X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU 2013-14 (Part II): Crash before the Phoenix

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Windy with morning showers evolving to a steady, soaking rain in the afternoon. High around 55F. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

Good thing they moved the game to the afternoon.
    I have the solution, start playing hockey indoors. Find a way to have ice inside the building, maybe some kind of refrigeration setup and then they can play hockey all the time, even in a crazy place like Florida or Arizona.

I suspect a poll of potential attendees would suggest to move the game to the garden or some other place where they might have already discovered the rink with a roof concept. It is all the rage in Europe.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
      BU Hockey 2013-14: We Got Ourselves a Natural Disaster!
      It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
        On the bright side, beer is still $8.03
        So at least we have that going for us.

That was for a "premium" beer right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Agree with a lot of the comments here. BU has no confidence and they're getting killed with listless and unfocused play because of it. I don't mind if players with little talent aren't making a difference, but O'Regan, Hohmann, Gretzky, etc look lost out there.

Quinn needs to pull these guys aside and tell them to just go out there, have fun, and that he's going to use the rest of the year to try different line combos and pairings to see what works for next year. Maybe somebody surprises you, but perhaps the random punishments handed out over the last several years is causing players to not want to make a mistake for fear of getting benched. With a young team, they should be making mistakes and learning from them. This is a far different team than I saw at the beginning of the year in terms of effort.
          ??? I"m not sure I'm following your logic here… the team was giving full effort earlier this year, but somehow halfway through the year they stopped trying as hard for fear of making mistakes because of benching etc handed out one, two and three years ago under a different coach who may or may not have had different discipline policies????

Comment

By the way the hourly forecast is looking sweeter and sweeter each time I check! The "showers" are supposed to turn to "rain" right about 12:00 tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
              So at least we have that going for us.

That was for a "premium" beer right?

Yes, paid $8.03 for Harpoon Winter Warmer.

Comment

is Agganis free tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  is Agganis free tomorrow?
                  Next event isn't until Wednesday 1/15: http://www.agganisarena.com/events/c...r/calendar.asp

The last thing I wanna see tomorrow from either game is a significant injury resulting from poor ice/weather conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                    Next event isn't until Wednesday 1/15: http://www.agganisarena.com/events/c...r/calendar.asp

The last thing I wanna see tomorrow from either game is a significant injury resulting from poor ice/weather conditions.
                    I know you're connected in the circles of the team, please tell me someone has enough level-headedness to call this game off tomorrow, or at least move it to Sunday. The forecast is 100% chance of rain/wind and 50+ degrees. If I'm Quinn, I call Bertagna this afternoon and tell him I'm refusing to send my team on the bus, that weather is a recipe for disastrous injuries.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I know you're connected in the circles of the team, please tell me someone has enough level-headedness to call this game off tomorrow, or at least move it to Sunday. The forecast is 100% chance of rain/wind and 50+ degrees. If I'm Quinn, I call Bertagna this afternoon and tell him I'm refusing to send my team on the bus, that weather is a recipe for disastrous injuries.
                      I wish I had more info on what, if any, communication there has been between any of the participating teams and HE regarding player safety. If I had a say, I would suggest rescheduling to Sunday. If MLB postpones games under similar weather conditions, I don't see any risks with rescheduling the games to Sunday. Ice may still be far from ideal, but at least you don't have to fight Mother Nature.

Logistically, I suspect Maine already has a hotel in Boston for tomorrow night, so the only impact playing on Sunday would have on them is they'd return to Orono later on Sunday.

Comment

A few other points:

1) If Parker was still BU's coach, I don't think BU would even be playing Frozen Fenway. I think he would have declined the opportunity and wouldn't have given up a home game for this. I believe he felt the original event had a special place and it should've been left at that.

2) As a player/coach/staff/fan/etc. I'd be really PO'ed if HE decides last-minute tomorrow on a different course of action impacting both games. Making the decision they made yesterday is one thing; not making a decision today based on the information available is anything but responsible.

3) If I were Joe Bertagna, the well-being and safety of the players (and officials) should take priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                          A few other points:

1) If Parker was still BU's coach, I don't think BU would even be playing Frozen Fenway. I think he would have declined the opportunity and wouldn't have given up a home game for this. I believe he felt the original event had a special place and it should've been left at that.

2) As a player/coach/staff/fan/etc. I'd be really PO'ed if HE decides last-minute tomorrow on a different course of action impacting both games. Making the decision they made yesterday is one thing; not making a decision today based on the information available is anything but responsible.

3) If I were Joe Bertagna, the well-being and safety of the players (and officials) should take priority.
                          I agree, the correct course of action would be to at the very least announce today the game is being pushed to Sunday or another day, or the most appropriate action would be to move it to a completely different site and end this ridiculous charade.

That said, since it hasn't been reported here, #5 dislocated his shoulder in practice yesterday apparently and will be out for "a long time." Stupendous!
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

The Frozen Fenway logo should be replaced with this:

http://thabto.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/islanders.gif #GortonsFishermen

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              ??? I"m not sure I'm following your logic here… the team was giving full effort earlier this year, but somehow halfway through the year they stopped trying as hard for fear of making mistakes because of benching etc handed out one, two and three years ago under a different coach who may or may not have had different discipline policies????
                              I can tell you they seem much, much, MUCH more tentative now than at the start of the year. That could be for several reasons. 1) they still haven't picked up a new system and the longer you go without doing so the more frustrated you get, 2) they may have expected a grace period from losing ice time due to in-game mistakes as a new coach came in, but now that we're into the second half of the season that no longer applies, 3) Quinn banned naked midnight ice skating when he discovered it was still going on, and that caused a collapse in morale.

I don't know the cause, but I do know what I see on the ice. Its lackluster play out of just about everybody.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I agree, the correct course of action would be to at the very least announce today the game is being pushed to Sunday or another day, or the most appropriate action would be to move it to a completely different site and end this ridiculous charade.
                                I hope they do not play it like a baseball game and drag everyone in there to cancel the game 20 minutes before puck drop. Would be good of them to give as much advance notice as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X