X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA: Exciting Things Ahead!

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    Just saw that Jordan Kwas has signed with the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL
    Hey Viz! Yup, this was on the local news tonight. Kinda surprised the Aces didn't snatch him up.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      The ticket prices themselves didn't go up, its just that the perks that went along with them are now being sold separately. They had been giving away the farm for years. I mean, for $1000 you could get two tickets (one free) and that included parking and passes to both booster rooms. The meals in the Kendall were great, with free beer and wine. Then UAA threw in a $50 gift card to shop at the UAA bookstore on top of it. All said, they were probably losing several hundred dollars on each of those season ticket packages.
      UAA paid for each parking pass and the gift cards was to get you on campus and check out the bookstore and buy your own clothing as the booster club quit giving out a coat or shirt.
      The “Chairman’s Room formally the Kendall room, and founded as the Nye Room. Was started and fully funded by The Nye’s the dealership was sold and the Kendall group funded for a few years and decided that was not them. So UAA took it on and tried to get a food sponsor and they found one the user, so they decided the booster will sponsor himself. What no more free stuff….have to pay for what I want?
      Have to pony up for the kids to; a Sprit’s SeaPups club card and a booster pass…… But the little pop chugging, chip and cookie eating machines will have their own “reserved club section “ to sit in during the game so when you toss in the “Free babysitting at the Sully" it pretty well a wash. ….. Sign me up
      Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 08-28-2014, 03:44 AM.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        UAA paid for each parking pass and the gift cards was to get you on campus and check out the bookstore and buy your own clothing as the booster club quit giving out a coat or shirt.
        The “Chairman’s Room formally the Kendall room, and founded as the Nye Room. Was started and fully funded by The Nye’s the dealership was sold and the Kendall group funded for a few years and decided that was not them. So UAA took it on and tried to get a food sponsor and they found one the user, so they decided the booster will sponsor himself. What no more free stuff….have to pay for what I want?
        Have to pony up for the kids to; a Sprit’s SeaPups club card and a booster pass…… But the little pop chugging, chip and cookie eating machines will have their own “reserved club section “ to sit in during the game so when you toss in the “Free babysitting at the Sully" it pretty well a wash. ….. Sign me up
        I don't have a problem with the new system. I heard that UAA was losing $600 on those packages. It's a shame that the Kendall group decided not to be a sponsor of the booster room, so why did the room still bear their name? When did it become the Chairman's room? Is that new for this season? So many questions, inquiring minds want to know!
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Quick question, is there any reason the tourney in anchorage isn't available for purchase? I looked on Ticketmaster and can't find anything, will it be available once the season starts?

Comment

When did it become the Chairman's room? Is that new for this season? So many questions, inquiring minds want to know!
            Dam I scooped Suze………. who has more connections than a old school telephone operator.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
              Quick question, is there any reason the tourney in anchorage isn't available for purchase? I looked on Ticketmaster and can't find anything, will it be available once the season starts?
              I can't help you. Why don't you send an email to someone in the athletic dept at UAA? I know you're anxious to come to Anchorage, and I don't blame you. _airbanks has nearly reached the record for summer rainfall.
              Last edited by Suze; 08-29-2014, 01:08 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I can't help you. Why don't you send an email to someone in the athletic dept at UAA? I know you're anxious to come to Anchorage, and I don't blame you. _airbanks has nearly reached the record for summer rainfall.
                I enjoy the rain...and the cold and the snow, hence why I live in Fairbanks. So no, not anxious...I just like planning ahead, making the trip down and getting the heck out as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                  I enjoy the rain...and the cold and the snow, hence why I live in Fairbanks. So no, not anxious...I just like planning ahead, making the trip down and getting the heck out as soon as possible.
                  Geepers, I'm losing my touch. Can't even rattle you any more!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                    ..... and getting the heck out as soon as possible.
                    We appreciate that.
                    If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

I don't have a problem with the new system. I heard that UAA was losing $600 on those packages. It's a shame that the Kendall group decided not to be a sponsor of the booster room, so why did the room still bear their name? When did it become the Chairman's room? Is that new for this season? So many questions, inquiring minds want to know!
                      The university loosing money on some levels of booster membership was only a component of the changing process, up to and including the need for a new system with a new arena. In the past, the room remained attached to Kendall due to contractual components and, while they weren't funding it as much as they had in the past, were still associated with some of the costs of the room. I haven't heard that the name will be changing for hockey. The Chairman's Room is typically the higher-end room for the Shootout tournament.

Comment

Since I think it indirectly affects part of the university system that we all thoroughly enjoy, please take a moment to consider signing the petition against UA President Gamble's extravagent financial bonus that the Board of Regents recently awarded. In a time where budgets on both campus' are getting increasingly more tight, and where both university's Athletic Departments are going to be under greater scrutiny financially, this is not a smart move on the part of the system and it could be a factor impacting our student-athletes down the road.

And to be politically correct, I included information from both Anchorage's and _airbanks' newspapers

"Six-figure bonus for UA president raises eyebrows amid budget cuts"

"Gamble’s performance doesn’t justify bonus"

Sign the petition here!

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post
                          Since I think it indirectly affects part of the university system that we all thoroughly enjoy, please take a moment to consider signing the petition against UA President Gamble's extravagent financial bonus that the Board of Regents recently awarded. In a time where budgets on both campus' are getting increasingly more tight, and where both university's Athletic Departments are going to be under greater scrutiny financially, this is not a smart move on the part of the system and it could be a factor impacting our student-athletes down the road.

And to be politically correct, I included information from both Anchorage's and _airbanks' newspapers

Sign the petition here!
                          Just wow. Thanks for the links. Done!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by UAA Seawolves Fan View Post

Sign the petition here!
                            Here is what I just sent to the UA Regents, the UA Prez and Veep, the three Chancellors, the UA Foundation and the Guv. Although I am now living in Colorado, after 30+ years in AK, I still keep up with the local news and, of course, still follow the Woofies... As an alumnus, I find the Board's actions totally unacceptable.

Dear University of Alaska Board of Regents Members,

As a proud alumnus of UAA and a long-time contributor to the UAA Foundation, Engineering Department and Hockey Booster Club, I am outraged by the decision to provide an excessively large bonus to University President Gamble during these times of budget cuts and fiscal restraint at all other levels of the University. As UA students struggle to make ends meet to fund their education and the UA staff is faced with dwindling resources to accomplish the educational goals of the University, the person in charge gets a six-figure bonus. How can this scenario possibly make sense?

According to information on the Board of Regents web site, "The UA Board of Regents has officially adopted the Shaping Alaska’s Future initiative as board policy". Theme 5 in this document is entitled "Accountability to the People of Alaska" and includes the following "issue statements" that need to be addressed to keep UA current and competitive in the future:

To adapt to the changing educational environment, UA needs to have "widespread faculty and staff support, commitment and leadership at every level."
                            "Alaska's forecasted fiscal conditions will increase expectations of the UA Board of Regents, legislators and other community leaders that UA will further address revenue generation, cost-effectiveness and cooperation across the UA system."
                            "...employee effectiveness and morale depend upon their own personal experiences when they need assistance from another employee or group within the university."
                            "Deferred maintenance is the UA Board of Regents' first capital priority because the risk posed by the backlog is unacceptable."

Providing a six-figure bonus for the University President at this time is completely inconsistent with the Board's stated goals to improve cost-effectiveness and address deferred maintenance projects. In addition, it undermines staff morale, as evidenced by commentary from many staff members in the local media. Leadership is certainly not emanating from the top. $320,000 would go a long way towards any of the above goals.

To be blunt, I find this action to be arrogant, elitist, fiscally irresponsible and a gross misuse of public funds. Consequently, I will not make any further contributions to the University of Alaska at any level until the Board reverses this decision and shows that it intends to act in a manner that is first and foremost responsible to the students and educational system at the University of Alaska.

Tom "thumb", PE, PMP
                            MS Arctic Engineering, 1996

(full address and contact information here)

Comment

Originally posted by tomthumb View Post
                              Here is what I just sent to the UA Regents, the UA Prez and Veep, the three Chancellors, the UA Foundation and the Guv. Although I am now living in Colorado, after 30+ years in AK, I still keep up with the local news and, of course, still follow the Woofies... As an alumnus, I find the Board's actions totally unacceptable.

Dear University of Alaska Board of Regents Members,

As a proud alumnus of UAA and a long-time contributor to the UAA Foundation, Engineering Department and Hockey Booster Club, I am outraged by the decision to provide an excessively large bonus to University President Gamble during these times of budget cuts and fiscal restraint at all other levels of the University. As UA students struggle to make ends meet to fund their education and the UA staff is faced with dwindling resources to accomplish the educational goals of the University, the person in charge gets a six-figure bonus. How can this scenario possibly make sense?

According to information on the Board of Regents web site, "The UA Board of Regents has officially adopted the Shaping Alaska’s Future initiative as board policy". Theme 5 in this document is entitled "Accountability to the People of Alaska" and includes the following "issue statements" that need to be addressed to keep UA current and competitive in the future:

To adapt to the changing educational environment, UA needs to have "widespread faculty and staff support, commitment and leadership at every level."
                              "Alaska's forecasted fiscal conditions will increase expectations of the UA Board of Regents, legislators and other community leaders that UA will further address revenue generation, cost-effectiveness and cooperation across the UA system."
                              "...employee effectiveness and morale depend upon their own personal experiences when they need assistance from another employee or group within the university."
                              "Deferred maintenance is the UA Board of Regents' first capital priority because the risk posed by the backlog is unacceptable."

Providing a six-figure bonus for the University President at this time is completely inconsistent with the Board's stated goals to improve cost-effectiveness and address deferred maintenance projects. In addition, it undermines staff morale, as evidenced by commentary from many staff members in the local media. Leadership is certainly not emanating from the top. $320,000 would go a long way towards any of the above goals.

To be blunt, I find this action to be arrogant, elitist, fiscally irresponsible and a gross misuse of public funds. Consequently, I will not make any further contributions to the University of Alaska at any level until the Board reverses this decision and shows that it intends to act in a manner that is first and foremost responsible to the students and educational system at the University of Alaska.

Tom "thumb", PE, PMP
                              MS Arctic Engineering, 1996

(full address and contact information here)
                              Well done! Lets hope our voices are heard and they do the right thing! Thanks for posting the information you dug up and the letter you sent.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Well done! Lets hope our voices are heard and they do the right thing! Thanks for posting the information you dug up and the letter you sent.
                                It is with sad news that Dr Steve Cobb died in Florida. It is a sad day.

Comment

Working...
                                X