Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Old thread here: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ee-Peat/page57

Since the last 20+ pages of the old thread were not about hockey, let's start of this thread with a hockey-related question: How does everyone expect Union to fare in the North Country without Coach Bennett and Bodie for two games and without Eli and Ciampini for one game? A weekend sweep would be huge for this team to move on from last weekend and get back on the right track.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat? (Part II)

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post

Since the last 20+ pages of the old thread were not about hockey, let's start of this thread with a hockey-related question: How does everyone expect Union to fare in the North Country without Coach Bennett and Bodie for two games and without Eli and Ciampini for one game? A weekend sweep would be huge for this team to move on from last weekend and get back on the right track.
    I think we are going to have a very difficult time. Even if we were at full strength we would have a fight on our hands. Being without Bodie against these teams is going to put great stress on our forwards to come back and help out. I don't like it. Bodie does all those little things that make this a great team. Clarkson is 8-2 at home including wins over Yale and Brown. St. Lawrence is one of the top scoring teams in the country. If their goalie has a hot night we are in trouble.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I think it will be a challenge this weekend, however, I have stated before that the Union system is built upon back-ups stepping into vacancies left by either injured or "naughty" starters. Also, I feel this applies to the coaching staff. RB was very emphatic during the presser on Monday that he felt OK about having his assistants run the show...Playing away is always tough, especially with weather and being in a hostile arena, but I would be surprised if we failed to come home with at least two points...
      Keith Reynolds
      Union College
      Class of 1992
      B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
      Class of 2001
      M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post

Expect 4 pts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          Even if we were at full strength we would have a fight on our hands.
          No more fighting!
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I like our chances vs. St. Lawrence, apparently they have a weak defense and goalie, but they do have some scorers we have to watch. Clarkson will be a battle, but I'm hoping for a positive outcome as always. We have a deep team, guys will have to step up, but after this weekend I think we come back a better and closer team with everybody back.
            Union College Hockey
            2014 NCAA National Champions
            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              No more fighting!
              LOL.. thanks, that's the first time I've laughed in a couple days.

A lot of unknowns going into next weekend. Will have 3 freshmen on D all weekend, and I'm assuming Mark Bennett, Coatta & maybe Gonye will have to step up on Friday. More unknown is just what the mental makeup of the team will be. They were very loose and sloppy last weekend and lucky to get 2 points from Harvard. SLU is very good offensively and Clarkson has good defense/goaltending. The question is whether the boys can get back to playing physical disciplined hockey that wins in the ECAC.. the other question (at least in my mind) is how the refs will respond to Union after THE FRACAS.
              Last edited by ADK11; 01-28-2014, 03:43 PM.
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Free HD broadcast of Friday's game at St. Lawrence:

http://www.saintsathletics.com/sport...x?path=mhockey

Comment

Two years ago we did very well on the road. Last year we were more of a home team, especially down the stretch. This year we are outstanding on the road:
                  9-1-2, with our only loss at QU (Times Union was neutral). Compare this to RPI, 4-7 on the road. Clealry playing away from Achilles has not hurt us. St. Lawrence has a great power play and we will have to face the Carey Brothers. The Saints are going to be smarting from the Colgate Loss and will have something to prove, but we faced that at N.H, who, despite all those injuries, later split with Maine.
                  DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                  DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

WINS & TIES AGAINST RANKED OPPONENTS:
                    I know that SLU has been struggley but:
                    WINS:
                    North Dakota
                    Maine (2)
                    Ferris
                    Northeastern
                    TIES:
                    Yale
                    Cornell
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Two years ago we did very well on the road. Last year we were more of a home team, especially down the stretch. This year we are outstanding on the road:
                      9-1-2, with our only loss at QU (Times Union was neutral). Compare this to RPI, 4-7 on the road. Clealry playing away from Achilles has not hurt us. St. Lawrence has a great power play and we will have to face the Carey Brothers. The Saints are going to be smarting from the Colgate Loss and will have something to prove, but we faced that at N.H, who, despite all those injuries, later split with Maine.
                      We've had something to prove all season and we are still waiting to prove it. Fact is our last league win was in mid-November against Dartmouth and we started out trying to find a way to lose that game too with two majors in the first. Our last win was after Thanksgiving at North Dakota.

If Union can keep the play in our zone, where we are a disaster as apparently our guys have forgotten playing defense is also a part of winning hockey, you will take the pressure of a depleted D corps and we make it easy to score. If SLU can get the forecheck working and win some neutral zone puck possession battles, we have a chance. If this season is to have any hope for us, it has to start this weekend. If not, we sure wish you well in the NCAA's.
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

WINS:
                        North Dakota
                        Maine (2)
                        Ferris
                        Northeastern
                        TIES:
                        Yale
                        Cornell
                        We started 6-2-2 and could beat anyone then. Cornell was our first point since 11/29. How did we build on that? We got hammered by a team we have owned giving them several easy 3rd period goals.
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

WINS:
                          North Dakota
                          Maine (2)
                          Ferris
                          Northeastern
                          TIES:
                          Yale
                          Cornell
                          SLU has had a single tie (Cornell) since Thanksgiving out in North Dakota where they split. Also split against lowly RIT before that. Swept by Clarkson, 2 losses to Vermont, 2 losses to Brown and Yale, and another against Colgate. Also haven't given up less than 4 goals since Thanksgiving.

5 of the 7 games you mention came from the first 4-5 weeks of the season, where SLU was playing pretty good hockey. Since then, it is truly a completely different attitude on the ice.

Comment

My hope is that the team has RB's back and comes out playing a lot harder than they did last weekend. Leadership will be crucial and there are character guys aplenty on this team who can fill in for their absent captain. Joe Dumais and Jason Tapp are savvy guys who spend a lot of practice time on ice with the boys and I'm sure they will respond positively. For that matter I'm also hearing good things about Jon Ronan so there will be plenty of bench leadership. I think I'm more concerned about whether the week's ordeal will leave the team emotionally drained. I'm guessing not. A credo of this team is responding to adversity and they've had plenty of that to deal with. I think they will circle the wagons and come home with 3 or 4 more points.

Comment

Did anyone listen to USCHO live?
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                              X