and that has to be the focus now. Go get'em Engineers!
          GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            That was the only boxing card that I ever went to. Tyson hit Ferguson so hard with that uppercut, I thought that he broke his jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              That was the thing about watching Kid Dynamite when he was fighting in Albany, Troy, Latham, and Glens Falls - you wanted to make sure you were in the seat for the first bell because chances were pretty good the fight wasn't going to last too long.
              I recall that Jenny tried to get an autograph after one of the fights-but managers Bill Cayton and Jimmy Jacobs allowed none of that. They had iron Mike covered from all angles. Not sure but i think we drove down to the Castaways and Casey's East for dinner and drinks(could be mistaken about one of those but they both ring a bell for that evening). Often wondered what would have been the difference long term if Jacobs did not get gravely ill.

Back to hockey reality-knowing our list of suspensions for Friday-what could the lines look like? I suspect Higgs/Neal/Laliberte might see a ton of ice time.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                seems we've had this discussion before and I'll just repeat what I've said in the past. I've been to many away games in the past and I've always seen and talked with ALL the boys who weren't playing that night.
                Not sure but could there be a difference between school in session travel roster and school in break travel roster.
                Last edited by 1988; 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Back to hockey reality-knowing our list of suspensions for Friday-what could the lines look like? I suspect Higgs/Neal/Laliberte might see a ton of ice time.
                  This is the same question Without a Peer posted today. It'll be which one of Fulton or Bourbonnais plays, as it seems pretty safe to assume McGowan will get back in. Personally, I'd the following, but what really matters is what the coaching staff thinks.

15-17-9
                  14-23-7
                  27-26-28
                  12-21-18

The biggest thing I'd like to see is Bourbonnais get a good amount of ice time. Of the freshman, he's supposed to have the most offensive skill, so it be a good game to see it happen. Could honestly see anything tomorrow night

Comment

Ed Weaver pontificates http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...h-country-trip
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                      This is the same question Without a Peer posted today. It'll be which one of Fulton or Bourbonnais plays, as it seems pretty safe to assume McGowan will get back in. Personally, I'd the following, but what really matters is what the coaching staff thinks.

15-17-9
                      14-23-7
                      27-26-28
                      12-21-18

The biggest thing I'd like to see is Bourbonnais get a good amount of ice time. Of the freshman, he's supposed to have the most offensive skill, so it be a good game to see it happen. Could honestly see anything tomorrow night
                      Normally I would agree with Bourbonnais, but we are going to be playing defensemen with little experience. I would think that the third and fourth lines will be asked to be even more defense minded than usual. I think we will be playing someone who will be able to help out on defense.
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Was thinking also that we might see a one-night-only return of the NHL line, only with a different H. Problem is, after that, things get pretty thin. Bubela needs to be with some playmakers, but could he be a centerpiece for a decent scoring line with guys like Wood and Schroeder?
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Not sure the best thread to catch 1988, but his SLU pick needs to change before puck drop tonight.
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                            I'm not convinced Bourbonnais has the offensive skill alone that is being perpetrated, and not just because of him not playing, but also based on what was seen in juniors, and I do mean seen, not just box scores. What we saw in the box scores was, IMO, a culmination of the right linemates opening him up. Does Higgs provide him that chemistry to get him on the score sheet? Obviously we'll find out tonight assuming your lineup is correct, or whomever we go with.

Also, I don't recall DeVito being on the suspension list. Why wouldn't you include him? He has been great for us, especially when keeping him with Jake Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              Not sure the best thread to catch 1988, but his SLU pick needs to change before puck drop tonight.
                              Rep provides a message notification up top. Perhaps reach him that way?

Comment

One thing that I really liked from last weekend was the boys willing to sacrifice and block some shots. In particular wanted to point out #23 and others who did that. Scotty played well this past weekend but team d was much, much better. Important to block the shots because scotty is butterfly guy. I thought #4 had an outstanding weekend as well. Go Red!!!!
                                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Working...
                                X