Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part III: Maximum Overdrivel

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
    That being said, not the worst effort I've seen from RPI this season at all. They need to tighten the screws on special teams play. And they need to not do what I call the "Polacek PP": pass the puck to Polacek and he'll put it in the net. Substitute "Haggerty" for "Polacek" and you have the modern version, taking four or five of the same shot on the man advantage and wondering why it doesn't go in.
    I'd argue that if this IS what they want to do, having five forwards out on the PP is superfluous. Set him up with Laliberte and either Higgs or Zalewski and then throw Leonard and Bokenfohr on the points. At least then you've got fallback if the puck is turned over. Seems like with five forwards out there, a turnover is almost 50/50 leading to odd-man rushes shorthanded for the other team.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Great, succinct post EHF. As I've said before, I've been a critic at times and have been as frustrated as anyone, but that was a well played game last night...too bad others can't admit when the team plays well, which in any balanced view, they did (again referring back to the Union parents sitting behind me ).

Hockey, especially playoff hockey, like most sports is a game of momentum swings...you're rarely if ever going to dominate play for an ENTIRE game - esp in the playoffs.
      Also couldn't agree more, why burn energy for the inevitable second game when you're sailing on a three-goal lead?

I know that has burned us in the past, see the home game against Cornell, but...
      Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        I'd argue that if this IS what they want to do, having five forwards out on the PP is superfluous. Set him up with Laliberte and either Higgs or Zalewski and then throw Leonard and Bokenfohr on the points. At least then you've got fallback if the puck is turned over. Seems like with five forwards out there, a turnover is almost 50/50 leading to odd-man rushes shorthanded for the other team.
        Agree. If anything, put some D men at the point who have a nasty slapper or can nail a good one-timer and you've got some serious power play mojo going on.

Comment

Absolutely-JL is valuable in many ways but for certain he has the ability to make more room for other players. And he will find them if they get open. You do not get all those assists for nothing. Personally I like him on a line with Haggerty as often as I can get it. Haggerty has the shot, no doubt about it-but it is better when he is open 15 feet from the goal than when he takes it from the point. I have never been a fan of 5 forwards on the PP ever and I am not even sure i like 4 forwards out there. It is bad enough to not score with the man advantage-but it is usually the game changing event when you give up a short handed goal.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
            Or #4, Haggerty could not possible continue to score at that pace. He did ok last night though.
            Not sure anyone could have continued to score at the pace he wstarted with this year. But credit other teams for adjusting and understanding that if they stop him, they usually stop us. Question-when he was on that early season tear of scoring, who were his linemates then? Was it the exact line we are seeing now?

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Not sure anyone could have continued to score at the pace he wstarted with this year. But credit other teams for adjusting and understanding that if they stop him, they usually stop us. Question-when he was on that early season tear of scoring, who were his linemates then? Was it the exact line we are seeing now?
              Haggs/McGowan/JL early....then Haggs/Z/Neal......Haggs/Higgs/Neal....and looks like Haggs/Higgs/Z started the weekend vs Dartmouth and Union.
              Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                the weekend vs Dartmouth and Union.
                Slight at all the Union fans that showed up last night? :P

Comment

AMEN! At one point last night, Hags and JL were on the point and I was waiting for the rush up ice....not the duo I want as "first responders "
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    Haggs/McGowan/JL early....then Haggs/Z/Neal......Haggs/Higgs/Neal....and looks like Haggs/Higgs/Z started the weekend vs Dartmouth and Union.
                    Thanks Turk. I will try to go back and see Haggerty's goals per game with each pairing to look for some sort of pattern. I have just never been a fan of putting all your finishers on one line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                      Well now that you described the 1st period how about the rest of the game? We played very well in the 1st as normal. The 2nd we started to taper off as we always do. Then in the 3rd we started to let Dartmouth get confidence heading into tonight's game is how I saw it. We took our foot off the gas pedal again with about 9 minutes left in the game and went into defensive keep away mode. I hate when we do this as it has back fired on us too many times. We should have kept the pressure on them and kept hitting them so they would not even want to step on the ice tonight. Instead we gave them hope that tonight they can win the game forcing a 3rd game tomorrow.
                      Coming from an outside POV, in the 2011 Colgate-RPI series, that's how I saw it. You blew us out of the water and won Game 1 in the first period, then we were allowed to gain confidence in the last 2, which helped us win Game 2 and then the series.
                      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

It wouldn't be RPI playoff hockey if there wasn't a Game 3.
                        Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                          It wouldn't be RPI playoff hockey if there wasn't a Game 3.
                          If this team lays down again for Seth. Fire his ***. This is getting old. I think the players get to know him after being recruited and think he is a d.......bag cause he is? The brylcreem and YouTube excuses are pathetic.just win baby!!!
                          I think there is a 3rd string goalie from Mercyhurst looking a job.
                          If I have to cancel my reservation in LP .....ugh they were favored to win the ECAC
                          Last edited by Beman; 03-08-2014, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beman View Post
                            If this team lays down again for Seth. Fire his ***. This is getting old. I think the players get to know him after being recruited and think he is a d.......cause he is?
                            Don't know what it is with this team. Too much talent to continually **** the bed as they did tonight. Dartmouth totally dominated the first 20 mins and the final 10 mins. Since October this team has been incapable of putting together consecutive games or even consecutive periods. I don't know if it is a lack of mental toughness or something else. The seniors and freshmen have contributed very little since November. If the middle two classes don't play well, this team gets dominated. Very frustrating year. Let's hope they can bounce back tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beman View Post
                              If this team lays down again for Seth. Fire his ***. This is getting old. I think the players get to know him after being recruited and think he is a d.......bag cause he is? The brylcreem and YouTube excuses are pathetic.just win baby!!!
                              I think there is a 3rd string goalie from Mercyhurst looking a job.
                              If I have to cancel my reservation in LP .....ugh they were favored to win the ECAC
                              Ding ding ding, Tell him what he has won Johnny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                                Don't know what it is with this team. Too much talent to continually **** the bed as they did tonight. Dartmouth totally dominated the first 20 mins and the final 10 mins. Since October this team has been incapable of putting together consecutive games or even consecutive periods. I don't know if it is a lack of mental toughness or something else. The seniors and freshmen have contributed very little since November. If the middle two classes don't play well, this team gets dominated. Very frustrating year. Let's hope they can bounce back tomorrow.
                                Based on past results the season is probably over but who knows they could surprise us.

Comment

Working...
                                X