Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

So I updated my rum list on a rum board that I occasionally go to and figured I'd just go ahead and copy/paste it here too:

I break them into blenders, mixers, high end mixers and neats/rocks:

BLENDERS (frozen drinks and rum punch)

Cruzan Light
    Cruzan Gold
    Cruzan 151
    Coruba Dark
    Shellback Spiced

MIXERS (with Coke or fruit juice)

Pusser's British Navy
    Flora de Caña Extra Dry Light 4 yr
    Plantation 5 yr Barbados
    Plantation 3 Stars Light
    Tortuga Gold
    Cruzan Black Strap

HIGH END MIXERS (a few of these are worthy of also enjoying neat)

Kirk & Sweeney 12 yr
    Diplomatica Reserva Exclusiva
    Phraya Gold
    Flora de Caña Gran Reserva 7 yr
    Don Pancho Origenes Reserva 8 yr
    Sea Wynde Pot Still Rum
    Angostura 7 yr
    Cruzan Single Barrel
    Yahara Bay Light (Small distillery in Madison, WI)
    Plantation Old Reserve 2000 - Jamaica
    Pyrat XO Reserve
    Old Port

NEAT/ROCKS (too good to be mixed)

Dictador 20 yr Solera
    Plantation 20 Year Anniversary
    Pusser's 15 yr
    Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
    Ron Zacapa Centenario (23 Solero)
    Matusalem Gran Reserva 18 yr

The last rum out there that I still have my sights on (at the moment) and can actually afford is the Angostura 1919. Being a completist, doubt I'll wait too long.

Of course I cheated and tried little samples of all of my new arrivals and each one seems to be great. I'm currently enjoying a full sample of the Dictador 20yr and it's vaulted right to the top of the list. Truly the best I have. Glad it lived up to the reviews and my hopes and expectations. Was really looking forward to this one.

Should have grabbed 2 bottles...
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Backwoods Bastard has been around for about a week. It goes fast though. 8 should be coming out to more places Monday.
      I don't have the 8 or BB yet, they are just reserved, so to speak, when my store gets it. For some reason, this area is a little behind on getting stuff. The stores around here didn't get Darkness until the Friday of release week, not the Monday that was widely reported, etc.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Had a few new beers this week

Wednesday before the Wings Rangers game I had

Ragin B**ch Ipa Okay not much of a bite for an IPA and a little bit hoppy
        Southampton Double White Pretty good White Wheat beer

Yesterday Had

Sraffe Hendrick Brugs Quadupel This got great Ratebeer.com ratings but it was an okay Belgian beer didn't think it was bad but for the price probably wouldn't get it again.

Allagash Curieux They age this in Jim Beam barrels but it doesn't have nearly as much as a bourbon taste in it as The Goose Island Bourbon barrel stout. good beer

Troegs Dream Weaver A very good Hefe

Speakeasy Vendetta Pretty hoppy IPA did not like it as much as some of their other IPA's

Anderson Valley Keebarlin OK Pale Ale have definitely had better from this brewery
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Tried a Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout, on tap at the Campfire Grill, Bridgton ME. Nice combination of two legendary RI products (okay, maybe only the Autocrat Coffee syrup is legendary!). Very smooth. I'd definitely order it again.
          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Cracked one of my Darkness today. A little boozy, and packs a punch. I'm used to heavy beers, but this one seemed to hit a little harder than the norm. VERY tasty. I think 9-12 months would serve my other bottle quite right. Let the flavors blend a bit more.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Getting a chance to try out a few of the new arrivals during the Packer and Hawks games.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - have to say I'm a bit disappointed in this one. It is universally loved (based on reviews) and was the highest rated of all the rums I just got. Meh... not bad, but I already possessed several rums that I like better.

Pharaya - this one is intriguing. It's from Thailand and I have to say it's quite interesting. Very good.

Comment

Short's Brewing Co Local's Light.

Got off work last night, went to the pub, saw the tap, thought it looked good enough to try, and it was. I didn't want anything too heavy last night and this fit the bill perfectly.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Now...

Matusalem 18yr - another really good one.

**** if I'm not enjoying the hell out of the Packers and Hawks tonight.

Comment

Woo hoo!

Lit up on a Sunday night!

Usually I get bored during a blowout, but this is over the Bears.

Santa Teresa 1796 - another winner.

My collection used to be thin at the high end. That is no longer the case.

I was sober at 6:00. That is no longer the case.

Luckily, I don't work till afternoon tomorrow.

Comment

Friday's night beer selection:

Lakefront Eastside Dark Lager
                      Left Hand Nitro Stout
                      Summit Saga
                      Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
                      Bell's Imperial Stout

Saturday:
                      Miller Lite
                      Coors Light
                      New Glarus Moon Man

In the car back to Minnesota:
                      New Glarus Spotted Cow
                      New Glarus Black Top
                      Lakefront Eastside
                      Coors Light
                      Originally posted by Skeeterman
                      Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                      "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

So there actually is a decent brewery in DC... Three Stars had a tap takeover at my local exotic beer place and the 3 of 4 I had was pretty good. After assembling a futon I decided to get out of my apartment for the first time since Friday to check out their physical location. They didn't have many more on draft (of the 4 at the bar they were pour two of those and four others on tap)... but they're really doing something right. I think its taken them a little while to get there and its hard 'cause i don't go into DC bars and it takes a bit to distribute in the various states but its nice to see them get their legs under themselves. First non-brewpub inside the beltway to meet my seal of approval.

At the takeover they ran a real good brown w pecans, a very standard saison... THIS IS NOT A DIMINISHMENT... most saisons try to play up various angles and this one doesn't, and a decent porter. At their location they had the brown but on cocoa and vanilla... imo best treatment I've seen of that combo... and a very drinkable double IPA and I hate IPA. The other two, I think I can live without... but its nice to see some place coming along, finally.

edit: only negative note is that it still took me 35 minutes to get there on a Sunday with no real traffic issues so it can't be a "local" in terms of some place I'd like to stop by semi-regularly.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Picked up Clown Shoes Extremely Angry Beast, an Imperial Stout aged in bourbon and rum barrels. Looking forward to that. Really like their line of beers.

Secured a Surly 8 and Founders Backwoods Bastard 4-pack (I guess my store is only able to get one case of the Backwoods), both come out this coming week. I really love my store; they take good care of me. Also, they are on notice for the Goose Island BCS, and I will be getting 1-2 bottles of that.
                          I've heard good things about Clown Shoes and I'm hoping to snare some when I get home... apparently they themselves don't have a brewery and they're straight contract brew... which is disappointing.

Good to know backwoods bastard is out... one of the local businesses maintains a weekly blog post on the local arlington blog and mentioned it.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
                            Friday's night beer selection:

Lakefront Eastside Dark Lager
                            Left Hand Nitro Stout
                            Summit Saga
                            Breckenridge Vanilla Porter
                            Bell's Imperial Stout

Saturday:
                            Miller Lite
                            Coors Light
                            New Glarus Moon Man

In the car back to Minnesota:
                            New Glarus Spotted Cow
                            New Glarus Black Top
                            Lakefront Eastside
                            Coors Light
                            Are you playing the game Two of These Things Aren't Like the Others?
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Are you playing the game Two of These Things Aren't Like the Others?
                              No. Friday was at a bar alone. You cannot order the same beer twice there. Too many selections. Saturday I was driving so I had to behave. Then you get me in a liquor store. I spent a small fortune.
                              Originally posted by Skeeterman
                              Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Sunday, pre-game: An entire six-pack of Schlitz.

Sunday, during the game: A mini-bottle of Bacardi and a mini-bottle of Southern Comfort.

Boy, my drinking habits become a lot less interesting when football is involved.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X