This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    ...From the guy who shows up to ~1/3 of the games.

Let's see- Mookie came to
    Lowell
    Both UVM
    Dartmouth
    Mack
    Both Sioux
    Bucky

Will be getting in both games this weekend.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-14 (Part II): Crash before the Phoenix

Parking prices are insane!

And Mookie has been to 1/2 HAA games
      So there

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Honestly, after Baillergeon, O'Regan, Rodrigues, Hohmann, and Lane, nobody should consider themselves safe. and even Hohmann should really be on a third line, second line at best. I like what I see out of Duane, from a long-term perspective, I think he can turn into a very solid third liner. But he isn't there now.
        Roberto is a definite addition to the list. Late bloomer player who I believe has great upside.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Will be getting in both games this weekend.
          Mookie bring girl to Whitt for V-Day?
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
            Mookie bring girl to Whitt for V-Day?
            Ah no
            Girl stay home and do dishes

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
              Roberto is a definite addition to the list. Late bloomer player who I believe has great upside.
              Opps, I meant to have him on there. I had him originally. I acutally didn't inlcude Hohmann and Rodrigues originally. But then decided to add them and somehow forgot to put him back on. I agree he has a lot of upside.

And while I don't intend to insinuate that I see him turning into a definite "returner", I liked what I've seen out of Collier lately. Still a bottom six forward but I think he has taken advantage of the extra playing time. Lot's of hustle and seems to be in better position more frequently. baby steps.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                I realize this is your opinion and I hope you're right, but I haven't seen anything (except for the PC game in November) to support this statement. The talent is sub-par. The coaching has been worse. (poor effort, poor execution, no offensive flow or plan, porous defense.)

“A lack of urgency. Too often we’d get a puck and have no idea what to do with it.” - David Quinn, head hockey coach, Boston University. It's mid-February and his team doesn't know what to do with the puck.

I'm not calling for him to be fired. (We aren't the Cleveland Browns.) But, he needs to step his game up about 4 notches if he wants to be a successful D1 coach.

BU Hockey: On the BU Basketball Bandwagon.
                I agree with what you are saying... plenty of question marks on what we have seen this season. My opinion is more on my impression of Quinn as a person, what I see them doing for recruting and what I have heard about him from the hockey people who know a lot more about it than i do.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  For returning players whom Quinn may have difficult conversations with this offseason...If they commit themselves to working their hardest to earn a roster spot next season and end up getting rewarded for their efforts where we see much improved play from them, those players will certainly earn my respect.
                  I agree with that. I'm not even sure how difficult that conversation is. "Next year we are going to have more guys than roster spots like every team is supposed to, and every player is going to have an equal opportunity to earn playing time".

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    I think a major roster change is definitely in order and I think that is why we have seen our recruiting class grow so large. I know injuries and defections ave forced DQ's roster this season, but the number of players on this team that would not make a Top Ten team roster not small. Honestly, after Baillergeon, O'Regan, Rodrigues, Hohmann, and Lane, nobody should consider themselves safe. and even Hohmann should really be on a third line, second line at best. I like what I see out of Duane, from a long-term perspective, I think he can turn into a very solid third liner. But he isn't there now.

On D, I think Somerby will mature into a good player, maybe even a dominating force. Ahti looks like he'll be an enigma for his whole career, but his offense will keep him in the line-up. Grizzy is clearly a top shelf player. But McAfee will have to work hard to stay in the lineup next season. And the two seniors, well, they won't be missed. Noonan had some good years with this team, but this isn't one of them.
                    With your later addition of Roberto, your assessment of returnees to be counted on are spot on, but besides another large freshman class, I don't anticipate a "major roster change"--at least not one involving multiple deletions. At forward, six returnees--Hohmann, Rodrigues, O’Regan, Lane, Baillargeon, Roberto--plus three freshman--Eichel, Phelps and Greer (who is accelerating)--should comprise the top nine. Another freshman forward is likely as well. Of the other six, Duane, Collier, Moran, Kelley, Lawrence and Ryan (better suited at forward and there's a logjam on D), the first three could form an effective fourth line. Even with a fourth freshman, that's 16 forwards and especially after this season Quinn isn't going with fewer than that. So, we should expect a talent upgrade with the three (or four) highly-regarded freshman arriving, while both departing seniors never played above the fourth line.

Four Ds are coming in with MacLeod and Hickey likely the most ready for prime time, while Diffley and Abramson are late bloomers who have excelled this season. Grzelcyk and Okasanen will be regulars and probably Somerby, too, as you suggest. MacAfee is an enigma, who played effectively early on--showing good judgement on pinching and a knack for getting the puck on the net; now inconsistent and not playing as confidently. But will Quinn start 3 freshman on defense? That's risky even with talented kids. Regardless of who gets ice time, that's eight defensemen--a full complement for a change.

24 skaters and 3 or 4 goalies (if Moccia returns). If one or two players are not invited to return, it's getting pretty late in the year to add multiple players who could be contributors. Unlike this season, competition for ice time should be extreme. The roster change will be nine freshmen arriving, providing more talent and depth.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Reacting to defkit's assessment of BC: I don't think they lose again until November. And there's a good chance BU doesn't win again until November.
                      It Happened!!!!

Comment

demko is the biggest x factor in my opinion. if he keeps it up they might be able to get by with the one super line.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                          With your later addition of Roberto, your assessment of returnees to be counted on are spot on, but besides another large freshman class, I don't anticipate a "major roster change"--at least not one involving multiple deletions. At forward, six returnees--Hohmann, Rodrigues, O’Regan, Lane, Baillargeon, Roberto--plus three freshman--Eichel, Phelps and Greer (who is accelerating)--should comprise the top nine. Another freshman forward is likely as well. Of the other six, Duane, Collier, Moran, Kelley, Lawrence and Ryan (better suited at forward and there's a logjam on D), the first three could form an effective fourth line. Even with a fourth freshman, that's 16 forwards and especially after this season Quinn isn't going with fewer than that. So, we should expect a talent upgrade with the three (or four) highly-regarded freshman arriving, while both departing seniors never played above the fourth line.

Four Ds are coming in with MacLeod and Hickey likely the most ready for prime time, while Diffley and Abramson are late bloomers who have excelled this season. Grzelcyk and Okasanen will be regulars and probably Somerby, too, as you suggest. MacAfee is an enigma, who played effectively early on--showing good judgement on pinching and a knack for getting the puck on the net; now inconsistent and not playing as confidently. But will Quinn start 3 freshman on defense? That's risky even with talented kids. Regardless of who gets ice time, that's eight defensemen--a full complement for a change.

24 skaters and 3 or 4 goalies (if Moccia returns). If one or two players are not invited to return, it's getting pretty late in the year to add multiple players who could be contributors. Unlike this season, competition for ice time should be extreme. The roster change will be nine freshmen arriving, providing more talent and depth.
                          Duane really needs to improve his skating. I don't know if I've seen a slower skater at BU in the past 40 years. But he is a big kid with soft hands, and could make a big jump if he improves his skating.
                          I wouldn't give up on Collier or Kelley. Kelley is straight out of high school, so he probably could have used a year in the 'U', but he'll be okay. Same with Collier. Lawrence is a walk-on, a big body with reasonable skills. He isn't taking up a scholarship, and you need that kind of depth.

Two of the biggest areas that BU needs to dramatically improve are team speed and the defense getting the puck out of the zone.
                          When Ryan is on the ice, on D, they just can't get the puck out of the zone. The same when it is Somerby AND MacAfee. A year's experience should help them mature. So would playing with better players.
                          I know Ryan is a legacy, but there can't be too much room for sentiment.

Competition for spots can only help.
                          Right now there are too many players who either aren't good enough or aren't ready not having to fight for ice time.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                            Duane really needs to improve his skating. I don't know if I've seen a slower skater at BU in the past 40 years. But he is a big kid with soft hands, and could make a big jump if he improves his skating.
                            I wouldn't give up on Collier or Kelley. Kelley is straight out of high school, so he probably could have used a year in the 'U', but he'll be okay. Same with Collier. Lawrence is a walk-on, a big body with reasonable skills. He isn't taking up a scholarship, and you need that kind of depth.
                            How about John "Steamboat" Corriveau?
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                              Duane really needs to improve his skating. I don't know if I've seen a slower skater at BU in the past 40 years.
                              The only player whom I've seen first-hand anywhere near as slow as Duane was Mike Pandolfo as a Freshman. Thankfully he improved his skating significantly where it was no longer a liability when he was an upperclassmen.

If Duane can improve his skating the way the younger Pandolfo did, there's definitely potential for him to succeed given his size, reach, and hands.

Comment

Pando^2 was nowhere near as bad as this kid is now. Not only slow but looks down at the puck when he tries to stickhandle.

Makes me recall that patsies rb who held a football on the sidelines while benched. Wish Duane was made to skate to class!

He does have really good hands. I hope they are able to get him on ice 18hrs a day this summer so we can see what happens. I think there is a lot of upside considering what he's been able to do skating like this now!

Comment

Working...
                                X