Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    Was last night a dream? I'm honestly still in a state of shock. I know I haven't been around as long as some of you guys, but from the time I arrived on Union's campus as a Freshman in 2006, I was hooked. I was instantly a diehard fan. I thought we were so lucky to have a D-1 hockey team at such a small school. I didn't learn a lot of the history until a few years went by, but I quickly realized that the other teams in the league (and in the country) looked at us as a joke.

One of my best memories was back on January 20th, 2007 when we beat Clarkson in OT on a goal by TJ Fox. Clarkson was ranked 7th in the country at the time. I didn't think it could get any better than that. I'm happy I was wrong. I was very, very wrong. I also remember conversations with my friends on the way to the rink for the games on Friday/Saturday asking what would be crazier: _________ or a Union National Championship. Regardless of what _________ was, a Union National Championship was almost always the crazier option.

It's memories like these that made last night so incredible. I also remember where I was the first time I saw us in the "also receiving votes" on the USCHO Poll. I remember the first time we cracked the top 20. I remember the first time someone explained to me what the PWR were and how it was pretty much never relevant for Union. At one point, we reached #7 in the PWR my senior year but it was early in the season.

Each season it seemed like a new goal was reached. Getting a bye in the ECAC tourney for the first time. Actually *winning* our first ECAC tourney series. Making it to the ECAC Final 4 for the first time. Making it to the ECAC Championship for the first time. Making the NCAA Tourney for the first time. Winning our first NCAA Tourney game. Making the Frozen Four for the first time. And now this: Making it to the Championship game and actually WINNING THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Just being inside an arena with 18,000 other college hockey fans was incredible in itself. At one point late in the 1st Period, the "LET'S GO U" chant was so loud it seemed like the building was shaking. The Union showing was very impressive considering how small the school is -- It also didn't hurt that seemingly every ND/BC fan was pulling for Union as well.

We sure picked a good time to have our best offensive game of the season. Wilcox is an incredible goalie and the Minnesota defense is extremely tough so scoring 7 goals is an amazing accomplishment. The onslaught on the 1st period was unexpected and unlike anything I had ever seen before. The first period honestly felt like an entire game.

We have some phenomenal individual players, but Union truly plays like a team.

The Postgame celebration at Xfinity was epic and I'm glad I remember it. I saw a lot of my old friends from the hockey team (2006-2010) for the first time since graduating and they were equally as excited/in shock as me. President Ainlay also made a brief appearance proudly wearing his National Championship hat. This would also be a good time to mention how classy Minnesota fans are. I lost track of how many different fans came up to congratulate us on the National Championship. I kept getting stopped by fans wearing gopher jerseys to tell me what a great team we have and how we 100% deserved it. That made the celebration even more amazing. I was also lucky enough to get a piece of the net and the giant frozen four banner with all of the team logos that was hanging on the Xfinity/Enterprise stage.

I can't thank Coach Bennett, President Ainlay, and the players for giving us this Championship. None of the teams I root for had ever won it all until last night and it's a feeling I won't soon forget.

Sorry for the scattered rant -- I'm in a car on the way back from Philly and staying up/out until 5:00 didn't help.
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing....congrats!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I can't top or add much to what UHM said, other than the ride from 3-26-3 to last night has been nothing short of amazing. I still keep wondering if all of that really happened, but seeing the congrats from all other college hockey fans and rivals is making it sink in.

Thank you to the seniors - Bodie, Sullivan, Hatch, Ikkala, and Carr - who are undoubtedly the most successful class in their D1 history. Thank you to Ghost (who I fully expected to be restricted from leaving the building by the Flyers management) for being the best player in the country, despite what the Hobey Baker voters say. Thank you to the rest of the players, coaches, and training & equipment staffs for working hard and supporting the best team in the country.

My season tickets will be renewed and I will be there for the banner raising, come hell or high water.

Rick Bennett said after their first ECAC championship that they can finally call themselves champions. That takes on a greater meaning today.
      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Congratulations to Union. Pretty dominant run thru the playoffs. Safe to say defense and goaltending took a back seat to your best offense in the country this game but being such a complete team carried you thru. Stevens and the d were there when needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
          Congratulations to Union. Pretty dominant run thru the playoffs. Safe to say defense and goaltending took a back seat to your best offense in the country this game but being such a complete team carried you thru. Stevens and the d were there when needed.
          Bodie and Ghost were huge part of offense

semis and finals

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
            Audio of Matt DuBrey and Brian Unger as Kevin Sullivan seals the deal - http://t.co/H6tK8q73Jj (this is going to give any Union fan the chills)

Video of Union's postgame press conference: http://youtu.be/VB0bQfwzGtY
            Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
            This is going to take some time to sink in... still kind of awe struck by the whole thing. It's something anyone associated with the program -- players, staff, media, fans, etc -- will never forget. Having to beat BC and Minnesota to do it makes it even more impressive.

What a season.

Here's a recap of the game: http://t.co/hs0nHrDsgf

Here's a couple more gems from the Union radio team:

End of game/reflections: http://t.co/afKrzPFNRo

Bodie's empty-netter: http://t.co/pA7Ku1XY1T ("Go crazy, Electric City, Union College is going to bring home the NCAA championship!" - Matt DuBrey)
            Just listened to these radio clips and the ones for the goals gave me chills. If you haven't listened to them (again),do it now and save them for the future. Great day for Union.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Congratulations to Union. You guys were clearly the best team in the tourney. I still can't respect Coach Bennett for what he did earlier in the season but I give all the credit in the world to the boys on the ice.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
              12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                Just listened to these radio clips and the ones for the goals gave me chills. If you haven't listened to them (again),do it now and save them for the future. Great day for Union.
                I've probably listened to all of them more times than I can count. They absolutely nailed those calls.

Comment

Here's a couple videos -

The team returns to Messa Rink as national champions: http://youtu.be/0_yYAYcjDg4

The Union hockey pep band plays ahead of the team's arrival home: http://t.co/l5d1sXpEoD

Comment

Still hasn't really sunk in yet. Can't wait to watch the game again after the Masters. Wow. Major perma-smile.

U!
                    Your Mama loves the Q!

Comment

• Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                      Congratulations to Union. You guys were clearly the best team in the tourney. I still can't respect Coach Bennett for what he did earlier in the season but I give all the credit in the world to the boys on the ice.
                      to a player they would probably tell you to stick your compliment up your a&&. . there is a reason they rallied around him and ran the table the past 2+months vs quitting at home and losing to a lower seed.

Comment

Working...
                      X