Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Round-up of what happened today with statements from the league and Union:

http://t.co/7GXB7AUkL3

The timing of it is certainly strange, considering the league supported Union's internal suspension on Monday. It's not shocking that Bennett received something from the league, just the timeline is a little strange. I thought things were settled on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      How idiotic is that? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the 4 games but with the timing. Was it a typo? Did something get worse in the past 24 hours? Did the NCAA jump in? Obviously the league didn't think this through from the outset and who can be surprised given our commissioner? It's like a judge sentencing a defendant to be executed and then two days later saying "oh yeah, and then we are going to execute you again." It's a second black eye and reopening a wound for the league and will provide a rehash in the media just as it was beginning to recede.
      Sounds more like the media believed the league didn't do enough, and therefore the league needed to add more in order to counteract further media embarrassment. I'm not going to rehash my position here like a broken record, but I'd say it's more of appealing a lenient judge that gives a rapist 30 days and that's it.

Comment

The ECAC Commissioner has ZERO backbone, he can't change his mind based off of the media and other external voices. If I'm Bennett and SA, I'm immediately filing an appeal.
        Union College Hockey
        2014 NCAA National Champions
        2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
          The ECAC Commissioner has ZERO backbone, he can't change his mind based off of the media and other external voices. If I'm Bennett and SA, I'm immediately filing an appeal.
          I would not expect SA to appeal.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            How the heck did this happen?
            I provided Paul Stewart with some additional footage taken of Rick "Mongo" Bennett outside the Times Union Center.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cDfnQD0ws
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
              Looks like the administrators from other league schools were consulted which is bs. Could you imagine if NHL GMs were consulted for suspensions? Total conflict of interest and proves the weakness of the league office.

Hagwell is inept and this further proves it. Neither school should be happy about the additional discipline. The improvements the league has made on the ice have been in spite of him. Even Atlantic Hockey gets games on national TV and Hagwell gets nothing for the ECAC.
              The statement refers to "league administrators", I'm not sure if that means other ADs does it?

Comment

The statement refers to "league administrators", I'm not sure if that means other ADs does it?
                I would hope it would mean the league, but the way that it's worded in thr release doesn't make that clear. Either way this was an odd maneuver and it makes the league look bad once again.

Comment

This is the right thing. Whether he meant to or not he made contact with a student athlete. 4 games total is more appropriate. Time to move on but I hope Rick gets some help also, he could have lost his job over this if Buebla got hurt (God forbid).
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    This is the right thing. Whether he meant to or not he made contact with a student athlete. 4 games total is more appropriate. Time to move on but I hope Rick gets some help also, he could have lost his job over this if Buebla got hurt (God forbid).
                    I don't necessarily disagree with the sanctions, just the incompetent and possibly biased manner in which it was imposed and if other member institution officials were consulted, well then that's a lynching.

Comment

The ECAC front office is acting like an Italian Courthouse, Guilty! More Guilty!!!
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

I don't necessarily disagree with the sanctions, just the incompetent and possibly biased manner in which it was imposed and if other member institution officials were consulted, well then that's a lynching.
                        Possible power struggle between Stewart and Hagwell.

Comment

Not a great situation but Union will be ok next 4 games, players and coaches on same page. No excuses will be offered. Bennett has learned a tough lesson. Speaking of Bennett, I think a lot of ECAC schools would be thrilled to have him as coach including RPI.

Comment

ECAC Board - Jay Moran - President Elect
                            http://www.ecac.org/about/committees/board/index
                            ECAC Commissioner - Kevin McGinniss
                            http://www.ecac.org/Staff/staff/McGi...ter-decorator&
                            ECAC Commissioner STAFF
                            http://www.ecac.org/about/staff/index
                            ECAC Hockey Commissioner - Stephen Hagwell
                            http://www.ecachockey.com/women/Staff_Bios/index
                            Schott & Hagwell
                            http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...y-on-thursday/

The two major Youtube videos are approaching 50,000 views

Fox News - Canton, New York
                            http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...ch-line-012614
                            "The Best Western in Canton, N.Y., could be a swinging kind of place Friday night ... and not because of the musical entertainment in the lobby. That's where the Union and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute men's hockey teams reportedly are both scheduled to stay on road trips less than a week after their Mayor's Cup game ended in a nasty skirmish that saw the head coaches go after each other on the ice Saturday in Albany."

Some Humor
                            "I recently went to a fight...and all of a sudden a hockey game broke out"
                            "Sounds like a regular night out during hockey season in upstate New York."

You cannot image how far and wide this video has been circulated and where it is showing up. The new league ruling is starting to show up the news cycle all over again.
                            Last edited by Dutchman; 01-29-2014, 08:10 PM.
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

Fox News - Canton, New York
                              http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...ch-line-012614
                              "The Best Western in Canton, N.Y., could be a swinging kind of place Friday night ... and not because of the musical entertainment in the lobby. That's where the Union and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute men's hockey teams reportedly are both scheduled to stay on road trips less than a week after their Mayor's Cup game ended in a nasty skirmish that saw the head coaches go after each other on the ice Saturday in Albany."

Some Humor
                              "I recently went to a fight...and all of a sudden a hockey game broke out"
                              "Sounds like a regular night out during hockey season in upstate New York."

You cannot image how far and wide this video has been circulated and where it is showing up. The new league ruling is starting to show up the news cycle all over again.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DmYLrxR0Y8
                              Union College Hockey
                              2014 NCAA National Champions
                              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nottme View Post
                                Bennett has learned a tough lesson.
                                It's a tough lesson to learn, but he has finally gained the wisdom to refrain from starting a fistfight with the opposing coach.
                                Originally posted by SJHovey
                                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                                X