Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Originally posted by ibanezist00
    While I understand the point you are trying to make, please speak for your own team.
    I am grateful that Bennett is Unions coach and not RPI's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nottme View Post
      I am grateful that Bennett is Unions coach and not RPI's.
      We can agree on that.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        How idiotic is that? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the 4 games but with the timing. Was it a typo? Did something get worse in the past 24 hours? Did the NCAA jump in? Obviously the league didn't think this through from the outset and who can be surprised given our commissioner? It's like a judge sentencing a defendant to be executed and then two days later saying "oh yeah, and then we are going to execute you again." It's a second black eye and reopening a wound for the league and will provide a rehash in the media just as it was beginning to recede.
        I am stunned at the ineptitude of the ECAC. This is akin to the ref changing the call he made because the fans are booing him. I don't disagree that 4 games is more appropriate and a game or two for Appert, but reversing a decision 48 hours after a press release....that's a joke.

Knowing how things work in the ECAC, my guess is other coaches were consulted and/or complained. My money is on Rand Pecknold, but that is just speculation on my part. I am sure there have been plenty of phone calls between Albany and the league coaches and AD's.

Even their release is wrong and they don't seem to know the schedule as it says SA will be suspended for SLU, but they play Clarkson on Friday and Union is at SLU. Just shocking incompetence. It's also not a great showing for Paul Stewart's nephew Chip as he reffed that game and only got 50% of the 'suspendable' offenses called. Not surprised at all by what they missed.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I'm 100% fine with the added suspension and don't really care that it took the league more time to get there. Media and public perception is important and I think there were a lot of people out there in college hockey circles and beyond, myself included, that were surprised by only the 2 game suspension. This is more appropriate, sends a firmer message about the seriousness of the situation, and hopefully will put this episode to bed once and for all. I had been concerned that with the continued public discussion of all this that Union's Board of Directors or some such would get involved and come down with something more. This should essentially let Union off the hook to have to do more.

For me, its been painful reading the Zapruder-like analyses of "video evidence" in the last 72 hours, and as much as I can get over Bodie making a stupid mistake in the heat of battle, I've had a hard time reconciling Bennett's actions. This was much more than just a coach pointing a finger and yelling at someone or perhaps bumping a ref. He tried to punch people. He's a big guy and could have done some really serious damage. If that had happened there could have been another Harkness-like implosion of the program. Thankfully that didn't happen, but there is no way any coach from Union or any other school should ever be in that kind of situation. A big part of the pride I've had the past 3-4 years watching Union is that I always felt that in addition to being a successful team, the players & coaches were good people that represented the school well and did things the right way. My confidence in that got punctured quite a bit on Saturday and I would like to get it back. Hopefully this is the end of this ugly episode and that Union's players & coaches have learned a hard lesson.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
            I'm 100% fine with the added suspension and don't really care that it took the league more time to get there. Media and public perception is important and I think there were a lot of people out there in college hockey circles and beyond, myself included, that were surprised by only the 2 game suspension. This is more appropriate, sends a firmer message about the seriousness of the situation, and hopefully will put this episode to bed once and for all. I had been concerned that with the continued public discussion of all this that Union's Board of Directors or some such would get involved and come down with something more. This should essentially let Union off the hook to have to do more.

For me, its been painful reading the Zapruder-like analyses of "video evidence" in the last 72 hours, and as much as I can get over Bodie making a stupid mistake in the heat of battle, I've had a hard time reconciling Bennett's actions. This was much more than just a coach pointing a finger and yelling at someone or perhaps bumping a ref. He tried to punch people. He's a big guy and could have done some really serious damage. If that had happened there could have been another Harkness-like implosion of the program. Thankfully that didn't happen, but there is no way any coach from Union or any other school should ever be in that kind of situation. A big part of the pride I've had the past 3-4 years watching Union is that I always felt that in addition to being a successful team, the players & coaches were good people that represented the school well and did things the right way. My confidence in that got punctured quite a bit on Saturday and I would like to get it back. Hopefully this is the end of this ugly episode and that Union's players & coaches have learned a hard lesson.
            Not that anyone here needs my validation, but that was a great post, well said!
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
              I am stunned at the ineptitude of the ECAC. This is akin to the ref changing the call he made because the fans are booing him. I don't disagree that 4 games is more appropriate and a game or two for Appert, but reversing a decision 48 hours after a press release....that's a joke.

Knowing how things work in the ECAC, my guess is other coaches were consulted and/or complained. My money is on Rand Pecknold, but that is just speculation on my part. I am sure there have been plenty of phone calls between Albany and the league coaches and AD's.

Even their release is wrong and they don't seem to know the schedule as it says SA will be suspended for SLU, but they play Clarkson on Friday and Union is at SLU. Just shocking incompetence. It's also not a great showing for Paul Stewart's nephew Chip as he reffed that game and only got 50% of the 'suspendable' offenses called. Not surprised at all by what they missed.
              Actually, you might be on to something. The new ECAC Commissioner - Kevin McGinniss does have close ties to QU
              http://www.ecac.org/Staff/staff/bios/Kevin_McGinniss
              From 2001-05, McGinniss served as the director of athletics development at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn. He was responsible for coordinating all fundraising for athletics, including a major component of the New Millennium Campaign - $25 million for a state-of-the-art athletics center.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Hey Union Folks:

Clarkson has invited us to join them for viewing the game on Saturday.

Union hockey fans, alumni, and friends are invited to join us at any of the locations below for a rivalry viewing party with Clarkson on February 1st. Union & Clarkson fans will have an opportunity to mingle, enjoy some good food, and get together in the spirit of competition!

There are locations around the country. Its free
                Union Alumni can sign up here
                https://secure.www.alumniconnections...form_id=167458

Event Details for Albany and Boston
                Title: Men's Hockey Viewings
                Start: February 1, 2014 7:00 PM ET
                Saturday, February 1st, 2014
                You may sign up to attend any of the locations below, as well as lots of other locations. There is no charge:

Albany, NY
                Maggie's Sports Bar
                1186 Western Ave., Albany, NY 12203

Boston, MA
                Tavern in the Square
                161 Brighton Ave., Allston, MA 02134

What a success story Clarkson has been. Picked to finish last, they have been a ranked team for most of the year. Another class act !!! (lead by their seniors I think). Here is hoping that Clarkson and all the other current ECAC teams that are ranked (6) make it into the NCAA playoffs.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2014, 06:58 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post

Agree with LTsatch...well said.

I was tired of watching these videos by mid-afternoon on Sunday. Let's again hope this is the end of it and the discussion of all of this will fade into the darkness as everyone moves forward from this.

With the mention of how both teams are staying at the Best Western in Canton, I figure either one of the teams will re-book to a different place or we'll see Joe Dumais buying Seth Appert a drink on Rick Bennett's behalf in the hotel bar.
                  Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Actually, you might be on to something. The new ECAC Commissioner - Kevin McGinniss does have close ties to QU
                    http://www.ecac.org/Staff/staff/bios/Kevin_McGinniss
                    From 2001-05, McGinniss served as the director of athletics development at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn. He was responsible for coordinating all fundraising for athletics, including a major component of the New Millennium Campaign - $25 million for a state-of-the-art athletics center.
                    FWIW, ECAC Hockey and the ECAC have been independent entities for a number of years now.
                    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      We can agree on that.
                      if he was your coach past 8 years rpi would have won a ntl championship. instead your program has become a joke and lapdogs. bad situation and regretable but if you think it has hurt rb's standing among fellow coaches than you are as clueless and schoolgirlish as you sound. appert has furthered his image as an empty suit phoney.

as said 4 years ago, rpi on the decline, union rising star.

facts speak louder than words.

union needs to move on, drop if and focus on wins. rpi is so far beneath them its a joke. wasting time focussing on or discussing them solves nothing. much bigger fish to fry. throw out the sucker fish/yellow perch and get back to tuna fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        if he was your coach past 8 years rpi would have won a ntl championship. instead your program has become a joke and lapdogs. bad situation and regretable but if you think it has hurt rb's standing among fellow coaches than you are as clueless and schoolgirlish as you sound. appert has furthered his image as an empty suit phoney.

union needs to move on, drop if and focus on wins. rpi is so far beneath them its a joke. wasting time focussing on or discussing them solves nothing. much bigger fish to fry. throw out the sucker fish/yellow perch and get back to tuna fishing
                        Man, you even virtually sucker-punch the more respected posters in this forum. Speaking of classless jokes...

I'm not sure where you get your brand of logic from, but I am sure Union fans can even agree that Appert didn't exactly "tarnish his image" with this incident -- if anyone did, it was your esteemed head coach.

Either way, I am ready to move on from this incident too, so stop bringing it up if you are as well.
                        Last edited by ibanezist00; 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM.
                        Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Just as I was ready to move on our esteemed commissioner hits the snooze on Groundhog's Day. Way to go Steve. Anyway, I think I'm ready to move on...again. To those who have posted here and expressed a degree of understanding and even sympathy, thank you. To those who have found this an opportunity to gloat and pour on the mean spirited comments, I hope the karma returns to you in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

Aspydad responds to Hokydad as Hokydad would (hope you got that)

bennett will always be pariah because of incident. worried if your kid was recruited by bennett.will always be known as “that guy” who punched kid.you can lead a horse to water but rick bennett wil punch horse. don't change horse in mid stream. never eat fish in steak house.
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                              Man, you even virtually sucker-punch the more respected posters in this forum. Speaking of classless jokes...

I'm not sure where you get your brand of logic from, but I am sure Union fans can even agree that Appert didn't exactly "tarnish his image" with this incident -- if anyone did, it was your esteemed head coach.

Either way, I am ready to move on from this incident too, so stop bringing it up if you are as well.
                              I don't know what was said/done on the ice between the coaches, but Bennett did not blatantly attack Seth for no reason.
                              Union College Hockey
                              2014 NCAA National Champions
                              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                                Aspydad responds to Hokydad as Hokydad would (hope you got that)

bennett will always be pariah because of incident. worried if your kid was recruited by bennett.will always be known as “that guy” who punched kid.you can lead a horse to water but rick bennett wil punch horse. don't change horse in mid stream. never eat fish in steak house.
                                Thanks for saving me the trouble of responding.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X