Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome!

And, GO!
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

To start off the new thread, I'll mention that the local beer store has a list for hard to find beers. People on the list get called when the good stuff comes, and get first dibs. Needless to say, I'm on the list for KBS and The Abyss, two that I would really like to get my hands on. Next time I'm there I need to think of some others I'd like to put my name down for.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Re: Drinking Thread: Beer, Whiskey, Rum, Vodka, Wine - Raise a Glass, All Are Welcome

I like drinking.

Edit: I suppose I should contribute something more significant than that. I was shopping for beer to bring to a friend's place for dinner and football-watching a few weeks ago at this awesome beer store in my neighborhood. Wound up picking out a large-format Ommegang Three Philosophers and a couple of six-packs of more "normal" beers (I think it was Brooklyn Winter Ale and Shiner Bock) and on the way to the register I passed by the display in front where they had four-packs of various Goose Island Bourbon County offerings, which I've read some good stuff about, along with a sign saying there was a limit of two four-packs per customer. I grabbed a four-pack of the barleywine, which is a style I enjoy. Imagine my surprise when my impulse buy rang up at $34 for a four-pack! Wound up (selfishly, I admit) not bringing it to the party. Shared two of the four bottles with my wife so far, and it's AMAZING. I don't know that I'd buy it again since there are lots of other beers out there and money is finite, but I'd definitely recommend it if you have the chance.
      Last edited by jmh; 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

How about this? http://wtop.com/1228/3550687/Guide-H...-Scout-cookies
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          I like drinking.

Edit: I suppose I should contribute something more significant than that. I was shopping for beer to bring to a friend's place for dinner and football-watching a few weeks ago at this awesome beer store in my neighborhood. Wound up picking out a large-format Ommegang Three Philosophers and a couple of six-packs of more "normal" beers (I think it was Brooklyn Winter Ale and Shiner Bock) and on the way to the register I passed by the display in front where they had four-packs of various Goose Island Bourbon County offerings, which I've read some good stuff about, along with a sign saying there was a limit of two four-packs per customer. I grabbed a four-pack of the barleywine, which is a style I enjoy. Imagine my surprise when my impulse buy rang up at $34 for a four-pack! Wound up (selfishly, I admit) not bringing it to the party. Shared two of the four bottles with my wife so far, and it's AMAZING. I don't know that I'd buy it again since there are lots of other beers out there and money is finite, but I'd definitely recommend it if you have the chance.
          The local place that I go to just sells them as single bottles at $6.99/each for the Goose Island BC... Not a cheap choice and why I've put off sampling it...
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            The local place that I go to just sells them as single bottles at $6.99/each for the Goose Island BC... Not a cheap choice and why I've put off sampling it...
            That is about right for a bottle. The KBS is the same way. There's one store that has a list, but they don't get much. My local store doesn't have a list, but if I want something, they have saved it for me and then some (example: I got the GI BCS, and they set aside a bottle of the Abyss on a hunch that I wanted one; I did). They know I want ALL the KBS I can get, so hopefully I'll get more than one or two bottles.

Found a stash of Darkness tonight (Big Top Liquor by Ridgedale for the locals). Bought 3 bottles (one for the woman, one for dx since he hasn't found any, and a backup bottle for me since I already have one).
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              That is about right for a bottle. The KBS is the same way. There's one store that has a list, but they don't get much. My local store doesn't have a list, but if I want something, they have saved it for me and then some (example: I got the GI BCS, and they set aside a bottle of the Abyss on a hunch that I wanted one; I did). They know I want ALL the KBS I can get, so hopefully I'll get more than one or two bottles.

Found a stash of Darkness tonight (Big Top Liquor by Ridgedale for the locals). Bought 3 bottles (one for the woman, one for dx since he hasn't found any, and a backup bottle for me since I already have one).
              ****. I was just out in search of Darkness. I found a local store that supposedly had it, got there and they sold their last one 2 hours before I got there. I stopped at another store on the way home, just to check, and they were out too. I got the business card of the owner at the first store, so I could email him what I'm interested in, and he can keep me in the loop, and I got put on the mailing list for the other, which they use to announce when they get different brews, along with tastings and such.

I will find it somewhere....

My list of stuff I'm looking for (some of this is out of season, and can't be found right now, I beleive):
              KBS
              Goose Island Bourbon County ________ (I'd like to try more than just the stout)
              Deschutes Abyss
              Surly Pentagram
              Surly Darkness
              Surly Seviin (probably won't be getting this one)
              .....and a few others that I'm not thinking of right now

I do have about 10 bottles of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout, and Dragons Milk Bourbon Barrel, so that will hold me over for a little while.

edit: Also found another bottle of Dark Island Reserve....so **** tempting...

edit2: Apparently Bricks Pub in Blaine has Bourbon County Stout....ON TAP
              Last edited by bigblue_dl; 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Big Top by Ridgedale has 3-4 more bottles of the Darkness.
                US Liquor on Hwy 7/Hopkins Crossroads has 4 bottles of that Dark Island Reserve (also tempted, especially since our bottles were bottled in Nov '12, these are Apr '12).
                GI BCS anything is gone around here. I got 2 bottles of the BCS Coffee, traded one for the original BCS, both are phenomenal.
                I have one more bottle of SeVIIN, which MdD and I will have at the B1G Mistake tailgate, so can't help you there.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Subscribed because I'm literally fallover drunk right now. I'm really not.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

This will be my first sober night in a week.

I need the break. Tired.

Comment

All these bourbon beers/stouts, are they aged in bourbon barrels?
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I gave in and just drove to the liquor store Brent recommended at lunch time and picked up some Darkness. I figured it would be me last chance for a year, and didn't want to miss it. Bought 2 bottles, one for now, one to age. Also picked up Surly Smoke. I remember hearing something about it, don't remember it was, but decided to give it a try regardless.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          All these bourbon beers/stouts, are they aged in bourbon barrels?
                          Yes. I think the standard for the really good ones is a year aging. What's interesting about the Dark Island Reserve, as far as I can tell, after bottling, they still let it sit a year or so before it hits the shelves. I had never heard of the beer before bbdl bought a bottle (it's about $40 for a bomber). Hand-bottled, and I think this "edition" of the brew only has 3100 bottles, IIRC. Also has the date of the bottling on the label. Hence, the month/date I mentioned in the previous posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Yes. I think the standard for the really good ones is a year aging. What's interesting about the Dark Island Reserve, as far as I can tell, after bottling, they still let it sit a year or so before it hits the shelves. I had never heard of the beer before bbdl bought a bottle (it's about $40 for a bomber). Hand-bottled, and I think this "edition" of the brew only has 3100 bottles, IIRC. Also has the date of the bottling on the label. Hence, the month/date I mentioned in the previous posts.
                            Yeah, I think the Dark Island Reserve is pretty special. It is really one of the best beers I've ever tasted, and it is pretty rare worldwide, from what I can tell. For what its worth, the Dark Island Reserve, a few of the bourbon barrel aged beers, and the barrel aged irish red from Hammerheart are my favorite beers that I've ever tried. I still think the Hammerheart Barrel Aged Peated Irish Red is my all-time favorite.

Tried a Sierra Nevada Narwhal (2013) tonight, which I got as part of a build-your-own 6er. Excellent beer. Highly recommended if you like a good Imperial Stout.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Yeah, I think the Dark Island Reserve is pretty special. It is really one of the best beers I've ever tasted, and it is pretty rare worldwide, from what I can tell. For what its worth, the Dark Island Reserve, a few of the bourbon barrel aged beers, and the barrel aged irish red from Hammerheart are my favorite beers that I've ever tried. I still think the Hammerheart Barrel Aged Peated Irish Red is my all-time favorite.

Tried a Sierra Nevada Narwhal (2013) tonight, which I got as part of a build-your-own 6er. Excellent beer. Highly recommended if you like a good Imperial Stout.
                              The Narwhal is excellent. I buy that when I want a Dragon's Milk, but don't want to spend double the money for a 4-pack. And I think I may buy 1-2 of those 4 bottles of the Dark Island Reserve I mentioned earlier. That way I'd have 3 bottles, and can have one a year and compare.

Comment

Working...
                              X