Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

For the locals, MGM in Hopkins has 7 bottles of The Abyss ($20/bottle, which is the fair market price). I tried a bottle last fall, but it didn't amaze me enough to get more. I know some people really are interested in it, though.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by jen View Post
      did she use rum or brandy? brandy slush, I've heard of. rum slush, not so much. then again, I live in a state with the highest brandy consumption on the planet, so maybe brandy slush is just a WI thing. I remember my stepgrandmother making it when we were kids, but I have no idea what was in it.

my grandmother's holiday drink was grasshoppers. she served them in mini shot glasses for the kids. huh. today she would probably be arrested for that.
      This is not a brandy slush, and brandy slush is a Wisconsin thing. My future inlaws have it over the holidays, and it is pretty tasty, they live in the Milwaukee area. This punch has pineapple juice, lemon juice, cherry jello, sugar and almond extract in it, I've never had anything else like it, but it is really good, but it is quite sweet, so you have to like sweet drinks. The pineapple juice makes it pair pretty well with rum or vodka, and I prefer rum over vodka, so that is what I went with.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        For the locals, MGM in Hopkins has 7 bottles of The Abyss ($20/bottle, which is the fair market price). I tried a bottle last fall, but it didn't amaze me enough to get more. I know some people really are interested in it, though.
        You might want to tell Shirtless Guy directly, I know he was really looking for it earlier this year. If you stop by there, and pick me up a bottle, I'll trade you $10 and a bottle of Class of '88 for it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          It's 15 bucks a bottle at my corner craft beer market, obviously shipping down to CA is cheaper than going across to MN, still surprised it's that much of a difference though. Love the 'best after' date on the bottle.

Had a 12oz bottle of Bourbon County Coffee Stout last night, super tasty. A 4-pack of those is 28 bucks here, definitely worth it, IMO.
          Old Monster Records

Comment

The Shellback Silver is essentially Captain. Tasted the same to me which means it tasted like college.

I'll put it with the flavored/spiced rums. Don't get me wrong, it's fine and gets really good reviews, but it's not a traditional light rum which "silver" is often an interchangeable term for.

Had a couple Pussers & Cokes with my blackened mahi sandwich and chips for supper. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
              It's 15 bucks a bottle at my corner craft beer market, obviously shipping down to CA is cheaper than going across to MN, still surprised it's that much of a difference though. Love the 'best after' date on the bottle.

Had a 12oz bottle of Bourbon County Coffee Stout last night, super tasty. A 4-pack of those is 28 bucks here, definitely worth it, IMO.
              The BCCS is the same price here. As for The Abyss, generally the going rate for those one-offs or annuals (like the Darkness) is about $20 around here.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                You might want to tell Shirtless Guy directly, I know he was really looking for it earlier this year. If you stop by there, and pick me up a bottle, I'll trade you $10 and a bottle of Class of '88 for it.
                Alright Brent, I'll throw in a bottle of a little known beer I found at a Kwik Trip in Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Oscar's Chocolate Imperial Stout. It is really quite tasty.

Oscar's + Class of '88 + $10 for 1 bottle of The Abyss

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't remember a Moose or a Taco Johns...It was the first BRF exit, coming from Milwaukee direction, heading southwest of the interstate towards downtown.

edit: dammit Jen!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't remember a Moose or a Taco Johns...It was the first BRF exit, coming from Milwaukee direction, heading southwest of the interstate towards downtown.

edit: dammit Jen!
                    sorry. I remembered that's not a Kwik Trip. You definitely would have remembered the moose, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      sorry. I remembered that's not a Kwik Trip. You definitely would have remembered the moose, anyway.
                      Regardless, the beer is pretty good. I think it is brewed in Black River Falls.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Alright Brent, I'll throw in a bottle of a little known beer I found at a Kwik Trip in Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Oscar's Chocolate Imperial Stout. It is really quite tasty.

Oscar's + Class of '88 + $10 for 1 bottle of The Abyss
                        I'll try and check tomorrow and grab a bottle.

Comment

Opened my bottle of Indeed Hot Box Smoked Pepper Imperial Porter. This stuff has some aggressive flavor. Smoke is the most prominent, with the hot peppers right behind it. Definitely not for everyone, as I'm thinking quite a few people would not like this stuff. I do like it, but I like some crazy stuff. It has a pretty spicy aftertaste, the most spice I've had in a beer.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Peppery heat might redeem it. I generally hate smoked beers - taste like ham, which I love, but not in my beer.

I bought some Mt. Gay Extra Old Rum today. Haven't had any in a couple of a years, forgot it's good - the whiskey of rums.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Peppery heat might redeem it. I generally hate smoked beers - taste like ham, which I love, but not in my beer.

I bought some Mt. Gay Extra Old Rum today. Haven't had any in a couple of a years, forgot it's good - the whiskey of rums.
                              The smoke it has is a chipotle pepper smoke flavor.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The smoke it has is a chipotle pepper smoke flavor.
                                There's a good chance I'd like that. Love chipotle.

Comment

Working...
                                X