Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

I have plenty of selection in the northern suburbs at the several stores I frequent. No need to drive that far south.

Enjoying a bomber of Gulden Draak. Its a Belgian Strong Ale. Very tasty.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

Depending on what I want determines where I go. Prices, selection, etc.

I am dipping into my Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale. So friggin' tasty. I actually think it's better than their Bourbon Barrel Stout, which I would pit against Goose Island's BCS. Yes, I just said that.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Depending on what I want determines where I go. Prices, selection, etc.

I am dipping into my Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale. So friggin' tasty. I actually think it's better than their Bourbon Barrel Stout, which I would pit against Goose Island's BCS. Yes, I just said that.
        The Central Waters barrel aged stuff is top notch. It doesn't get the recognition of KBS and the Goose Island stuff, but it is right there with them. I have 4 or 5 of each of the stout and scotch ale left in my cellar.

Moved on to an Evil Twin Yang.

Edit: on to a Nordeast. Probably my last for the night. Soon time for sleep, but then....Red Green just came on the TV...
        Last edited by bigblue_dl; 07-25-2014, 10:20 PM.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A store near me (it's located in Hopkins) has over 1000 beers, or so they say. I don't doubt them. One drawback: the vast majority are not in coolers.
          Which one is that?
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Bought a 12 of Sierra nevada's collab across America stuff... Local world of beer is doing a tap takeover for it Wednesday
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
              If you're a beer guy, you need to get to the Blue Max. They claim 1,000+ different beers in stock, and I swear the staff have tried them all. Great recommendations no matter what you're looking for. I've expanded my beer knowledge/tastes 10-fold since I started going there. Top notch stuff.

But, they do lack in liquor selection beyond the commercial brands and a few of the fancier stuff, but nothing truly high-end that you can't find elsewhere.
              I'm at the point where unless it's a mix 6 or more its hard to justify a 6 pack unless I already know i love it
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Which one is that?

US Liquors on Hwy 7/Hopkins Crossroads.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Bought a 12 of Sierra nevada's collab across America stuff... Local world of beer is doing a tap takeover for it Wednesday
                  Smoking Ribs and Chicken Wings today, so I have at least a good 6-hours of nothing but monitoring the smokebox temperature and drinking beer. Picked-up a Sierra Nevada “4-Way IPA” variety pack case at Sam’s Club to pass the time, consisting of:
                  • Blindfold (Black IPA)
                  • Torpedo (Extra IPA)
                  • Snow Wit (White IPA)
                  • Nooner (Session IPA)

Just had to tap-into this yesterday, putting-down a Blindfold and a Snow Wit. Having a preference for darker brews, the Blindfold was outstanding. Snow Wit was ‘OK’, but probably would have been better if I had that before the Blindfold! I will sequence my choices properly today.

Cheers!!!
                  ~TTF
                  Dave
                  RIT - '90

Comment

Beautiful night on the deck...

Started around 5 with a couple of BBCs (Lt. rum, Bailey's, Cocc water, a banana and added Kahlua) and then moved on to Cockspur & Coke as I wanted to kill the bottle - which I did.

Now having the Sea Wynde navy rum (that I picked up in Minny - Really a nice navy rum - like Pusser's, only better) & Coke while listening to the end of a Dead show as the sun goes down.

You know our love will not fade away...

Comment

Gurtholfin – Been meaning to ask you for quite some time, as your rum palate appears to be quite refined... have you ever had Palo Viejo, and if so... where would you rank it? Having spent a significant amount of time in Puerto Rico in my prior years, this (dark) became my rum of choice when there. Always brought-back a few bottles when necessary during my visits. Cheap, smooth, and IMHO way-better than that tourist-juice Bacardi (then again, what isn't?). Due to a career change, I haven’t been back to the island in over 10 years. Now I am longing for my favorite rum, and I cannot find it anywhere locally. But ‘locally’ for me sure as hell ain’t no thriving metropolis!!

As for my prior post this morning on the IPAs, Snow Wit was still ‘OK’ (I’m being nice). The rest were good (better than 'OK'), consumed in the order of Nooner, Snow Wit, Torpedo, Blindfold. Surprised that Torpedo was 7.2% by volume... went-down like water, but then again it was ‘chasing’ the Snow Wit! Blindfold is 6.8%, and just as tasty as yesterday... really enjoyed that brew.

Cheers!!!
                      ~TTF
                      Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 07-26-2014, 09:28 PM. Reason: format changes
                      Dave
                      RIT - '90

Comment

Finished the evening with Flor de Cana 12 Centenario neat - I have to say (after several forays) that this will most likely become a fairly expensive mixer for me as it has a bit more burn than some of the others I like neat. Luckily, it is quite nice with Coke.

Have to say that I won't restock it (as a mixer) when it's gone as it's too expensive for that use and the Flor de Cana 7 is great in that role for quite a bit less money.

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                          Gurtholfin – Been meaning to ask you for quite some time, as your rum palate appears to be quite refined... have you ever had Palo Viejo, and if so... where would you rank it? Having spent a significant amount of time in Puerto Rico in my prior years, this (dark) became my rum of choice when there. Always brought-back a few bottles when necessary during my visits. Cheap, smooth, and IMHO way-better than that tourist-juice Bacardi (then again, what isn't?). Due to a career change, I haven’t been back to the island in over 10 years. Now I am longing for my favorite rum, and I cannot find it anywhere locally. But ‘locally’ for me sure as hell ain’t no thriving metropolis!!
                          Ahh.. I wouldn't go that far. While certainly not a noob, I'm still figuring it all out. What I am though is very enthusiastic about rum and looking for more and more to try. I find that the more I try, the more knowledgeable I feel like I am - maybe not about rum per se, but about what I like in rum.

Been drinking and enjoying various rums for 20 years now, but have only recently - last 5 years - gotten into the (ultra) premium rums. Some I've really liked, some I'm like what!?!?

Anyway, I have only had the Palo Viejo Anejo at a bar in St. Thomas on the bartenders rec and my impression was that it was quite good. That's how I remember it. He went on and on about how it was what the locals over there (where he was from) drank and that Bacardi sucks and on and on. He was correct... it was/is better than Bacardi.

I've never seen it here and the couple of sites that I've been looking at for online sales don't carry it.

There are so many rums... how am I ever gonna try them all?
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-26-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Gurt: I feel the same way about bourbon and scotch.

As for Bacardi? I don't know crap about rum, but I know that I'd rather have a Bud Light than Bacardi. Just sayin'.

Comment

As for Bacardi? I don't know crap about rum, but I know that I'd rather have a Bud Light than Bacardi. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I've come around to that way of thinking. I only have Bacardi Select remaining and it's in the pantry to be used as a cooking dark rum.

The long and short is that I don't have to accept (barely) acceptable - which is what Bacardi is. I have so many better mixers that there will never be a time when I reach for Bacardi again.

I actually dumped out the remainder of the Bac light that I had on hand mostly for guests who might want it. I have other light rums that they can try instead and maybe I can show them the error of their ways.

It's gonna suck when high school hockey season starts again and I have to go to the bars with the crap-tatstic collections. Hopefully they'll have a decent Canadian or Irish Whiskey for me.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-27-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Yeah, I've come around to that way of thinking. I only have Bacardi Select remaining and it's in the pantry to be used as a cooking dark rum.

The long and short is that I don't have to accept (barely) acceptable - which is what Bacardi is.

It's gonna suck when high school hockey season starts again and I have to go to the bars with the crap-tatstic collections. Hopefully they'll have a decent Canadian or Irish Whiskey for me.
                                Pendleton, Crown, Power, Jameson are the minimums in that regard. Redbreast for a good premium Irish.

Comment

Working...
                                X